Do You Lend Out Your Mosaic Sets?

I've loaned out a couple, a time or two. Not very often, and only to certain people. I think in most cases, it was before I had the hardware to burn CD's. I think now, I'd probably just burn a copy for somebody.

However, I should add that one of the only people I've ever loaned a Mosaic to, was someone who loaned me a couple of their Mosaics one time too.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Hell no!!

I'd loan them my car, camera lenses, stereo amps and fishing gear, but never the Mosaics.

All my Mosaic LP sets are now on CD, so I just burn another from these masters. Just sent out 4 Hodges 51-55 sets to jazz newbie friends in return for scotch, Cuban cigars and Cuban rum.

Ahhh, no.

My Mosaics are for me and my hands only. At the same time, I'd not expect another person to lend me his Mosaics either. The sets are too fun to have and too difficult to replace.

I don't want to see my Mosaic sets either not returned, returned with a scratched CD, returned with a wrinkled insert, or returned with coffee cup rings on the booklet. Know what I mean?

I'm a little careful w/the Mosaics, but one thing I do do is give students the CDs that I have replaced or duplicated by buying Mosaics, Selects, RVGs, etc.

I remember discovering the music early on by people giving me recordings, and I think it's important (in a "karmic" way) to pass it on to the next generation.

They can buy their own damn Mosaics, though! ;)

Do you lend out your Mosaic Sets?

This presumes that I know someone who might even know what a mosaic set is or would even care.

That is sadly not the case. The only people who would ask for a Mosaic set from me would be people right here.

And the answer always is,

NO WAY!

:g

Hell no! But then, like Dan, I know precious few people who would be interested. I've been known to make tapes, mostly compilations for my erstwhile Boston roomate, about the only person I know who has a jazz habit of similar proportions to my own.

This presumes that I know someone who might even know what a mosaic set is or would even care.

None of my friends have any idea what a Mosaic is...so I'm safe :g and if they did, the answer would be a polite HELL NO especially considering I only seem to get back about half the dvds I loan out!

Would never do such a thing. Have lent CDs/cassettes to people before and they either took eons to return it or conveniently forgot all about them.

In any case, since the people I know don't listen to jazz, let alone know about Mosaic sets, I'd probably have to pay them to borrow a Mosaic from me. :P

No friggin' way man. I'll make a cdr but no. Somebody I know who's interested in jazz wanted to borrow a couple of Jimmy Smith TOCJs to cdr them. After explaining why not and that I'd make them a cdr, they sort of accepted it but couldn't understand it. Nothing like that leaves these hands.

I once gave my TKM away, to a person who was kind enough to give me several rare LPs. No problem with that, but I never gave one away since.

On the other hand, I would not know anybody who would know to ask.

As far as other discs are concerned, there are two or three persons that more or less constantly have a few of my things, but I'm sure about them not trying to cheat on me. And I get discs from them, too, even LPs.

ubu

A few years back, I sold a Mosaic set on Ebay to a guy who lived here in town. Rather than mail it to him, we agreed to meet up for lunch and to complete the transaction. We had a nice chat, hit it off, and have since become good friends. But at the time he was just a guy I had just met to sell some stuff to. But as I was only just getting into buying Mosaics and he was (though much younger than I) a far more advanced Mosaic collector (I think he got some from his dad as he had numerous early Mosaic sets), he offered to let me CDR some of his OOP and extremely expensive discs. I was concerned, of course, since I knew how valuable some of these sets were and I begged him to just burn me copies on his own - but I guess he didn't have a CD burner at the time so when we next hooked up we traded some discs. I loaned him some rather "average" discs while he handed me a stack of Mosaics. I was shocked to say the least - partly because I don't think I would have loaned them out to such a "stranger," but also because someone trusted me enough to take care of them and eventually return them to him.

I think I had those discs for a month or two before we finally hooked up again. And the pattern repeated several times. I always felt that I received (musically) far more than I offerred in return, but much more importantly a friendship developed and I was reminded that, in this cruel world that so easily turns one cold and cynical, that there is still such a thing as trust and that some things are more important than little silver discs (even with "Mosaic" stamped upon them). I've actually met and become friends with a couple of other locals whom I met on the old BN board, mostly over the sharing of Mosaic and other OOP jazz recordings.

So while I'd much prefer to keep the Mosaics close by my side and "loan" via CDR, I can't agree with those of you who wouldn't loan them out at all...