The Lost Tapes: Charles Mingus Live In Detroit

bluesoul

I love Changes One. Changes Two seems to me like they had one cut left over that couldn't fit onto One to complete the "suite", so they did some other stuff and turned it into Two.

The only official document of Bluiett in the band was the Carnegie Hall jam session. I love the guy, but with Mingus, as a soloist...maybe his talent was better utilized elsewhere.

Walrath had just joined for the Changes sessions, so he got no real solo exposure. The strong cuts on those albums are all about Pullen & Adams, and for my taste, they're splendid.

But no, 50s/60s (even 40s) Mingus is not like 70s Mingus. It couldn't be (although Rahsaan on the Carnegie jam does go there). And Atlantic did a lot of "project" albums with Mingus rather than working bands (Cumbia Jazz Fusion is a good record, but it's still a "project"). But Changes One, that's a sweet record right there, and a working band. Great writing, great playing. No hollering at the band, but they play like they had been hollered at.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I love Changes One. Changes Two seems to me like they had one cut left over that couldn't fit onto One to complete the "suite", so they did some other stuff and turned it into Two.

The only official document of Bluiett in the band was the Carnegie Hall jam session. I love the guy, but with Mingus, as a soloist...maybe his talent was better utilized elsewhere.

Walrath had just joined for the Changes sessions, so he got no real solo exposure. The strong cuts on those albums are all about Pullen & Adams, and for my taste, they're splendid.

But no, 50s/60s (even 40s) Mingus is not like 70s Mingus. It couldn't be (although Rahsaan on the Carnegie jam does go there). And Atlantic did a lot of "project" albums with Mingus rather than working bands (Cumbia Jazz Fusion is a good record, but it's still a "project"). But Changes One, that's a sweet record right there, and a working band. Great writing, great playing. No hollering at the band, but they play like they had been hollered at.

I  think Changes Two is better.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:31 AM, Brad said:

Fwiw, I just received this response:

“Lee is going to look at this closely Brad 
needs to refresh his memory as there were many changes made to the final product since the tapes were first located near 2 years ago”

The email was in response to my thought that there would have been space on the last disc to fit the song. 

Do you get the feeling they might repress this (at least the last CD) to add the missing piece, or shall I go ahead and open mine?

36 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Do you get the feeling they might repress this (at least the last CD) to add the missing piece, or shall I go ahead and open mine?

I doubt they would do that, although that’s not based on any facts, just a feeling. If it were me, I’d open it.