CD Baby finds

scottb

I've been listening to a lot of sound samples on CDBABY.COM lately looking for some good greaze. There is so much on that site I thought I would start a thread where we can share our cdbaby discoveries.

My first suggestion is Surf's Up by Mo' Fone. This trio consists of two saxes (who alternate playing the bass parts on bari) and a drummer. Interesting stuff, give it a listen.

I'd recommend "Jan Johansson - Den Korta Fristen". Johansson was a major Swedish pianist in the 60s who was killed in a car crash in 1968. This disc is a large ensemble disc - quite challenging, suggesting some associations with contemporary classical music.

johansson2.jpg

I got interested in Johansson as a result of a trip to Sweden last year and CD Baby was the place I found the disc.

He produced an album called Folkvisor which is apparently the best selling Swedish jazz record of all time. CD Baby sell it (with a second LP, two on one), though every time I try to order they are waiting for a new supply.

I'd imagine Johansson was one of the ancestors of the current wave of Swedish jazz pianists.

johansson1.jpg

Jim,

Adam Scone is in the house ... and you are dead-on ... the vibe is perfect. Wouldn't call it mellow per se, but it is definitely not a screamer. Just mature feel-good music which is interesting and certainly not dumbed down.

Eric

I've been frequenting CD Baby recently. It's a great music site. Some of my favorite purchases have been:

• Treehouse Project - The Picture Show 3-CD set. Each track on the second disc was inspired by a picture. Very interesting concept album.
  • Brian Patneaude - Variations Jazz quartet with some great solos by the sax & guitar players.
  • Ivan Rosenberg - The Lost Coast Bluegrass, mostly instrumentals. Bought this one after hearing the track Wildwood Ramble.

• 3 weeks later...

Digging a little deeper into the Adam Scone vibe ... I noticed that both he and the alto guy on Scone's CD (Ian Hendrickson-Smith, who also has a CD on Sharp Nine) have a band called the Macktet. So ... after listening to a few samples on their site, I snagged this as well (the "Liftoff" CD, they have a few).

This is a very cool CD, with a little more grease and grit than the Scone CD. I could not find this at CD Baby (which of course is the point of this thread :P ), but I was able to get it from the K-Pasta website (the Macktet's label). Definitely worth checking out.

Eric

I'd recommend "Jan Johansson - Den Korta Fristen". Johansson was a major Swedish pianist in the 60s who was killed in a car crash in 1968. This disc is a large ensemble disc - quite challenging, suggesting some associations with contemporary classical music.

johansson2.jpg

I got interested in Johansson as a result of a trip to Sweden last year and CD Baby was the place I found the disc.

He produced an album called Folkvisor which is apparently the best selling Swedish jazz record of all time. CD Baby sell it (with a second LP, two on one), though every time I try to order they are waiting for a new supply.

I'd imagine Johansson was one of the ancestors of the current wave of Swedish jazz pianists.

johansson1.jpg

CD Baby has been a favorite hunting ground of mine for several years now. Not everything "hits" but there is some wonderful stuff not found elsewere. The late Jan Johansson was a terrific, and eclectic pianist who would be much more internationally known if he had lived. He was moving in a very different direction at the time of his death, and would have made a significant contribution to modern music, as indicated by the records he made late in life. However, my particular favorite of his is an early series of trio albums that are a pure delight to listen to ... http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/johansson4

Edited by garthsj

Digging a little deeper into the Adam Scone vibe ... I noticed that both he and the alto guy on Scone's CD (Ian Hendrickson-Smith, who also has a CD on Sharp Nine) have a band called the Macktet. So ... after listening to a few samples on their site, I snagged this as well (the "Liftoff" CD, they have a few).

This is a very cool CD, with a little more grease and grit than the Scone CD. I could not find this at CD Baby (which of course is the point of this thread :P ), but I was able to get it from the K-Pasta website (the Macktet's label). Definitely worth checking out.

Eric

COOL! I like that alto player A LOT on Scone's record. I'll have to remember this one... when I get a little money.

Two recent purchases that I highly recommend:

Geof Bradfield/Noel Kupersmith/Ted Sirota - Rule of Three - Very impressive saxophone trio outing featuring three promising musicians on the Chicago scene.

Mark Taylor - Circle Squared - Features Taylor (frhn), Myra Melford (p), Brad Jones (bass) and Matt Wilson (d). Very good compositions, solid grooves established by Jones and Wilson and inventive solos throughout by Taylor and Melford.

Edited by relyles

I can certainly recommend Ahmad Jamal and the Assai Quartet which I bought from CD Baby a few weeks ago - especially as since then it has been included in the $5 sale. As well as the string quartet pieces the CD includes a suite of solo piano improvisations recorded in Ahmad Jamal's living room.

jamal.jpg

Ivan Rosenberg - The Lost Coast Bluegrass, mostly instrumentals.  Bought this one after hearing the track Wildwood Ramble.

:tup Excellent one!

I have to add The Diamondbacks' Surf Guitar Instrumentals to the list of goodies found...

Edited by Jazzmoose

Just Like That

Alright, this falls under the "shameless self-promotion" dept, but my band has a CD for sale on it. So if you're shuffling through what they have to offer, and you're wondering what to check out next, the band's name is Station Wag. It's a rock CD, no greaze, but I'm curious to hear impressions.

Edited by Jad

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...