Harvey Weinstein story in New Yorker...truly shocking

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, medjuck said:

Jeff Bezos.  And Weinstein never was. He just got a lot of publicity. 

I'd hate to think what the others could get away with then :ph34r:

Harvey wasn't just about sex...from Wiki, so you just know it's all true....

Managerial style and controversies

While lauded for opening up the independent film market and making it financially viable, Weinstein has been criticized by some for the techniques he has allegedly applied in his business dealings. Peter Biskind's book, Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance and the Rise of Independent Film,[8] details criticism of Miramax's release history and editing of Asian films, such as Shaolin Soccer, Hero and Princess Mononoke. There is a rumor that when Harvey Weinstein was charged with handling the U.S. release of Princess Mononoke, director Hayao Miyazaki sent him a samurai sword in the mail. Attached to the blade was a stark message: "No cuts". Miyazaki commented on the incident: "Actually, my producer did that. Although I did go to New York to meet this man, this Harvey Weinstein, and I was bombarded with this aggressive attack, all these demands for cuts. I defeated him."[19] Weinstein has always insisted that such editing was done in the interest of creating the most financially viable film. "I'm not cutting for fun", Harvey Weinstein said in an interview. "I'm cutting for the shit to work. All my life I served one master: the film. I love movies."[12][20]

Another example cited by Biskind was Phillip Noyce's The Quiet American, whose release Weinstein delayed following the September 11 attacks, due to audience reaction in test screenings to the film's critical tone towards America's past foreign policy. After being told the film would go straight-to-video, Noyce planned to screen the film in Toronto International Film Festival in order to mobilize critics to pressure Miramax to release it theatrically. Weinstein decided to screen the film at the Festival only after he was lobbied by star Michael Caine, who threatened to boycott publicity for another film he had made for Miramax. The film received mostly positive reviews at the Festival, and Miramax eventually released the film theatrically, but it was alleged that Miramax did not make a major effort to promote the film for Academy Award consideration, though Caine was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor.[8]

Weinstein has also cultivated a reputation for ruthlessness and fits of anger. According to Biskind, Weinstein once put a New York Observer reporter in a headlock while throwing him out of a party. On another occasion, Weinstein excoriated director Julie Taymor and her husband during a disagreement over a test screening of her movie Frida.[12]

In a 2004 newspaper article, in New York magazine, Weinstein appeared somewhat repentant for his often aggressive discussions with directors and producers.[21] However, a Newsweek story on October 13, 2008, criticized Weinstein, who was accused of "hassling Sydney Pollack on his deathbed" about the release of the film The Reader. After Weinstein offered $1 million to charity if the accusation could be proven, journalist Nikki Finke published an email sent by Scott Rudin on August 22 asserting that Weinstein "harassed" Anthony Minghella's widow and a bedridden Pollack until Pollack's family asked him to stop.[22][23]

In September 2009, Weinstein publicly voiced opposition to efforts to extradite Roman Polanski from Switzerland to the U.S. regarding a 1977 charge that he had drugged and raped a 13-year-old, to which Polanski had pleaded guilty before fleeing the country.[24] Weinstein, whose company had distributed a film about the Polanski case, questioned whether Polanski committed any crime,[25] prompting Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley to insist that Polanski's guilty plea indicated that his action was a crime, and that several other serious charges were pending.[26]

6 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

This is an odd way to characterize sexual assault and rape :(

Let's be clear here. I don't endorse rape or sexual assault, and never have.

However, after being in actors and musicians circles in the 1990s and early 2000s, and having friends who are both,  I have a sober vision of what many of these people would do to get a role, men and women alike. And I am honestly surprised that this is a surprise for you. 

Jim put it a good way. People who matter in this business, play the odds. If you are not belieiving me, all you got to do is go to any trendy restaurant or club in LA and see for yourself. Lots of old men with young women, and old men with young men.

As this drags on, you will see dozens of these 'aspiring actresses', who bed Harvey, along with whoever they had to bed to get to Harvey, and who are now feeling victimized, and want us to see how victimized they feel. 

5 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Hey, man. They had it coming! 

At least, that seems to be Dimitry's take on this. 

I don't think that is what he is saying at all.

This shit happens and has happened for years, especially in the movie business. It's part of jokes, hell, it's even referenced or portrayed in a lot of movies both comically and seriously. Now, that doesn't make it right or excuse it and I don't believe anyone is saying that.

When we see a big star such as Gwenyth Paltrow come out and tell her story, isn't the natural reaction after 20+ years to ask, why did you wait so long? I get all the points about career, insecurities, money, and being afraid to speak up. But why applaud her now? It sure seems many women got it much worse after her and never achieved the success she has. She kept on doing the movies for him and shut the fuck up about all of it.

How come nobody knew what was going on and why did it take so long to come out?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that is what Dmitry is saying.

As for the politics side of it. Maybe the guy never was "the king of hollywood" but he was part of it and an important to some and most definitely a popular and major fundraiser for many. Dude was pals with the Clinton's and according to Michelle Obama, " a wonderful human being, a good friend and just a powerhouse".  I'm not implying she knew all of this was going on, but c'mon should we believe they were totally oblivious to the rumors and suspicions?

For me, I say Fuck Weinstein. He deserves to eat every piece of shit put in front of him and then some.

And Fuck Matt Damon, Brad Pitt, Ben Affleck and all the others that in one way or another did nothing.

My bet though is, no matter how bad this all gets, this is not the last we see of his involvement in movies or TV.

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

I'd be surprised. 

Look at how that worked out for Bill Cosby. 

True, but Cosby is 80, and blind. And hasn't had a successful show in a few decades now.

Look at Woody Allen. As creepy as him marrying his Step-Daughter was, I've seen them together in whatever that documentary was that I guess he shot with his parents , Soon-Yi and others...they actually seem like there is a real connection between them...still creepy, but not illegal. But the stories of child abuse (which were never proven, but Dylan and Ronan Farrow believe did happen) sure hasn't kept anyone from working with Woody Allen, have they?

Roman Polanski vaginally, and anally raped a 13 year old, didn't go to jail and still had a career afterwards...

Harvey will probably be based in Europe from now on, as some of his "alleged" crimes no doubt have happened before the statute of limitations will have run out.

Some up and coming directors and actors will work with him, knowing that he can't do to them, what he did to others ...in theory

7 hours ago, medjuck said:

I'll take that bet. 

Not to add to the conspiracy theories but.... When all this came out The Weinstein Company was already in deep shit financially and Harvey certainly didn't wield the power he did a decade ago.  When Mike Ovitz  really was "the most powerful man in Hollywood" only Joe Eszterhas ever took him on in public. Once he fell from power everybody started started piling on.     

I'm not saying Weinstein is going to do anything.  I don't believe Weinstein is he exception in an industry notorious for sexual exploitation, and, consciously or not, others in power in the industry will react in a negative way.  Sort of "yeah, it was terrible what she went through, but she didn't have to run her mouth" type reaction.

The only real news here is that Woody Allen is doing a TV show with Miley Cyrus. And Elaine May?

For real?

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/05/woody-allen-soon-yi

Allen says he draws the most enjoyment in life out of his work, which, according to him, involves “charming men” and “beautiful women.” Allen has become known for his fascination with certain young film stars, going from a Scarlett Johansson phase (Match Point, Scoop, Vicky Cristina Barcelona) to an Emma Stone phase (Magic in the Moonlight, Irrational Man) to, potentially, a Kristen Stewart Phase (Café Society). But Allen took a break from film to work on television, and his muse for the small screen, Miley Cyrus, is a surprising one. Allen credits his kids:

I noticed years ago that my kids would be watching Hannah Montana. And I would say: “Who is that girl? She's got such a good delivery. You know, she snaps those lines off so well. The show is a silly little show, but she's very good at what she does.” And then she emerged as a singer, and someone showed me a little clip of hers from Saturday Night Live, and I said, “It confirms what I always thought about her: She is very good, she is really a talented girl.” She wanted to take some time off, but she [agreed to do the series] because the role interested her.

Though details about the series are still under wraps, the film is set in the 60s, co-stars Woody Allen and Elaine May, and, from the looks of it, John Magaro (The Big Short) will also appear as Cyrus’s love interest and the latest on-screen Woody Allen proxy.

2 hours ago, BERIGAN said:

Managerial style and controversies

While lauded for opening up the independent film market and making it financially viable, Weinstein has been criticized by some for the techniques he has allegedly applied in his business dealings. Peter Biskind's book, Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance and the Rise of Independent Film,[8] details criticism of Miramax's release history and editing of Asian films, such as Shaolin Soccer, Hero and Princess Mononoke. There is a rumor that when Harvey Weinstein was charged with handling the U.S. release of Princess Mononoke, director Hayao Miyazaki sent him a samurai sword in the mail. Attached to the blade was a stark message: "No cuts". Miyazaki commented on the incident: "Actually, my producer did that. Although I did go to New York to meet this man, this Harvey Weinstein, and I was bombarded with this aggressive attack, all these demands for cuts. I defeated him."[19] Weinstein has always insisted that such editing was done in the interest of creating the most financially viable film. "I'm not cutting for fun", Harvey Weinstein said in an interview. "I'm cutting for the shit to work. All my life I served one master: the film. I love movies."[12][20]

Oh, so he's the guy who did The Beatles Capitol  LPs then, right? :g

5 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Let's be clear here. I don't endorse rape or sexual assault, and never have.

However, after being in actors and musicians circles in the 1990s and early 2000s, and having friends who are both,  I have a sober vision of what many of these people would do to get a role, men and women alike. And I am honestly surprised that this is a surprise for you. 

Jim put it a good way. People who matter in this business, play the odds. If you are not belieiving me, all you got to do is go to any trendy restaurant or club in LA and see for yourself. Lots of old men with young women, and old men with young men.

As this drags on, you will see dozens of these 'aspiring actresses', who bed Harvey, along with whoever they had to bed to get to Harvey, and who are now feeling victimized, and want us to see how victimized they feel. 

Ok, this is not adequate, at least as stated. It's neither right nor accurate to conflate hustling with forced, involuntary sex. Nor is it accurate or right to think that the hunter getting captured by the game is always just one more part of the game.

I'm not "shocked" by anything, really, but not knowing where the lines are, no matter how vague they might appear to civilians and other people who like to look, that's correctable.

You play the odds if you're a player. If you just take what you want no matter what, you're a common, petty thief. Nobody likes common/petty, nor should they. People get shot for that shit, and nobody really cares.

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, this is not adequate, at least as stated. It's neither right nor accurate to conflate hustling with forced, involuntary sex. Nor is it accurate or right to think that the hunter getting captured by the game is always just one more part of the game.

I'm not "shocked" by anything, really, but not knowing where the lines are, no matter how vague they might appear to civilians and other people who like to look, that's correctable.

You play the odds if you're a player. If you just take what you want no matter what, you're a common, petty thief. Nobody likes common/petty, nor should they. People get shot for that shit, and nobody really cares.

As far as I know, he has never been formally accused of anything, considering he's been at it for 30+ years. Even slick Willy had it worse. And Harv never went to Yale Law! 

This thread has not really become "political", but the incident generating it surely is being used for ongoing political purposes: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/12/harvey-weinstein-breitbart-rose-mcgowan-twitter-243712

I never feel too uncomfortable about calling a piece of shit a piece of shit. I do, however, cast a wary eye at people agitating on me to do that. Like it proves anything that a (fill in the blank with the socio-political designation of your choice) is a piece of shit. Same game, different team, pieces of shit all.

5 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Joe Medjuck might know the answer to this:  Why have the newspapers of America kept silent about these casting couch-ers for decades?  

Fifty years ago, newspapers were chock full of movie ads.  But it's been many years since I've seen one.  So why do the newspapers ignore the obvious?

Dog bites man story? 

It's pretty scummy to say to an actress , hey, sleep with me, and you will get a role....it's quite another to just flat out rape them.... 5th woman to say she was raped by Weinstein, (this time a pretty big name, at least she was, Lysette Anthony )how many women did this asshole rape that haven't come forward????

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-4981326/British-actress-fifth-women-accuse-Weinstein-rape.html

ICYMI,

people outside of Harvey Weinstein are pure scum...including....Barbara WaWa, WTF????

Barbara Walters wasn't sympathetic when Corey Feldman admitted abuse by Hollywood pedophiles 

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/corey-feldman-talked-hollywood-abuse-barbara-walters-2013-article-1.3568826

Reese Witherspoon reveals she was sexually assaulted by a director at 16

http://ew.com/movies/2017/10/17/reese-witherspoon-reveals-she-was-sexually-assaulted-by-a-director-at-16/

Jennifer Lawrence: Male producer said she was 'perfectly f---able' after being told to lose weight

http://ew.com/movies/2017/10/17/jennifer-lawrence-male-producer-said-she-was-perfectly-f-able-after-being-told-to-lose-weight/

On 12-10-2017 at 8:57 PM, catesta said:

When we see a big star such as Gwenyth Paltrow come out and tell her story, isn't the natural reaction after 20+ years to ask, why did you wait so long? I get all the points about career, insecurities, money, and being afraid to speak up. But why applaud her now? It sure seems many women got it much worse after her and never achieved the success she has. She kept on doing the movies for him and shut the fuck up about all of it.

How come nobody knew what was going on and why did it take so long to come out?

Well.. believe it or not, it is not an easy subject to talk about. It may take many years to tell anyone about what happened, even a loved one. It is easy to say "I would speak up straight away" or "I would never go along with anything like that'', but can you really state that when you've never been in a similar situation? It happens in every line of work to a certain extend and not just to women. It has to do with abuse of power, being in a position dependant on someone else. I think the most important thing is creating an atmosphere where people feel like they cán speak up and object instead of wondering how come it took some a long time before they did. That shouldn't be an issue in my opinion.

Edited by page

The countless stories of women with experiences of sexual harassment and violence that are shared led to a massive response to reactions in the (social) media. And that is only a  start....
It's NOT only Harvey Weinstein, it's the same all over the world. I hope women keep talking......