Upcoming MOSAICS (resuming)

Art Farmer/Benny Golson - The Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet Sessions - 7 CDs (Mosaic) Fall

— will include 12 LPs recorded from 1960-62:

— The Jazztet: "Meet the Jazztet", "Big City Sounds", "And John Lewis", "At Birdhouse", "Here and Now", "Another Git Together"

— Art Farmer: "Art", "Perception", "List to Art Farmer and the Orchestra"

— Benny Golson: "Turning Point", "Free", "Take a Number From 1 To 10"

d76544qm6q8.jpg

I know it is a question of taste but from my point of view this is the most interesting set. I love the combination of Golsen & Farmer and they always sound better when Curtis Fuller joined them to the front line. I can promise you I'll be one of first to pre order this set and I have started already the count down...

The Jazztet really deserve a Mosaic set so thank you Mosaic for doing this historical justice.

I have to agree.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've often wondered why there have never been any boxed sets featuring Freddie Hubbard (as a leader, of course) . I'm sure there are some compelling marketing reasons why there haven't been any, but I don't give a rat's ass. I want a Hub box set!

Again, with the Jamal there are licensing problems.  I have read that Verve released one without asking him and he has taken them to court, and is denying them the release of any others.

Thanks for that information. It's really a shame. That music should be available to the jazz buying public. Hopefully all parties can work things out soon.

Resuming again (and again from Jazzmatazz):

Tal Farlow - The Complete Verve Tal Farlow Sessions - 7 CDs (Mosaic) June 30

— 1954-59; first time on CD for much of the material

— mainly trio and quartet dates, but there are also quintets, sextets and septet dates

— includes three previously unissued alternate takes, as well as breakdowns and alternates on seven tunes

— liner notes by guitarist Howard Alden

— sidemen include bassists Red Mitchell, Oscar Pettiford, Milt Hinton, and Ray Brown; pianists Gerald Wiggins, Claude Williamson, and Eddie Costa; and drummers Joe Morello, Chico Hamilton, and Stan Levey

Woody Herman - The Complete Columbia Recordings of WH and His Orchestra & Woodchoppers (1945-1947) - 7 CDs (Mosaic) June/July

— includes alternate takes and some previously unreleased material

Art Farmer/Benny Golson - The Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet Sessions - 7 CDs (Mosaic) Aug

— will include 12 LPs recorded from 1960-62:

— The Jazztet: "Meet the Jazztet", "Big City Sounds", "And John Lewis", "At Birdhouse", "Here and Now", "Another Git Together"

— Art Farmer: "Art", "Perception", "List to Art Farmer and the Orchestra"

— Benny Golson: "Turning Point", "Free", "Take a Number From 1 To 10"

NEW Johnny Richards - Mosaic Select - 3 CDs (Mosaic) Fall

Freddie Slack - Mosaic Select - 3 CDs (Mosaic) Fall

Gerry Mulligan - Songbooks - 4 CDs (Mosaic Select) 2003? — remastered from rediscovered stereo tapes

— includes unissued "Stringtime" tracks

Benny Goodman - Columbia Records - nn CDs (Mosaic) — time period TBD

McCoy Tyner - Blue Note Sessions (Mosaic) 2004

Dexter Gordon - Mosaic Select: Nights At the Keystone (Mosaic) late 2004

Don Pullen-George Adams - Mosaic Select (Mosaic) late 2004?

— the two Pullen/Adams Blue Note albums plus the two Pullen trio albums

Andrew Hill - Mosaic Select (Mosaic) 2005

— previously unreleased 1967-1970 Blue Note sessions

Various Artists - Capitol Big Band Sessions (Mosaic) (doubtful)

Erroll Garner - Columbia Sessions (Mosaic) (in doubt, due to licensing)

Various Artists - The Complete Keynote Recordings (Mosaic) (in doubt, due to licensing)

My name is Bill Byam,a new member. The Garner situation is sad indeed.Martha Glaser ,Errols former manager, has control used her veto power to sabotage a Mosaic box set issue.She has a bitter personal vendetta with Columbia executives

and in her mid-eighties has been victimized by senility. Classics will release the remaining Garner material over time .Look for a fall release of the solo recordings of Feb 1952. Hope this clarifies the matter.

I bet the people at Disconforme will release an Erroll Garner box on Definitive or Jazz Factory of whatever as soon as the 50-year copyright limit has been reached.

Will be looking for that one!

I've often wondered why there have never been any boxed sets featuring Freddie Hubbard (as a leader, of course) . I'm sure there are some compelling marketing reasons why there haven't been any, but I don't give a rat's ass. I want a Hub box set!

There was a 5-LP box issued in Italy by an outfit called Black Shell of concert performances (in Venice, Milan and Modena) by the Freddie Hubbard Quintet of 1981 (with David Schnitter, Billy Childs, Larry Klein and Carl Burnett).

It was a limited edition box. And pretty expensive.

The Jamal litigation has been cleared up.It depends now on how much money Jamal wants. Orrin Keepnews reported that all the unissued tracks of Jamal sessions had vanished from the Argo/Chess vaults. Hopefully,as in the case of Coltrane, they went home with Ahmad. A Jamal Mosaic box may be a better prospect than some now on that list.

Resuming again (and again from Jazzmatazz):

Tal Farlow - The Complete Verve Tal Farlow Sessions - 7 CDs (Mosaic) June 30

— 1954-59; first time on CD for much of the material

— mainly trio and quartet dates, but there are also quintets, sextets and septet dates

— includes three previously unissued alternate takes, as well as breakdowns and alternates on seven tunes

— liner notes by guitarist Howard Alden

— sidemen include bassists Red Mitchell, Oscar Pettiford, Milt Hinton, and Ray Brown; pianists Gerald Wiggins, Claude Williamson, and Eddie Costa; and drummers Joe Morello, Chico Hamilton, and Stan Levey

I'm really looking forward to this one for some reason. I preordered it, and I have zero Farlow in my collection. Just going by the line-ups, and the fact that everyone ravs about these sessions.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you're aware of this: Mosaic was planning a Granz Jam Sessions set. Now they told me that Verve will do this themselves - let's hope they do it right, nevertheless!

ubu

And if they do get it done, expect some fancy smancy packaging. Hope they don't catch on the idea of the glass jar PD mentioned at AAJ. ;)

I don't know if you're aware of this: Mosaic was planning a Granz Jam Sessions set. Now they told me that Verve will do this themselves - let's hope they do it right, nevertheless!

ubu

And if they do get it done, expect some fancy smancy packaging. Hope they don't catch on the idea of the glass jar PD mentioned at AAJ. ;)

I'd have love this stuff get the Mosaic-treatment...

Maybe they will jam it up:

Jam.jpg

ubu :g