Warne Marsh

Nate Dorward

The other day I heard the date with Paul Chambers and Philly Joe, from '57. Smokin'! You can hear Warne's Pres roots and any doubt that he swung his ass off will be instantly quashed. Very mainstream, but individual tenor playing with his own light sound and great ideas.

Does anybody happen to know if this Atlantic date that you mention was ever reissued in the Atlantic JAZZLORE LP series of the 80s?

I figure an original will be out of price and recent CD reissues (e.g. Fresh Sound) have idiotic pairings where you are bound to already have half of the contents 8i.e. one of the 2 LPs coupled together). And I prefer vinyl anyway if the alternatives exist ... ;)

That album was only reissued in vinyl form in Japan. My copy (with original cover) was part of the Warner-Pioneer Japan 'Jazz-Forever 2' series that came out in the early '80s.

The other day I heard the date with Paul Chambers and Philly Joe, from '57. Smokin'! You can hear Warne's Pres roots and any doubt that he swung his ass off will be instantly quashed. Very mainstream, but individual tenor playing with his own light sound and great ideas.

Does anybody happen to know if this Atlantic date that you mention was ever reissued in the Atlantic JAZZLORE LP series of the 80s?

I figure an original will be out of price and recent CD reissues (e.g. Fresh Sound) have idiotic pairings where you are bound to already have half of the contents 8i.e. one of the 2 LPs coupled together). And I prefer vinyl anyway if the alternatives exist ... ;)

My friend had it (bizarrely) coupled with a Charles Lloyd recording----on CD, not sure of the label.

• 1 month later...

Warne Marsh is probably the greatest improvisor I ever heard.

It's really that simple.

He took Tristano and transcended it. I particularly enjoy his recordings in the 80's where his tone got this refined burned quality to it.

Warne Marsh Sal Mosca Quartet Vol 1 - 2... talk about music.

How is the Konitz/Warne on Pausa? Saw that for $10 the other day. I admit to being slowed in my purchase by the ugly cover art, though I do like later Warne.

Very fine set, on a similar level to London Concert (Wave) , it was my first exposure to Warne and Lee when I picked it up in the early 90s. Sound quality is fine but nothing special.

How is the Konitz/Warne on Pausa? Saw that for $10 the other day. I admit to being slowed in my purchase by the ugly cover art, though I do like later Warne.

Very fine set, on a similar level to London Concert (Wave) , it was my first exposure to Warne and Lee when I picked it up in the early 90s. Sound quality is fine but nothing special.

But not the same session, I presume. Thanks.

Did anyone happen to notice that there are a bunch of WM recordings coming out shortly. Scroll down a bit to find them. I'm familiar with the Wave recordings. The others have me curious, particulary the 4 CD set with Konitz.

http://www.dustygroove.com/browse.php?incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&kwfilter=warne+marsh

Edited by blind-blake

The 4 cd box is entitled Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz - Two Not One. It is being released by Storyville. I received a review copy a few weeks ago (I do a few reviews for the IAJRC Journal). It consists of the three Montmartre albums and the two Unreleased in Copenhagen albums. It's a nice package - the Montmartres are grouped chronologically. 4 discs in paper sleeves, nice booklet with notes by Alun Morgan, all in a small box that will fit on your cd shelf. In the absence of any mention to the contrary, I assume it is not remastered, but it sounds good to my ears. Wonderful music, of course. Amazon shows a pre-release price of $29.98 which strikes me as being a good value.

That Pausa album is very, very high on my "must have" list of both Marsh & Konitz. Pianoless quartet, quite well recorded (as if you are inside the band, not in front of them), and free-vlowing playong by all concerned. Not a less-than-on-it note on the entire album.

The Pausa album is from a May 1976 session at Ronnie Scott's. The London Concert at the Shaw Theater is from a March 1976 gig.

The Pausa LP was widely available when it came out. Can't say the same thing about the Wave 'London Concert'. Never ran into that one!

The 4 cd box is entitled Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz - Two Not One. It is being released by Storyville. I received a review copy a few weeks ago (I do a few reviews for the IAJRC Journal). It consists of the three Montmartre albums and the two Unreleased in Copenhagen albums. It's a nice package - the Montmartres are grouped chronologically. 4 discs in paper sleeves, nice booklet with notes by Alun Morgan, all in a small box that will fit on your cd shelf. In the absence of any mention to the contrary, I assume it is not remastered, but it sounds good to my ears. Wonderful music, of course. Amazon shows a pre-release price of $29.98 which strikes me as being a good value.

Thanks Pete. I may go for this one.

Thanks Pete. I may go for this one.

Me too!

The Pausa album is from a May 1976 session at Ronnie Scott's. The London Concert at the Shaw Theater is from a March 1976 gig.

The Pausa LP was widely available when it came out. Can't say the same thing about the Wave 'London Concert'. Never ran into that one!

Alan at Jazz House Records appears to have a copy of the London Concert for a reasonable price

Jazz House Records

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

The recent mention of Warne in the Wayne Shorter New Yorker thread, reminds me that I'm woefully neglectful of knowing much of Warne's output.  I *do* have All Music, of course (Chuck's most recent CD issue, with all the great bonus material) -- but I'm a little embarrassed to say, that's all I've got.

Anyway, I thought I'd pop this thread up for some more discussion.  Some Mosaics seem to be popping up on eBay for surprisingly reasonable prices over the last couple years, so maybe I need to keep an eye out for a copy of the Tristano/Konitz/Marsh box, I suppose.  Or is there a good 1-2 disc alternative that I could spring for, that wouldn't set me back a whole ton?

• (BTW, I'm equally neglectful of having/knowing much Tristano or earlier Konitz either, I suppose should also confess -- though I've heard a smattering of more recent Konitz from the last 25 years, and even saw him live back in KC back in 2006, just that one time.)

Anyway, it's really "Warne" advice I'm looking for - where else to begin, beyond All Music.