Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

How is this one? I've skipped over it a few times in the used bins but have wondered how big of a mistake that is. 

Well worth the $2 I paid for it used!  Seems like a nice overview of that Gramavision period, with which I'm otherwise unfamiliar.  Nothing earth-shattering on first listen, but I enjoyed it enough to put it in my second-spin-before-filing pile.  

7 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Well worth the $2 I paid for it used!  Seems like a nice overview of that Gramavision period, with which I'm otherwise unfamiliar.  Nothing earth-shattering on first listen, but I enjoyed it enough to put it in my second-spin-before-filing pile.  

Nice, good to hear that. 

5 hours ago, rostasi said:

csEjvQR.jpg

Harris Eisenstadt - drums, compositions
Michael McGinnis - clarinet
Jason Mears - alto saxophone
Sara Schoenbeck - bassoon
Mark Taylor - french horn
Brian Drye - trombone
Jay Rozen - tuba
Jonathan Goldberger - electric guitar
Garth Stevenson - acoustic bass

That's a fine listen

Charlie Haden with Joe Henderson and Al Foster, "Montreal Tapes" Verve cd

charlie-haden-the-montreal-tapes-tribute

Love Joe in a trio format.

Followed by something very different. I wanted to hear some Pig Pen, so disc 2 from the newly released 50th Anniversary edtion of the "Grateful Dead" (Skull & Roses)

M_GratefulDeadSkullRoses630_032421.jpg

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

R-411113-1465222307-8068.jpeg.jpg

Pharoah Sanders' Message From Home. Mid-90s Laswell production that is really nice to listen to. If only I'd come across this stuff back when it was new, I probably would've been bitten by the jazz bug a whole lot earlier...

My copy was virtually a freebie - one of those ‘BMG Club’ issues that they used to do in North America back in the 90s to welcome punters into the fold. I think it was 5 CDs for  $10 Cdn or something crazy. Good selections on offer too.

Edited by sidewinder

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

My copy was virtually a freebie - one of those ‘BMG Club’ issues that they used to do in North America back in the 90s to welcome punters into the fold. I think it was 5 CDs for $10 or something crazy. Good selections on offer too.

Yeah, those were the days. Back when they had so much inventory they basically had to give it away via clubs and cutouts. 

Just now, Dub Modal said:

Yeah, those were the days. Back when they had so much inventory they basically had to give it away via clubs and cutouts. 

Other than a bit of writing on the insert saying ‘BMG Club’ they were the full deal. I recall at the time this deal was North America only and not available in Europe. Twas always thus..:D

Anthony Braxton "12 Compositions (ZIM)" Firehouse Records Blu-ray Audio disc, Composition 402

0024645648_10.jpg

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0024645650_10.jpg

https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0024645652_10.jpg

Braxton is almost always a difficult listen for me. . .I'm trying this one because it's 10 hours or so of music on a disc I got a bargain price on.

I'm enjoying it a bit. . . but Fiona the dachshund just left the room!

Edited by jazzbo