Jump to content

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?


JSngry

Recommended Posts

Now streaming:

NzYtODM0Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Vibraphone – Johnny Rae
Flute, Bass Clarinet – Herbie Mann
Piano – Bob Corwin
Bass – Jack Six
Drums – "Philly Joe" Jones
Percussion – Carlos "Patato" Valdes, Jose Mangual, Victor Pantoja

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 80.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • soulpope

    8966

  • Peter Friedman

    7784

  • HutchFan

    7438

  • BillF

    5533

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now streaming:

NzYtODM0Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Vibraphone – Johnny Rae
Flute, Bass Clarinet – Herbie Mann
Piano – Bob Corwin
Bass – Jack Six
Drums – "Philly Joe" Jones
Percussion – Carlos "Patato" Valdes, Jose Mangual, Victor Pantoja

👍 :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, T.D. said:

This looks good, but I haven't heard it. 

I really enjoyed it. Very fast paced free jazz piano / drum duet. The piano reminds me strongly of the fast bits in Cecil Taylor's music, but the drums are attempting to challenge rather than support.

I'll check out the Recursive Tree. Looks good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, rostasi said:

It's turned into a ritual that's lasted for 44 years,
but it's an enjoyable thing to play this work (with interview)
every St. Patrick's Day (and sometimes even broadcasting it on this day).

031701.jpg

Great idea!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Betty Carter with Geri Allen “Love Notes” Jazz Door cd

8843bd2dc299110e2140d69f1b8b0552ff29f475

An unofficial cd that I had not known of til last week. New to me Betty Carter. . . a great thing.

Bass – Dave Holland

Drums – Jack DeJohnette

Piano – Geri Allen

Vocals – Betty Carter

Recorded live in the U.S.A. during the world tour 1993

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now streaming:

NzYtODM0Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Vibraphone – Johnny Rae
Flute, Bass Clarinet – Herbie Mann
Piano – Bob Corwin
Bass – Jack Six
Drums – "Philly Joe" Jones
Percussion – Carlos "Patato" Valdes, Jose Mangual, Victor Pantoja

This album was later reissued as St. Thomas under Herbie Mann's name on the Solid State label, with boring cover art.  As I was never able to find a clean LP of the UA release, I ended up placing the Solid State vinyl inside of a pristine UA sleeve.  This made me very happy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

This album was later reissued as St. Thomas under Herbie Mann's name on the Solid State label, with boring cover art.  As I was never able to find a clean LP of the UA release, I ended up placing the Solid State vinyl inside of a pristine UA sleeve.  This made me very happy!

Very nice.  Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference, no?  

Hearing Philly Joe with those three percussionists is something special.  :) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Very nice.  Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference, no?  

Hearing Philly Joe with those three percussionists is something special.  :) 

 

This has piqued my interest, off to find a stream.  

I can see what TTK mean about the alternative covers, although the Argentine pressing has a good one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

This has piqued my interest, off to find a stream.  

I can see what TTK mean about the alternative covers, although the Argentine pressing has a good one

The suite takes up one side of the record, and the other side is stand-alone tunes.  Both sides are good, but the suite side is the sweet side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

This has piqued my interest, off to find a stream.  

I can see what TTK mean about the alternative covers, although the Argentine pressing has a good one

It's good stuff!  After making With Flute to Boot with Machito, Mann formed his own Afro-Latin band.

Along with African Suite, I'm especially partial to Flute, Brass, Vibes and Percussion:) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

It's good stuff!  After making With Flute to Boot with Machito, Mann formed his own Afro-Latin band.

Along with African Suite, I'm especially partial to Flute, Brass, Vibes and Percussion:) 

 

Yes, I have the latter and really enjoy it. Not too sure why I missed the 'African Suite' album before now, although it's quite easy to get lost in Mann's discography I find.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, I have the latter and really enjoy it. Not too sure why I missed the 'African Suite' album before now, although it's quite easy to get lost in Mann's discography I find.

No doubt!  Partly due to the fact that Mann was incredibly prolific.  . . . Also, African Suite was released in Johnny Rae's name, rather than Mann's.  (I assume this was to get around contractual obligations.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Looks interesting.  The Feed the Fire band.  :tup

 

 

Yes, from the US tour.

 

Right now

ed38f53c024f0b41c01e8ed53791b731443decfb
 

Charles Mingus “Incarnations” Candid cd

This was released at first as an RSD LP and then last week luckily it was released as a great sounding cd. Features one previously unreleased track from a 1960 session.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...