Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this comp's title a pun? I am not getting it.

Rab, I have no idea what that title means, why it was chosen.

I just took a quick look at Joel Dorn's introductory notes, and he doesn't say anything about it.

12 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Eddie Lockjaw Davis - The Heavy Hitter (Muse, 1979)

Outstanding. :tup

47 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Been listening to a lot of Red Garland recently, such a fine touch on that loud/soft keyboard mechanism.

Yeah, that was his trademark. And very very significant his chord-voicings when he plays those fantastic chord solos. 

3 hours ago, BillF said:

NS04ODA2LmpwZWc.jpeg

I must admit that I never listened to Baker oder Pepper in the 50´s , I think I heard a live date of Pepper from 1952 which is not bad. But I heard much Baker and Pepper live in the late 70´s and 80´s. Sounds much more interesting to me than the old Westcoasts, which sure had a big following, but somehow I can´t get the feeling I want to get. And them horrible album covers. Well, that was the life style then , I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Yeah, that was his trademark. And very very significant his chord-voicings when he plays those fantastic chord solos. 

I must admit that I never listened to Baker oder Pepper in the 50´s , I think I heard a live date of Pepper from 1952 which is not bad. But I heard much Baker and Pepper live in the late 70´s and 80´s. Sounds much more interesting to me than the old Westcoasts, which sure had a big following, but somehow I can´t get the feeling I want to get. And them horrible album covers. Well, that was the life style then , I suppose. 

A great session!  Compositions by Jimmy Heath who was in prison at the time - it's said the charts were smuggled out! Third horn by Phil Urso does real justice to Heath's wonderful writing.

I think this one contains all they did:

194701-chet-baker-art-pepper-picture-of-