• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ooooh.  Those look interesting.

I'd love to hear your impressions, T.D. -- either now or after you've had some time to absorb them.

This one is really good. It's more post-bop style, not really free. But the playing is outstanding.

OC0yNTEyLmpwZWc.jpeg

I need more time to evaluate this one. It's a bassless trio, as opposed to Silver World (or Ginkai), the quartet with Gary Peacock, which I very much enjoy. I will need some more listens to get used to the absence of bass.

Ni0xNDI3LmpwZWc.jpeg

In the meantime, I can recommend this one from the batch. First I've heard of Kako. Takagi's playing is freer and noisier than his previous recordings I'd heard (the 4-CD solo Nadja box).

MTEtNTQ3Ni5wbmc.jpeg

The whole of Breath is on Youtube. I could only find Youtube clips of one tune from each of the other 2 albums, so rolled the dice on those. The Takagi/Kako disc IMO is better than the one tune on Youtube indicates (I prefer the other tracks).

Edited by T.D.

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

This one is really good. It's more post-bop style, not really free. But the playing is outstanding.

OC0yNTEyLmpwZWc.jpeg

I need more time to evaluate this one. It's a bassless trio, as opposed to Silver World (or Ginkai), the quartet with Gary Peacock, which I very much enjoy. I will need some more listens to get used to the absence of bass.

Ni0xNDI3LmpwZWc.jpeg

In the meantime, I can recommend this one from the batch. First I've heard of Kako. Takagi's playing is freer and noisier than his previous recordings I'd heard (the 4-CD solo Nadja box).

MTEtNTQ3Ni5wbmc.jpeg

The whole of Breath is on Youtube. I could only find Youtube clips of one tune from each of the other 2 albums, so rolled the dice on those. The Takagi/Kako disc IMO is better than the one tune on Youtube indicates (I prefer the other tracks).

I don't know 'So What' so I shall investigate immediately. I'm a fan of ' Breath' fwiw. Togashi and Yamamoto are a dream team for me

Edited by mjazzg

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I don't know 'So What' so I shall investigate immediately. I'm a fan of ' Breath' fwiw. Togashi and Yamamoto are a dream team for me

Yes, on a second listen Breath is very good indeed. Agreed on dream team, Togashi actually gets more space in the trio w/o bass player.