Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

Heard a snippet of this one on Real Jazz on the radio and decided to give it a listen. What a great album this is!

71aSnR4uTNL._AC_UY218_.jpg

With 2800 posts, and a member for 17 years, this is truly your first experience of Blue Train? I guess there is a time for everything.  I didn't know it was possible to be a listener for at least 17 years and not have heard this album.

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I don't know them. But he's good on Hill on the 2020 records. Two more Braxton sets to add to the list...

CIMPs / Cadence releases are on Apple Music. 

2 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

With 2800 posts, and a member for 17 years, this is truly your first experience of Blue Train? I guess there is a time for everything.  I didn't know it was possible to be a listener for at least 17 years and not have heard this album.

No Dan, I've owned Blue Train first in vinyl, then in its first cd, then in the "enhanced" cd. The radio snippet just reminded me I hadn't listened to it in a while! Sorry if I gave you that *very* mistaken impression!

11 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

No Dan, I've owned Blue Train first in vinyl, then in its first cd, then in the "enhanced" cd. The radio snippet just reminded me I hadn't listened to it in a while! Sorry if I gave you that *very* mistaken impression!

I figured it had to be mistaken but I don't think its the most outlandish interpretation of how you described the decision to listen today. :)

Just now, Dan Gould said:

I figured it had to be mistaken but I don't think its the most outlandish interpretation of how you described the decision to listen today. :)

Rereading it I can see how you'd see it that way!  All that said, though, damn, what an album!

8 hours ago, gmonahan said:

Heard a snippet of this one on Real Jazz on the radio and decided to give it a listen. What a great album this is!

71aSnR4uTNL._AC_UY218_.jpg

You didn´t know it  before ? ? 

This was one of the first jazz albums I heard. First a Miles Davis album with Trane and Philly on it, and than this one, I played it over and over again. I can´t say the same about Trane´s Prestige albums, since they mostly have Art Taylor on drums and I like Philly more. 

3 hours ago, BillF said:

👍

Now playing:

OS02NTMzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Les Spann !

I was watching film clips last night of him on the Quincy Jones DVD. A somewhat undersung and unique musician. Quincy astutely filled his band with quite a few players for whom similar could be said - Julius Watkins, Budd Johnson, Melba Liston, Joe Harris. 

Rudy Royston “303” cd

7e13f1411082c36ff5b549f42a3ecf66da4b2bce

RudyRoyston12171612S.jpg

Bass – Mimi Jones, Yasushi Nakamura (2)
Drums, Percussion, Producer– Rudy Royston
Guitar – Nir Felder
Piano – Sam Harris
Saxophone – Jon Irabagon
Trumpet – Nadja Noordhuis

Nice music and sound.

Edited by jazzbo