Blue Note's TONE POET series.

Dmitry

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, mjzee said:

71K5Mt-rPCL._SL1200_.jpg81bLzaw1S0L._SL1500_.jpg

I'm intrigued by this upcoming Tone Poet release (on January 29) because the cover doesn't say stereo.  Could this be mono?  On the other hand, the back cover clearly says BST-81569.  But I can dream.

The cover says 81569. If it was mono, there would be no 8. BLP-1569 would be the mono catalog number.

That is one Tone Poet I will not be buying. Not a fan of Chambers' solos on that.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Very tempting!!!  ;) 

You as our one and only Hutchfan should buy it without hesitation :P

have to say I bought my TP also because I did not own the music yet. They say ‘Passing Ships’ by Andrew Hill will be among the 2021 releases but I dont think I am going to get it because I already have the Conaisseur edition. And for a replacement of something I already have they really are too expensive. Plus there’s so much music out there that I want to explore.

Edited by Pim

10 minutes ago, Pim said:

You as our one and only Hutchfan should buy it without hesitation :P

have to say I bought my TP also because I did not own the music yet. They say ‘Passing Ships’ by Andrew Hill will be among the 2021 releases but I dont think I am going to get it because I already have the Conaisseur edition. And for a replacement of something I already have they really are too expensive. Plus there’s so much music out there that I want to explore.

Yes, I agree.  It's hard (for me!) to justify buying Oblique a second time when there are so many other new things out there to discover.  ... OTOH, I think it's one of Hutcherson's best records.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.  :D

13 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yes, I agree.  It's hard (for me!) to justify buying Oblique a second time when there are so many other new things out there to discover.  ... OTOH, I think it's one of Hutcherson's best records.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.  :D

Today was my first spin and it’s very, very good indeed. I like it even better than ‘Happenings’ which is also great. Great interplay between Hutcherson and Hancock, and I was also amazed by the excellent bass playing by Albert Stinson. Did not know him very well.

38 minutes ago, bresna said:

The cover says 81569. If it was mono, there would be no 8. BLP-1569 would be the mono catalog number.

That's right; thanks for the reminder.  Although I wonder whether it was ever issued in stereo with "Blue Note 81569" on top (and no Blue Note "Finest in Jazz since 1939" logo).

R-2575964-1558404168-5152.jpeg.jpg

7 minutes ago, Pim said:

Today was my first spin and it’s very, very good indeed. I like it even better than ‘Happenings’ which is also great. Great interplay between Hutcherson and Hancock, and I was also amazed by the excellent bass playing by Albert Stinson. Did not know him very well.

Albert Stinson is (unfortunately was) outstanding ....

Just spinning ‘Oblique’ and for the first time I hear a bit of wow on Herbie’s piano solo on ‘Till Then’. Hadn’t noticed that before. Otherwise, it sounds stunning.

Must run a comparison check against the King GXK.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

... OTOH, I think it's one of Hutcherson's best records.

It most definitely is - thought that from the first time I heard it.

28 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

It most definitely is - thought that from the first time I heard it.

Yep.  Isn't it odd that Oblique was shelved for so long?

Recorded in '67 and first released in '79 -- in Japan only.  It wasn't released in the U.S. until 1990.

That's nuts!

23 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Yep.  Isn't it odd that Oblique was shelved for so long?

Recorded in '67 and first released in '79 -- in Japan only.  It wasn't released in the U.S. until 1990.

That's nuts!

Even those other records he did in the 70s on BN: Waiting Game, Knucklebean, The View From the Inside - none of them got a second domestic pressing until that Mosaic Select...and that didn't come until '07.  

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

That's right; thanks for the reminder.  Although I wonder whether it was ever issued in stereo with "Blue Note 81569" on top (and no Blue Note "Finest in Jazz since 1939" logo).

R-2575964-1558404168-5152.jpeg.jpg

The first time it was release in Stereo was in 1966, after the label was sold to Liberty Records. Some of RVG's early experiments with recording to two track tape don't sound as good as the 1960 and after, largely due to microphone placement. If this is indeed a MONO release, I am tempted.

6 hours ago, Dmitry said:

The first time it was release in Stereo was in 1966, after the label was sold to Liberty Records. Some of RVG's early experiments with recording to two track tape don't sound as good as the 1960 and after, largely due to microphone placement. If this is indeed a MONO release, I am tempted.

Rudy didn't run a mono machine once he moved to Englewood Cliffs - all monos after July 1, 1959 are "fold downs" from the stereo master.

8 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Even those other records he did in the 70s on BN: Waiting Game, Knucklebean, The View From the Inside - none of them got a second domestic pressing until that Mosaic Select...and that didn't come until '07.  

Yup, still looking for that Mosaic for a reasonable price...

Someone posted in Hoffman that, based on Instagram postings, the following would be the TPs for this year.

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
Login • Instagram 

Andrew Hill - Passing Ships
Login • Instagram 

Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton - Katanga (Pacific Jazz)
Login • Instagram 

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Witch Doctor
Login • Instagram 

Wayne Shorter - All Seeing Eye
Login • Instagram 

McCoy Tyner - Expansions
Login • Instagram 

Lee Konitz Meets Gerry Mulligan
Login • Instagram 

Stanley Turrentine - Rough n’ Tumble
Login • Instagram 

Sonny Red - Out Of The Blue
Login • Instagram

19 minutes ago, Pim said:

Dexter Gordon’s ‘One Flight Up’ and Andrew Hill’s Passing Ships are up for February. The Hill a double LP.

According to Michael Cuscuna, Andrew Hill's "Passing Ships", an early example of an RVG multi-track recording, was re-mixed/remastered from these multi-track tapes in analog for this LP cut so it could sound quite a bit different from the CD.

8 hours ago, Brad said:

Someone posted in Hoffman that, based on Instagram postings, the following would be the TPs for this year.

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
Login • Instagram 

Andrew Hill - Passing Ships
Login • Instagram 

Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton - Katanga (Pacific Jazz)
Login • Instagram 

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Witch Doctor
Login • Instagram 

Wayne Shorter - All Seeing Eye
Login • Instagram 

McCoy Tyner - Expansions
Login • Instagram 

Lee Konitz Meets Gerry Mulligan
Login • Instagram 

Stanley Turrentine - Rough n’ Tumble
Login • Instagram 

Sonny Red - Out Of The Blue
Login • Instagram

Those are some great titles. 

9 hours ago, Pim said:

Yup, still looking for that Mosaic for a reasonable price...

I broke down and got the download via iTunes (Capitol Classics series or something like that, the one that basically puts out the Mosaic sets). Waiting is by far my favorite but the whole thing is full of great stuff. 

3 hours ago, bresna said:

According to Michael Cuscuna, Andrew Hill's "Passing Ships", an early example of an RVG multi-track recording, was re-mixed/remastered from these multi-track tapes in analog for this LP cut so it could sound quite a bit different from the CD.

That title will be an immediate buy on vinyl for me (have the Conn CD). As for the rest on the 2021 list, have either originals or very good LP reissues so will ‘pass’. Wish they would do ‘Demons Dance’ !

Edited by sidewinder