Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I worked on this reissue and was not credited. Sigh.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

I'm thankful for your input nevertheless .... I'm returning to this Uptown release regurarly ....

I think I have some Uptown albums, maybe one is a Charlie Parker-Dizzy Gillespie thing from the mid forties ? And maybe one of Hank Mobley live ? 

16 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

51mSrb-b2tL.jpg

I think I have this, but there were so many Sonny Rollins on Prestige in his early period......, I don´t know which is which. I hear Rollins on a Monk Prestige album under Monk´s Name and I hear Monk as a sideman on a Rollins album. Was it the same session. It was always strange with Prestige since many albums had complete different sessions on them, like a sampler. I think one track was there that I always will have in mind and it was "More than you know". It´s strange I don´t think Monk recorded that tune often, and I have read in a Monk bio that Monk shortly before his death when he had been inactive for almost a whole decade he wanted to play "More than you know" together with Barry Harris. It´s interesting that he chose that tune. I don´t even know if it´s true.

11 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Hank Mobley "Work Out" Universal Blue Note Japan SHM-CD UCCU-5931

fb3cda12-3665-4940-8775-d93944eb8b81_1.7

I think I played it many many years ago when a friend was visting and that there was a medium tempo blues in Bb which really grooves and the friend shouted out with enthusiasm "yeah, that´s it, that´s it " .....anyway when I was a starter I would buy anything that had Paul Chambers and Philly J.J on it, 

16 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

51mSrb-b2tL.jpg

I think I have this, but there were so many Sonny Rollins on Prestige in his early period......, I don´t know which is which. I hear Rollins on a Monk Prestige album under Monk´s Name and I hear Monk as a sideman on a Rollins album. Was it the same session. It was always strange with Prestige since many albums had complete different sessions on them, like a sampler. I think one track was there that I always will have in mind and it was "More than you know". It´s strange I don´t think Monk recorded that tune often, and I have read in a Monk bio that Monk shortly before his death when he had been inactive for almost a whole decade he wanted to play "More than you know" together with Barry Harris. It´s interesting that he chose that tune. I don´t even know if it´s true.

Got our first substantial snowfall last night (first snowfall was Monday night) and lost power for a few minutes and had no cable or internet from 6 a.m. til noon. Glad it came back!

First I listened to:

Billie Holiday "Lady Sings the Blues" Universal SHM-CD 2022

398-billie-holiday-lady-sings-the-blues-

This one really works well as an "album." I love Billie. My dog sank into a deep sleep the moment I put her on. . .almost every time. I think that means she loves her too.

Then:

"Lee Wiley Sings the Songs of George Gershwin and Cole Porter" . . . I have neglected revisiting Lee Wiley for too long.

41yBP5FW3KL._SY355_.jpg

Finally, right now:
Joe Henderson "Mode for Joe" Universal Japan SHM-CD 2022. This is a repressing of the fabled SHM-CD that had an alternate totally new until the Mosaic set came out. Got this and the Billie Holiday in a nice box from cdJapan yesterday.

NC03MTM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Finally, right now:

Joe Henderson "Mode for Joe" Universal Japan SHM-CD 2022. This is a repressing of the fabled SHM-CD that had an alternate totally new until the Mosaic set came out. Got this and the Billie Holiday in a nice box from cdJapan yesterday.

NC03MTM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

It is a shame none of the reissues reproduce the brown of the original.

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Gunter Hampel, Jeanne Lee, Toni Marcus – Waltz For 3 Universes In A Corridor (Birth, 1972)

R-3835327-1346269941-6883.jpg

Oosh this is a good one.

Hampel is someone that I still need to investigate more thoroughly.

All those Birth releases aren't exactly easy to find.  Then again, there's always listening via the internet, I suppose.  (It's not as much fun, though. ;))

NP:

6137+8hSFeL._SX522_.jpg

I assume it's a minority viewpoint, but I actually prefer Jobim's subsequent releases with Claus Ogerman -- Jobim aka Matita Perê, Urubu, and Terra Brasilis -- over the LPs arranged by Deodato -- Stone Flower and Tide.

Edited by HutchFan