Jump to content

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?


JSngry

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 80.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • soulpope

    8966

  • Peter Friedman

    7784

  • HutchFan

    7438

  • BillF

    5533

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

For what it's worth, this was the one Tommy Smith album that made me sit up at the time

 

 

Azure or Standards? I'll have a listen if the former as I don't know that record. 

I've always been a bit interested in the British scene of that time (the Silver Age?), as well as the equivalent scenes in other European countries. They're pretty much buried by history. Not golden age, so not reissued; not American, so not likely to be reissued; but also pre-internet, so generally not streamable.

As for Standards, it struck me as a record that didn't have much ambition beyond just playing. Loved the trenchcoat though.

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I always liked Smith's mellow blues disc, "BlueSmith" on Linn.

SMITH,TOMMY - Blue Smith - Amazon.com Music

Interesting, thanks! 

Edited by Rabshakeh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMG-5821.jpg

lovely series on High Note this is. Volume 1 is my favorite for the presence of Carter Jefferson and the compositions like Love Dance and Why. Stafford James plays some serious bass here :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kh1958 said:

The Descendants of Mike and Phoebe, The Spirit Speaksimage.jpeg.5a2be96f40533dace576496b949a2331.jpeg

:wub:

 

6 minutes ago, Pim said:

lovely series on High Note this is. Volume 1 is my favorite for the presence of Carter Jefferson and the compositions like Love Dance and Why. Stafford James plays some serious bass here :)

Yes!  Mine too.  :tup

 

 

NP:

71zRaWV4jCL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Disc 2

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Azure or Standards? I'll have a listen if the former as I don't know that record. 

I've always been a bit interested in the British scene of that time (the Silver Age?), as well as the equivalent scenes in other European countries. They're pretty much buried by history. Not golden age, so not reissued; not American, so not likely to be reissued; but also pre-internet, so generally not streamable.

As for Standards, it struck me as a record that didn't have much ambition beyond just playing. Loved the trenchcoat though.

Interesting, thanks! 

Azure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Pim said:

IMG-5821.jpg

lovely series on High Note this is. Volume 1 is my favorite for the presence of Carter Jefferson and the compositions like Love Dance and Why. Stafford James plays some serious bass here :)

😍 .... btw Vol. 2 features "Isabel The Liberator" with Carter Jefferson on 🔥fire🔥 ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

:wub:

 

In 1991, I saw Bill Lee leading a group and performing his own compositions at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth. I didn't know any of the sidemen at the time, but the concert and compositions were superb. He was very impressive as a bassist, composer and leader. Too bad there is not much recorded evidence of this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

In 1991, I saw Bill Lee leading a group and performing his own compositions at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth. I didn't know any of the sidemen at the time, but the concert and compositions were superb. He was very impressive as a bassist, composer and leader. Too bad there is not much recorded evidence of this.

I wish I could have been there with you to see & hear that!  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, soulpope said:

😍 .... btw Vol. 2 features "Isabel The Liberator" with Carter Jefferson on 🔥fire🔥 ....

Oh yes the whole series is great. But if if I had to pick one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Pim said:

Oh yes the whole series is great. But if if I had to pick one

Agreed .... the track I've mentioned is sort of a "missing link", as the remainder of Vol 2 and Vols 3 + 4 don't feature Carter Jefferson at all ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...