Noirish, Pulpish Standards and Substandards

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

"The Nervous Set," a short-lived Broadway show about the Beat Generation. I think there was a cast album. (I never heard it.)

Yes!

I was disappointed by the cast album of "The Nervous Set". Even though it had Kenny Burrell in the band, the rest of Tommy Wolf and Fran Landesman's songs were nowhere near SCRHYUTM and ATSYM.

"Golden Boy", the musical by Charles Strouse had some other noir-ish type tunes like "While The City Sleeps" which takes place during a game of poker with a bunch of guys with nicknames like 'Judge', and their night time activities.

"Rules of the Road" was a song that had those desperate noir-type lyrics that only transients could relate to.

3 minutes ago, sgcim said:

I was disappointed by the cast album of "The Nervous Set". Even though it had Kenny Burrell in the band, the rest of Tommy Wolf and Fran Landesman's songs were nowhere near SCRHYUTM and ATSYM.

"Golden Boy", the musical by Charles Strouse had some other noir-ish type tunes like "While The City Sleeps" which takes place during a game of poker 

"Rules of the Road" was a song that had those desperate noir-type lyrics that only transients could relate to.

Thanks. These are the kinds of tunes I'm really trying to uncover, B-list songs like "Lonelyville" and "Detour Ahead" that you can imagine being sung by a husky-voiced, down-on-her-luck female singer in a dive bar. I don't think I know "Rules of the Road," but that title is promising.

A sub-category that kind of fits with this aesthetic is gambling songs like "I'm Shooting High" and "Who's Got the Action."

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

Here's an instrumental that DR wrote captures the mood of city noir very well. No lyrics, though:

Directed by the always underrated Joseph H Lewis but I notice that the writer Phillip Yordan gets a "by" credit.  Music seems a little on the nose for this thread. 

20 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, that's a good one. I used to do a lot of gigs with this weird chick singer that specialized in songs like that. She did "When the Sun Comes Out", in addition to "I'm a Fool to Want You". She'd come out half-crocked with make-up that made her look like Norma Desmond, and hit on all the young musicians in the band. She'd wear dresses that emphasized her cleavage. On her card it said "Vocalist with Woody Herman, Stan Kenton and Tommy Dorsey", but she never recorded with them as far as I can tell. The only thing I found was a TV appearance with Frank Sinatra. She was actually a pretty hip singer, who did a lot of hip things with the time.:

• 2 months later...

'Laura' by David Raksin was the title-song to Otto Preminger's 1944 movie - a classic in the noir-genre. it quickly became a standard thereafter and there have been numerous great jazz-interpretations, but none (i feel) as gorgeous as Clifford Brown's version on his 'With Strings'-album.

For noir -aficionados who just cannot get enough (and aren't aware of the record) - Bob Belden's imaginary soundtrack 'Black Dahlia' captures the mood (cliche's and all) to a t.

Edited by Mark13