Warne Marsh

Nate Dorward

Repost from "Great Finds" thread in the vinyl section. Figured the appearance of Marsh might be of interest here since, I imagine, many members have not heard this session:

I just picked up the 5-LP box set, Lennie Tristano Memorial Concert. Features a number of folks I've never heard of but also Sal Mosca, Sheila Jordan(?), and the trio of Warne Marsh/Eddie Gomez/Peter Scattaretico. The trio does "I Love You", "Trilogy", and "I Should Care". It was all of $8.99.

Brandon, I would be interested to know what you think of it after you listen to it. I picked one up awhile back at a similar bargain price ($7 I think). The Marsh cuts were great, and the Sheila Jordan was fine but very badly recorded (superb bass solo by Cameron Browne on one of the cuts), but I though the rest of it was pretty lame. I burned the Marsh cuts and then sold the set. No regrets.

Just wanted to make mention of An Unsung Cat - The Life and Music of Warne Marsh (Storyville 8314). Apologies if it's been commented on in this thread and I've missed it. Most of this CD is made up of recordings from previously discussed CDs and LPs on Prestige/Riverside/OJC, VSOP, Storyville, Inner City, Vanguard, and Zinnia (not sure if anyone's mentioned the Zinnia recordings with Sal Mosca).

In addition, there are several recordings from private sources that will probably interest some people here. One is a recording from a Hoagy Carmichael radio show, recorded in late 1945 or early 1946, featuring an eighteen year old Warne Marsh playing with The Teen-Agers, a big band. He wasn't yet the Warne Marsh we came to know in later years, but it's interesting to hear him at such an early stage in his playing career.

Also included is a 1986 concert recording of a Gary Foster led student big band playing Clare Fischer's arrangement of "Lennie's Pennies", with fine soloing by both Marsh and Foster.

Finally, there is a 1987 live duo recording with guitarist Larry Koonse.

This probably isn't a recording to get if you have little or no Warne Marsh in your collection (although it does provide a pretty decent overview of his recording career).

If you have most or all of the recordings already mentioned in this thread, however, you may very well find the rare material fascinating listening.

I should mention that this CD was compiled by Safford Chamberlain as a musical complement to his book with the same title. I haven't read the book, so I have no comment to make on it.

I haven't read the book, so I have no comment to make on it.

Shame on you. Read the damn book. Mostly great stuff.

I'm still pissed a Safford for dubbing a bit of the cd from vinyl.

Yeah, I know. You and Jim recommended this book sometime last year when I posted an inquiry about it. I tried to order it from a friend who runs a local bookstore (I try to give him as much of my business as possible, since he's fighting a losing battle with the B&N and Borders in our area), and he was notified by the publisher that it was out of print. I checked the Scarecrow Press website a couple of nights ago, and it seems to be available now. I'll get it eventually. I know that if you guys recommend it, that it's something I should read. Right now, I just have too much going on, including a possible move, that I don't have the time or energy to get to it. I do appreciate that both of you took the time to recommend it (twice!).

Thank you so much, J. The Warne Marsh community keeps growing as well thanks to folks like yourself . Im currently living in Japan where jazz is still well respected and there is quite a following for my father. Not to boast, but when I told them who my father was at the jazz club I play at, they made me a guest a guest of honor. Then I had to get up on stage and live up to expectations (yikes!!! That was tough)

Sorry ss1, but no. In fact, for any of you who are interested in adding to your Warne Marsh collection, Im sorry to say that I"m not the man to turn to. I actually still have to but copies of my fathers stuff if I want my hands on on it, especially the stuff on vinyl, which tragically Ill probably never be able to get the full catalogue. I actually had never heard of the set that you had mentioned, ss1, until now.

Guest ariceffron

could you please share with the readers a little about your relationship with your dad Warne particularly as it relates to him and his music. i read the bio on him and it was very interesting so i would be interested in hearing anything else you had to say, etc. ps- have u heard warne and art pepper in 1977 with lou levy and monty budwig. that is the bomb

I apologize to J. I actually do have some of the disk, I just didnt get the tmk initials at first. My brother had bought the set and burned a copy for me, but I lost some in the process of moving. Thanks for the offer J.

I unfortuntely dont have any unique insites to my fathers music. He wasnt home much, never really had the time to directly show me or teach me much because he was always touring. After my parents dicorced when I was eleven, I only saw him five times in the five years before he died.

Ill tell you that my father cared very deeply about the music, which im sure you guessed already. He had been asked by the doctor to stop playing with such vigor after his first heart attack, which was 6 months before the fatal one. The doctor might have well as asked an elephant to stop using it's trunk.

My opinion of my fathers music is both biased and unbiased, as Im his son, and also a musician myself.