So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

6ffb4854329ce1cfbd36fac9f97e30fe6cd07367

Ivan “Boogaloo” Jones “Legends of Acid Jazz” (Vol. 1) Prestige cd

I love Jones’ playing and the guitar sound from his Barney Kessel Gibson model. These are perhaps my favorite two albums of his but I like all his work.

I love the way he snuck in the riff of “Sunshine of Your Love” in one of these tracks.

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Nice. How'd it turn out? 

This was my first listen of Cumbia and I dug it. A lot. Noticed the second track was recorded in Italy with what looks like a good amount of Italian musicians. Anyone know the story as to how that came about? 

Our live performance of "Cumbia" turned out very fine. I had got a percussion player added to the drummer. 

About the story: Mingus loved Italy and performed there often, in the same year he was involved in a discussion with a group of youngsters from the so called "Communist Party" where they said that concerts should be for free and Mingus snarled back "we play and you must pay". That´s what I remember what was written then. Anyway ....not to enter in politic matters, it´s easy to be a young communist in a democratic country where you didn´t have to live in a communist state, where the state controls who is allowed to perform and who not. 

Mingus was contacted by the italian filmmaker (I think his name was Daniel Senatore) . The "Todo Modo" never was performed live, but you can hear that the ideas of the a capella blowing (italian woodwinds added) stams from a short a capella "Love is a Dangerous Necessity" some years earlier. The different sections are swinging vehicles of a Blues in F with augmentit changes, and of "Peggy´s Blues Skylight", so there is nothing as special about it as on "Cumbia". The ending duet between Mingus on bowed bass and George Adams on alto flute was just something added after the session. 

Mingus was listening very very much to that record years later when he was paralized and praised George Adams for it, when Adams visited the ailing Mingus. Such a tragedy. 

Anyway, George Adams had left the band after that date and was replaced by Ricky Ford who is the saxophonist I saw in Mingus´ Band. Ricky Ford was very very good and could play everything from an old Hawk/Webster  influenced swing tenor to avantgarde. But the records that were made with the core band + guests were quite overproduced and you rarley hear him. There is much more space for the guest players ("Three or Four Shades of the Blues" "Cumbia and Jazz Fusion", "Me myself and I" )........

Let me say that I might write much about Mingus, but he was my main source or guide to all that music, his death was a terrible blow for me and one of the rare occasions that made me cry.....

It's definitely sad what happened to Mingus. ALS is awful. 

Still going through some of his albums here: 

Ny01OTM5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Interesting cover alternative on this Australian release of Mingusx5. 

And then the expanded Carnegie Hall set: 

Ni01MTI3LmpwZWc.jpeg

On the original release, it was only Perdido & C Jam Blues which is unfortunate because the other songs are incredibly strong - well, Pullen's Big Alice is just ok. But the version here of Fables is awesome. 

29 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Ni04ODg1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Bobby Hutcherson - Mosaic Select 26
Disc 1 - Originally released as Cirrus and Inner Glow 

Cirrus is such a beautiful, soulful album.  It's like a warm embrace; it never gets old.

I’m a big fan of that Hutcherson Select in general—seems as if I pull a track from it for airplay a couple of times every year.

Right now, a CD I found used at my local record store recently:

412YCWPVK2L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Next up:

MS04ODk0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Bobby Vince Paunetto - Commit to Memory (Pathfinder/RSVP, 1977)

47 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I’m a big fan of that Hutcherson Select in general—seems as if I pull a track from it for airplay a couple of times every year.

Right on.  :)