Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

R-4634162-1416551205-5636.jpeg.jpg

Woody Shaw - Bemsha Swing (Blue Note)

Really great live Music, and Geri Allen very "Monkish"

18 hours ago, soulpope said:

c1434d38a8.jpg

I remember when I started to dig some so called "Free Jazz" after one year of listening to straight ahead jazz, and I was delighted that this is what I call "easy listening free jazz" since it has a swing Rhythm . 

It was harder for me to listen to free jazz with no theme and no Rhythm.... it took me some more years to dig it....

On 3.10.2020 at 10:37 PM, Peter Friedman said:

iu-1.jpeg

I love it, it really swings, and great the tunes where Kenny Burrell sit´s in. 

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

R-4165696-1389817024-8444.jpeg.jpg

Is it possible that this was later in the 70´s on the French "America" Label. They had a lot from the Debut-stuff, and as much as I remember, the LP was titled "My Little Cello". 
I had and still have some of those "America" LPs, they had fine Music, mostly Mingus, and were relativlely cheap for a Youngster.....

3 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Is it possible that this was later in the 70´s on the French "America" Label. They had a lot from the Debut-stuff, and as much as I remember, the LP was titled "My Little Cello". 
I had and still have some of those "America" LPs, they had fine Music, mostly Mingus, and were relativlely cheap for a Youngster.....

Sure!

R-2420792-1567097410-4755.jpeg.jpg

Now listening to:

R-2635032-1294319973.jpeg.jpg

R-3644864-1473534863-5024.jpeg.jpg

From the Mosaic Select.  This was a natural follow-up to the Mathews album with 'Hi-Fly' and Azzedin Weston.  If I listen to Kenny Barron later, that'll cover three of Monk's major successors.

I've had the set for a year or so and somehow haven't listened to the whole thing yet.  I've listened to the previously unreleased session with Cecil Payne, Ron Carter and Roy Haynes a ton, though.  

30 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Cassandra Wilson "Songs" Verve CD.  I have all but one of these on Winter&Winter cds of Cassandra's, but this is a nicely sequenced compilation I enjoy listening to. 

R-1770375-1242313455.jpeg.jpg

That was a very nice run of albums but on JMT rather than Winter&Winter, no?

Five years since her last release too. Too long.

Edit to add: reissues of JMT titles were on Winter&Winter, apologies. Stefan Winter ran both labels I think

Edited by mjazzg

6 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That was a very nice run of albums but on JMT rather than Winter&Winter, no?

Five years since her last release too. Too long.

Edit to add: reissues of JMT titles were on Winter&Winter, apologies. Stefan Winter ran both labels I think

Right, I had most on JMT and then rebought on Winter&Winter--they definitely sound better there.

A1TuWsCpvwL._SX425_.jpg

After my first set was scratched I gave Amazon a try. One disc can with minor scuffing but it played fine. Just a treasure trove of prime Prince. I've never been a huge bootleg collector, and what boots I do have are shows, this is awesome. It is very expensive but I feel worth the price. 

15 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

A1TuWsCpvwL._SX425_.jpg

After my first set was scratched I gave Amazon a try. One disc can with minor scuffing but it played fine. Just a treasure trove of prime Prince. I've never been a huge bootleg collector, and what boots I do have are shows, this is awesome. It is very expensive but I feel worth the price. 

I really want this!  Probably going to wait till I get my tax refund check early next year, though--most of which is set aside for practical matters, but there's $100+ that I'm reserving for an extravagant purchase... and this may well be the winning choice in that category.