• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

514HAHGTVYL._SY500_.jpg

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique (Blue Note)
Hutcherson's two quartet records with Herbie -- this one and Happenings -- are among his very best, IMO.

My King LP of that one needs a spin. Tremendous stuff - as is ‘Happenings’.

My CD of the ‘Oblique’ has the unfortunate mis-print..

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, duaneiac said:

In all my years of record store bin browsing, I don't think I've ever even seen that album cover before.  Has it been reissued on CD?  What did you think of the music?

I don't think it's ever been reissued.  Not sure why -- because the music is very good. IIRC, it was Tjader's first LP after returning to Fantasy from Verve and then Skye Records.  . . . It's definitely got a 1970's vibe to it.  Lots of electric piano from Al Zulaica.  I'd say if you like Tjader's music from around this time -- things like Agua Dulce and Live at the Funky Quarters -- then you'll almost certainly like Tjader. 

Here's one of the best cuts from the LP, a piece called "Mambero" composed by Tjader. VERY groovy. 

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

My CD of the ‘Oblique’ has the unfortunate mis-print..

Oh yes. I remember that. . . . Not good. :unsure:

Edited by HutchFan

25 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

21+hU4FNVaL.jpg

That one goes to my desert island. ;) 

The "falling tree" line from the refrain of "You Upset Me Baby" always slays me:

You upset me baby
Yes you upset me baby
Like being hit by a falling tree
Woman, woman what you do to me

I'm now listening to Wayne's Odyssey of Iska again:

MI0003626420.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

23 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Traditionally play this and "Basra" back to back as these are sort of companion albums ....

Two gems, no doubt. :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

Thanks for the info about that Tjader LP, HutchFan.  That "Mambero" cut was way cool.  It just amazes me that I've never even seen that LP, especially here in the SF bay area where Tjader lived and gigged frequently and had a big fan base.

Previously listened to:

51C2VwZFsuL._SY355_.jpg

I don't know how I stumbled across this disc.  I'd never heard of Ingfried Hoffmann before (and honestly, I assumed that was a woman's name), but the liner notes state he "won several polls as Germany's best organist and pianist" as a member of Klaus Doldinger's quartet.  The 10 James Bond inspired tracks from his 1966 From Twen With Love album are joined by 4 similarly themed bonus tracks.  Rene Thomas is the only sideman I'd haerd of before and he has a nice solo on "TV-Swing".

Now celebrating Happy Hawkday with Disc 1 of 2 from

4147DE1BZCL.jpg

This disc has a couple of 1958 sessions pairing Hawk with Red Allen and the likes of Earle Warren, Marty Napoleon, J.C. Higginbotham, Cozy Cole, Milt Hinton, Chubby Jackson and others.

Edited by duaneiac