• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, optatio said:

44538020lf.jpg

Wynton Kelly: Kelly At Midnite. Vee Jay / Blue Moon VJ-006 [1997]

Such a great pianist and a model of pianology for many many budding jazz pianists. He was a great influence for players I have heard or am friend with. Love to hear it. He is still THERE if you listen to them guys who know their instrument. 
I think he just had bad luck or was in the wrong place in the wrong time, since he could have become a big star as all others who worked with Miles for a longer period. But it seems that his style slowly got out of fashion as the 60´s went on, so I think he was quite poor in his last years. He had to tour a lot outside N.Y. 

27 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

71MFbyaOrtL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I saw a version of the Road Warrior band in Wigan about 3 years ago and they were very good indeed. Collins is a regular on the British scene and over the years I've seen him 4 times - often in the company of tenorman Brandon Allen.

5 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

51YyyC4oGLL._SY580_.jpgley and Sean Jones

You've got your copy early, David! (Release announced for 28th October.)

With Russell Hall, Kyle Poole, Patrick Bartley and Sean Jones, all of whom I know well from Live at Emmet's Place.

Awaited with expectation!

11 hours ago, BillF said:

You've got your copy early, David! (Release announced for 28th October.)

With Russell Hall, Kyle Poole, Patrick Bartley and Sean Jones, all of whom I know well from Live at Emmet's Place.

Awaited with expectation!

I think you’ll enjoy it! We received an advance promo of it at the station.

Right now:

giants-ap45-1.jpg

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I think you’ll enjoy it! We received an advance promo of it at the station.

Right now:

giants-ap45-1.jpg

Maybe my favourite from the "pre-quintet" period of the early Prestige albums Miles did in the first half of the 50´s . 
It´s strange that for "Bag´s Groove" you had to buy the other album with that title. 
I´m not into discography and details and for me it´s only the music that counts, but the way how they splitted sessions on different albums was a bit annoying . 

The best tune in my opinion, I mean the best of Miles and Monk colaborating is "Bemsha Swing". 
All that crap that was written about that session, but you hear "Bemsha" and you hear that musical love and respect between Miles and Monk. Listen how Miles really get´s INTO that tune. I love it, I love the whole session. 

4 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

.... The best tune in my opinion, I mean the best of Miles and Monk colaborating is "Bemsha Swing". 
All that crap that was written about that session, but you hear "Bemsha" and you hear that musical love and respect between Miles and Monk. Listen how Miles really get´s INTO that tune ....

Agreed ....