So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

17 hours ago, John L said:

Yes.  The closest thing that we have are the Billy Eckstine band recordings from 1944-1945.  But Bird wasn't present on any of those.  

I heard that pre 1944 there was a recording "ban" whatever that means. That must have been a desaster for the record industry and for the musicians. Maybe it had to do with that scheiss-krieg and now we can´t hear much of the real story of the transition from swing to bop. Well there is "Early Bird" with the Jay McShann Orchestra that gives us a glimpse of how music was then, but I heard that Diz and Bird and Oscar Pettiford were on the street as early as 1943,44 ....

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Jazz Studio 5 by Ralph Burns (Album; Decca; DL 8235): Reviews, Ratings,  Credits, Song list - Rate Your Music

Listening to Dave Schildkraut with Stan Kenton, Johnny Richards, Miles, and Chuck Wayne and had to come back to this one.

I have heard Ralph Burns only on that "Saturday Night Jazz Session"  on the America Label, that group with Fats Navarro (the reason I bought it then in the 70´s ) , Allen Eager, Charlie Ventura, Buddy Rich and I think that first number "High on an Open Mike" started with Ralph Burns on piano. I remember it was a quite unusual style, mostly with very heavy block chords on that descending chords in the bridge (I think I remember the song is based on "If I had You" in the A section with a bridge of descending chords). 

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

a4167802306_10.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=cb189a

Disc 1.

That´s really a good group. That rhythm section, George Cables incredible solo on that long Art Pepper composition something with "Make a Wish" or so. I must admit I like the rhythm section more than the star himself, though sure he´s great. 

9 hours ago, John L said:

Pick this one up if you can still find it.  If I could have only one blues disc, it would be disc 2 from this set.  (It is not a selected compilation as the title might suggest but all of Muddy Waters' first recordings for Chess)

image.png.65d0f278ecc3d9a0987f9cfa1f5d0be8.png

So pleased I managed to see the Muddy Waters Blues Band. It was in 1969 in the unlikely setting of the Variety Club in the small town of Batley in Yorkshire. (Mind you, they also got Louis Armstrong on another occasion!) The Waters band was in a package with the Horace Silver Quintet (Brecker Bros) and a gospel group (Stars of Faith?)

2 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

👍

1 hour ago, BillF said:

So pleased I managed to see the Muddy Waters Blues Band. It was in 1969 in the unlikely setting of the Variety Club in the small town of Batley in Yorkshire. (Mind you, they also got Louis Armstrong on another occasion!) The Waters band was in a package with the Horace Silver Quintet (Brecker Bros) and a gospel group (Stars of Faith?)

👍

That Armstrong performance at Batley Variety Club (Yorkshire venue of the moment in the late 60s and flush with cash until it folded) was the last UK performance by the All Stars. I think it was that trip that a young Enrico Tomasso got presented with a trumpet by Louis at the airport, presumably Yeadon (Leeds/Bradford).

Alyn Shipton in his book tells a story about his school mates driving up to see the Armstrong Batley gig from Hampshire in a Dormobile driven by a 17 year old who had just passed his test. Alyn’s Mum put the stoppers on him going, needless to say the guys travelled safely and had a wonderful time.

5612d-front2b2.png

Excellent !

Edited by sidewinder

12 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I heard that pre 1944 there was a recording "ban" whatever that means. That must have been a desaster for the record industry and for the musicians. Maybe it had to do with that scheiss-krieg and now we can´t hear much of the real story of the transition from swing to bop. Well there is "Early Bird" with the Jay McShann Orchestra that gives us a glimpse of how music was then, but I heard that Diz and Bird and Oscar Pettiford were on the street as early as 1943,44 ....

1942–1944 musicians' strike - Wikipedia  there's lots more that could be said about this, but this is the basics.