• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-1651214579.jpeg

👍 :D

9 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Tonight's listening - a couple of CD's my good friend BillF kindly shared with me from his collection. There were at least 15-20 more.  

Primary

Yes a good one - have the vinyl

18 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

:D 👍

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've never heard that one, T.D.  What are your thoughts?

It's one of those "historically significant" albums. I got it pretty recently, am still evaluating. On first listen I was unimpressed, but am now liking it better. The album starts out as kind of straight-ahead but transitions (Free Form Suite) to exploratory and eventually outside. I'm partial to Takayanagi's late weird/noisy material, and the final track (3d movement of Free Form Suite) is very much in that wheelhouse.

At this stage I'd say "interesting" rather than "essential", although that final track is really outstanding. At this point I overall prefer the Cool Jojo (straight-ahead, even Tristano style) and Takayanagi's Angry Waves 850113 (outside/noisy) albums somewhat. I don't regret getting this recording, however.

39 minutes ago, T.D. said:

OTktNjAwOS5qcGVn.jpegNDgtMzU4My5qcGVn.jpeg

I really like that album's arc. 

11 minutes ago, T.D. said:

It's one of those "historically significant" albums. I got it pretty recently, am still evaluating. On first listen I was unimpressed, but am now liking it better. The album starts out as kind of straight-ahead but transitions (Free Form Suite) to exploratory and eventually outside. I'm partial to Takayanagi's late weird/noisy material, and the final track (3d movement of Free Form Suite) is very much in that wheelhouse.

At this stage I'd say "interesting" rather than "essential", although that final track is really outstanding. At this point I overall prefer the Cool Jojo (straight-ahead, even Tristano style) and Takayanagi's Angry Waves 850113 (outside/noisy) albums somewhat. I don't regret getting this recording, however.

I don't know 'Angry Waves' but have just sampled it online and it sounds great. If they weren't all so expensive I'd love to deep dive into Takayanagi's discography as I feel I haven't really got a grasp on him with the four or so titles I own or heard

23 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Good deal.  Thx for sharing your impressions.  :tup

23 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I really like that album's arc. 

I don't know 'Angry Waves' but have just sampled it online and it sounds great. If they weren't all so expensive I'd love to deep dive into Takayanagi's discography as I feel I haven't really got a grasp on him with the four or so titles I own or heard

Same.

Takayanagi was a huge part of my musical development. I sent a friend who was going to Japan to buy me Kaoru Abe CDs and he came back with a bunch of Takayanagi, including Deconstructive Sympathy / Kaitaiteki Kokan, which was the least musical thing I had heard up to that point, and really put the Abe solo stuff in its place.

I have no real feel for Takayanagi's timeline though.

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Same.

Takayanagi was a huge part of my musical development. I sent a friend who was going to Japan to buy me Kaoru Abe CDs and he came back with a bunch of Takayanagi, including Deconstructive Sympathy / Kaitaiteki Kokan, which was the least musical thing I had heard up to that point, and really put the Abe solo stuff in its place.

I have no real feel for Takayanagi's timeline though.

The timeline isn't that clear to me. Some earlier recordings are straight-ahead, and some later works are extremely abrasive / noisy. But I'm not sure his style followed a smooth trajectory, because the dates of certain "conventional" and "weird" recordings are really close together.

Granted I've so far shied away from the noisiest material such as Mass Hysterism, 😉 and don't have very many recordings.

8 minutes ago, T.D. said:

The timeline isn't that clear to me. Some earlier recordings are straight-ahead, and some later works are extremely abrasive / noisy. But I'm not sure his style followed a smooth trajectory, because the dates of certain "conventional" and "weird" recordings are really close together.

Granted I've so far shied away from the noisiest material such as Mass Hysterism, 😉 and don't have very many recordings.

Yeah. The Kaitaiteki Kokan one I mentioned is actually early for him and for Abe.

5 hours ago, T.D. said:

I thought "Free Form" was mostly lame hippie crap (I don't remember if there actually was tambourine there, but it very much felt like it), but "Angry Waves" is excellent. If anybody wants to buy my CD copy of "Free Form", let me know.   

Edited by Д.Д.