So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

I'm listening to some live tracks and demos that Jack Wilkins had on his now-disabled website.  He had 50 demos and live tracks available for streaming, with 10 of those available for free download.  I can't get any of the streaming tracks to play on the archive site, but at least I have an hourlong sampler.

• Replies 79.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/6/2023 at 4:48 PM, jazzcorner said:

Yes the early Prestige have 2 good  examples if you mean these?

Bild-Url: https://up.picr.de/45610675at.jpg

Is that from the Woofy 10 CD box?

Yes, that´s it ! And the Konitz session with Miles I think from 1951 with those strange titles "Odjenar", "Hi Beck" "Ezzthetics" . So actually I think I have three from Prestige. 

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

My5qcGVn.jpeg

Sellout? Hardly. Naive is more like it. And simultaneously depressing and funny. 

I want to hear it. I have read much about it and I think if I remember right Impulse! in the late 60´s early 70´s  made efforts to make "Free Jazz" more accesible for wider audiences, some kind of "Free Jazz light" . I think this one sold quite well. I saw it in the record stores when I was a teenie, but was a bit afraid to buy it for two reasons:

I was hip to late Trane, to Ornette, to Pharoah and Sun Ra, but was a bit afraid that Albert Ayler would be too radical for me to enjoy, which he sure wasn´t . And I didn´t like the cover photo. For first sight it looked to me like an unshaved pelvis

12 hours ago, Justin V said:

I'm listening to some live tracks and demos that Jack Wilkins had on his now-disabled website.  He had 50 demos and live tracks available for streaming, with 10 of those available for free download.  I can't get any of the streaming tracks to play on the archive site, but at least I have an hourlong sampler.

I miss the days when artists streamed stuff on their websites. I wish I had saved more of it for future listening as chances are that this material will never surface again - certainly not legitimately at least. I have a ton of live performances from Jeremy Pelt & Greg Osby, but there were several other artists who stopped hosting live material that I wished I'd saved. Those days are gone I guess.

7 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Replayed this one. . . like it a lot.

Rickie Lee Jones “Pieces of Treasure”

ec5b8ad6d13973a282aabc63b79ec351aab9a9dc

Listening to it now, really enjoying it a lot

4 hours ago, rostasi said:

050901.jpg

Always an interesting artist. Don't know this one

8 hours ago, BillF said:

61PNI4JOeZL._AC_SL1300_.jpg

Great version of "You Stepped Out of a Dream" as I remember. I played that tune in a bossa rhythm on stage but like to cook on those changes also in a brisk straight ahead tempo like it is here. Many dudes here play the also on that chords based "Chick´s Tune".