Brits planning to buy from JazzMessengers?

BillF

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I wonder:
Even secondhand (collectible, of sorts) one?

I don’t know if there’s an upper limit or any kind of limit based on age and rarity. Nothing I buy is much more than 100 years old but I’m guessing that if you tried to ship a Gutenberg bible you might get asked questions. 

Actually I am really talking about "collectible, of sorts" items. I.e. magazines, sales brochures and books from, say, anywhere between the 30s and 60s. Items that sometimes can be very collectible (and pricy too) in the right circles but don't usually look so to the uninitiated. I wonder how shipping and customs clearance of such items in both directions will be affected now.

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Actually I am really talking about "collectible, of sorts" items. I.e. magazines, sales brochures and books from, say, anywhere between the 30s and 60s. Items that sometimes can be very collectible (and pricy too) in the right circles but don't usually look so to the uninitiated. I wonder how shipping and customs clearance of such items in both directions will be affected now.

UK does not tax books but some other EU countries do, though at a lower rate. So I guess tax would be payable on books imported to e.g. Germany from the UK. 

20 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

UK does not tax books but some other EU countries do, though at a lower rate. So I guess tax would be payable on books imported to e.g. Germany from the UK. 

"UK does not tax books", yet...sure someone will spot that in our brave new world

12 hours ago, David Ayers said:

"Other" EU countries? Has the UK rejoined? ;)

Dutch VAT on books is currently 9%. 

Edited by J.A.W.

14 hours ago, David Ayers said:

Actually I am not so much worried about imports from the UK into Germany (in fact, though, I wasn't charged extra for the larger-size letter that contained a 2021 calendar that I received from a colleague in Britain the other day). Things have run their course for the most part (mainly due to the rise in shipping rates from the UK - that in fact happened well before Brexit)  although I'd still like to stock up on certain period UK magazines to complete my collection. But I was wondering about what to recommend my collector friend in the UK (the one I mentioned in another post on the post-Brexit "ordering from abroad" discussion). He has often bought collectable printed matter (magazines, sales folders, etc.) from abroad in the past and I wonder what to advise him if he considers using me as an intermediary for a transaction from Germany again.

16 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Couldn't the Gutenberg Bible be considered a sales brochure of sorts...

Lame joke ... :huh:

23 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Actually I am not so much worried about imports from the UK into Germany (in fact, though, I wasn't charged extra for the larger-size letter that contained a 2021 calendar that I received from a colleague in Britain the other day). Things have run their course for the most part (mainly due to the rise in shipping rates from the UK - that in fact happened well before Brexit)  although I'd still like to stock up on certain period UK magazines to complete my collection. But I was wondering about what to recommend my collector friend in the UK (the one I mentioned in another post on the post-Brexit "ordering from abroad" discussion). He has often bought collectable printed matter (magazines, sales folders, etc.) from abroad in the past and I wonder what to advise him if he considers using me as an intermediary for a transaction from Germany again.

Lame joke ... :huh:

Joke? Herr Gutenberg may well have been a pious man but he was also trying to illustrate how marvellous his printing press was.

16 minutes ago, Brad said:

Did you have to pay duty on top of what it would have been pre Brexit?

No, just list price and shipping

18 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

How was the VAT dealt with?

They deducted it from the list price at Checkout.  It was only one CD so maybe it flew in under several radars

Ok, i'm confused with the above.

I thought I'd understood that orders from the EU under £135 would have VAT charged at source i.e. at the Jazz Messengers checkout.  I assumed naively that this would prevent the need for the items being presented to UK customs thereby eliminating the handling fees that were the bain of imports from outside the EU. The Brexiteers weren't obviously jazz fans or photographers. The latter is frustrating for me as I buy my darkroom supplies from places in Dublin and Berlin. 

I'm also confused and it happened to me!  I suspect that duties were chargeable on entry but that the package slipped through.  There's always been that "will it, won't it" jeopardy to ordering from outside the EU and I suspect the same will now happen from within. 

36 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Ok, i'm confused with the above.

I thought I'd understood that orders from the EU under £135 would have VAT charged at source i.e. at the Jazz Messengers checkout.  I assumed naively that this would prevent the need for the items being presented to UK customs thereby eliminating the handling fees that were the bain of imports from outside the EU. The Brexiteers weren't obviously jazz fans or photographers. The latter is frustrating for me as I buy my darkroom supplies from places in Dublin and Berlin. 

22 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm also confused and it happened to me!  I suspect that duties were chargeable on entry but that the package slipped through.  There's always been that "will it, won't it" jeopardy to ordering from outside the EU and I suspect the same will now happen from within. 

I’m confused too. It looks to me like, when these regulations bed down, imported goods valued under £135 will need documentation to show that VAT has been paid, or will be sent back. FWIW my non-music order from France is still sitting on the other side of the pond. It took them ten days to send it to the shipper who has now had it for three days and not moved it. The website showed (and still shows) VAT paid, but the invoice shows it not paid. I suspect that a lot of players don’t yet know what they are supposed to be doing. 

I have not yet received a reply from Jorge at JM to my question about shipping post Brexit.

From what has been said in previous posts, it appears they are deducting Spanish VAT but then not accounting for UK VAT at point of sale, as is supposed to happen. I presume they haven't signed up for the whole post Brexit VAT registration fiasco.

So there is an advantage of no VAT, but if the package actually arrives in the UK there is a likelihood of VAT being added (which is fine) but then also the standard £8 Royal Mail fee for customs fees.

That's just my take on it. I might try a small order to JM to see what happens.