So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

NC02NzI3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Pretty good record. The leader is to be commended for hiring up, spending that money, and getting a good record for it. He's an ok player, but let's just say that the extra help is the difference maker. Really nice tunes to boot!

• Replies 79.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, rostasi said:

image.jpeg.3e7578ec93d643391039989791ae897b.jpeg

New favorite display font!!!  Beautiful impact and amazing Readability.  This cover art is worth its salt in my book.  Who designed it??

On 3/23/2024 at 2:09 PM, Pim said:

Great! Unfortunately he has no plans to visit NL :( would like to see this trio 

On 4/14/2024 at 1:36 PM, jazzcorner said:

New Jazz 8273 - Jaky Byard "Hi-Fly" - rec. 1962 - Engineer: Rudy Van Gelder

43676710bx.jpg

43676711yl.jpg

43676712qo.jpg

Edited by Jon King
AD-HD

15 hours ago, soulpope said:

The duo with N-H O. Pedersen aka "Old Folks" a highlight ....

I don´t have this one, but I have some Steeplechase of Dex, some with Tete Montoliu, and my favourite is those two albums with Jackie McLean (The Meeting, The Source). But tastes are different and especially on those later Steeplechases I just can´t stand him anymore. Too many solos, and quite a lot of clichés , all them double grips with glissando, well and all those years with Oscar Peterson, well I prefer other European Bass players, Pierre Michelot, Günther Lenz from Germany is great, Peter Trunk when he was alive, or the legendary John Heart or so from UK . 

I think I have one more Steeplechase of Dex but exactly because NHOP is NOT on it. It´s one that has Sam Jones on bass and Al Foster on drums, so that´s the musicians I really like.....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I don´t have this one, but I have some Steeplechase of Dex, some with Tete Montoliu, and my favourite is those two albums with Jackie McLean (The Meeting, The Source). But tastes are different and especially on those later Steeplechases I just can´t stand him anymore. Too many solos, and quite a lot of clichés , all them double grips with glissando, well and all those years with Oscar Peterson, well I prefer other European Bass players, Pierre Michelot, Günther Lenz from Germany is great, Peter Trunk when he was alive, or the legendary John Heart or so from UK . 

I think I have one more Steeplechase of Dex but exactly because NHOP is NOT on it. It´s one that has Sam Jones on bass and Al Foster on drums, so that´s the musicians I really like.....

I can hear you, as  N-H Orsted Pedersen played on a lot of platters from the mid 70's onward .... btw his duo recording with Archie Shepp  "Looking At Bird" and the Dexter Gordon Trio gig "Lullaby For A Monster" (both on SteepleChase) are treasurous ....

A nice cool morning. Awake before the birds thanks to my old dog.

Starting off the day with Yusef Lateef, “Atlantic Lullaby: the Concert from Avalon,” Elemental cd 2

e2192e7d0813fa55ea0d0d80395a207bc93b6a20

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

I can hear you, as  N-H Orsted Pedersen played on a lot of platters from the mid 70's onward .... btw his duo recording with Archie Shepp  "Looking At Bird" and the Dexter Gordon Trio gig "Lullaby For A Monster" (both on SteepleChase) are treasurous ....

Well I don´t really buy much records, I think I didn´t buy those you mentioned because I was afraid it will be too much NHOP, I think I picked up the "Bitin the Apple" because it had other players, and Shepp playing Bird tunes I have one that is made in France in the late 70´s with one piano player I love very much: Siegfried Kessler, plus Bob Cunningham and Clifford Jarvis, I think I bought it then because it has the same personnel like the date Shepp played at "Kongresshaus", it was also them four. 
I love the way he plays "Parker´s Mood" and "Au Privave", that´s first rate modern bop......

About buying records I concentrate now on fellow musicians, I wanna here what they do on ther own albums, and I wanna give em support  buying them their records....thats some hot stuff they do.