Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Was not aware of the Gerry Mulligan Quartet recording @  Châteauvallon in 1971 feat the European Rhythm Machine aka Gordon Beck + Ron Mathewson + Daniel Humair ....

Yeah, and there are probably tapes in the French broadcasters' vaults...

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Was not aware of the Gerry Mulligan Quartet recording @  Châteauvallon in 1971 feat the European Rhythm Machine aka Gordon Beck + Ron Mathewson + Daniel Humair ....

12 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Yeah, and there are probably tapes in the French broadcasters' vaults...

I completely agree regarding Daniel Humair.  He was an amazing drummer.

BTW: Speaking of the European Rhythm Machine, you guys are aware of this recording on Dire (Italy, 1972), right?

NS01MDUzLmpwZWc.jpeg

If not, it's well worth investigating.

Herbie Hancock - Riot (Blue Note Japan). This somewhat rare Japanese CD of alternate takes from several of Herbie's Blue Note sessions was released in 1999 and didn't seem to sit on the shelves for long. All of these alternates have been released on various CDs over the years but I picked this up mainly due to its rarity.

image.jpeg.9f9b29a1c9c29c4a81f3bcef6e9c10ef.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Herbie Hancock - Riot (Blue Note Japan). This somewhat rare Japanese CD of alternate takes from several of Herbie's Blue Note sessions was released in 1999 and didn't seem to sit on the shelves for long. All of these alternates have been released on various CDs over the years but I picked this up mainly due to its rarity.

image.jpeg.9f9b29a1c9c29c4a81f3bcef6e9c10ef.jpeg

Just checked the 6CD Herbie Complete Blue Note box and all of those alternates seem to be included.

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Just checked the 6CD Herbie Complete Blue Note box and all of those alternates seem to be included.

I'm pretty sure that is why this CD was released in Japan. The box set had just come out in 1998 & I bet there were Japanese buyers who were not happy that they would have to buy that box if they wanted to hear these alternates. I also think that's why it is so rare. In general, the Japanese buyers don't seem to miss these alternate takes. A lot of Japanese CDs don't add anything to the original LP and they still sell.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

27 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Sounds logical !

Just listened again to that 6CD set again recently. Very enjoyable and the sound is not bad at all. I'm tempted to get the similar Dexter Gordon set.

I dumped both of those sets years ago because I found the sound harsh, which I blamed on the SBM mastering. Maybe with my failing hearing, I could listen to these now. :)

Barney Wilen with the Mal Waldron Trio - French Story (Pony Canyon UHQCD). I blame Lon for buying this. Years ago, I was not a big fan of Wilen and sold off a bunch, maybe even a few to him, and moved on. Now here I am, probably 25 years later, with 16 Wilen discs in my collection. :)

image.jpeg.1bbfc6ebf7326a6d35d37d6c5dec27e0.jpeg