Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/9/2023 at 8:19 AM, Gheorghe said:

Yes, that´s it ! And the Konitz session with Miles I think from 1951 with those strange titles "Odjenar", "Hi Beck" "Ezzthetics" . So actually I think I have three from Prestige. 

From "Ezz-Thetics" there exist 2 different versions with partly different titles

42946907sp.jpg

42946922qj.jpg

After spending some time with Braxton's 9 Compositions I moved to Mingus largely due to the convo in the Mingus 70s Atlantic box thread. Cued up a non-Atlantic with Mingus Dynasty but then went to Changes, Changes Two & Cumbia and Jazz Fusion. Good albums all, but Dynasty is something special. And dare I say that I hear a connection between it and Braxton's work. I'm not a musician so I can't say specifically what that connection is, but my brain was bridging them together somehow. Also, Cumbia's got some long songs that are broken up into specific passages. I thought it was interesting that those passages aren't named or broken up with movement titles. It's almost like they're medleys in some spots. 

NS0xOTQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

NS0zODc1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

OC0yNDE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

These Mingus album covers though 😆

MIles Davis “Kind of Blue” Mobile Fidleity SACD

Sounding fantastic today.

f30798d8b92bbff82e7f8b3f2a9334fb6a15320f

Followed by

Count Basie and His Orchestra “The Legend From the Pen of Benny Carter” WEA Japan/Roulette cd

a09c0eb3815e16222d50b3e479dba78c622312b0

Best I’ve ever heard this release.

15 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

From "Ezz-Thetics" there exist 2 different versions with partly different titles

42946907sp.jpg

42946922qj.jpg

The second one is the one I have. Some tunes on it sound very strange, like one that is called "Night Sounds" or something like that. And that´s a very very strange and dissonant version of "Night in Tunisia". 

13 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

After spending some time with Braxton's 9 Compositions I moved to Mingus largely due to the convo in the Mingus 70s Atlantic box thread. Cued up a non-Atlantic with Mingus Dynasty but then went to Changes, Changes Two & Cumbia and Jazz Fusion. Good albums all, but Dynasty is something special. And dare I say that I hear a connection between it and Braxton's work. I'm not a musician so I can't say specifically what that connection is, but my brain was bridging them together somehow. Also, Cumbia's got some long songs that are broken up into specific passages. I thought it was interesting that those passages aren't named or broken up with movement titles. It's almost like they're medleys in some spots. 

NS0xOTQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

NS0zODc1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

OC0yNDE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

These Mingus album covers though 😆

Thanks for your interesting remarks about "Cumbia". That suite-like composition has a special meaning to me since I heard it live before I heard it on record. I never thought about the thing you said that the different sections of it are not named or given movement titles. 
That whole list of movement titles is annoying on the other suite-like composition "Three or Four Shades of the Blues" where those section titles sometimes have dumb descriptions like the whole liner notes. 

Once I had to perform "Cumbia" on the request of the bass player I was playing with, shortly after the album had come out. I had to transcribe the parts (and I am the most lousy writer in the world), and had to give them sections "movement titles" so that we could rehearse the different movements. 
When there was the question who will sing that "Mama´s little baby" rap on that two beat feeling, they pointed at me because my voice would get closest to the voice on the record.