Warne Marsh

Nate Dorward

This is somewhat off-topic but at LC today I watched an episode of The Subject is Jazz from the late-50's. It was apparently the 'cool jazz' episode and included in-house performances with a band led by Billy Taylor and featuring Warne and Lee Konitz. I can't remember every tune they played but about ten seconds after I asked "Do they do 'Subconscious-Lee'?" they played it. It was pretty funny. Great footage of Warne and Lee togehther.

That jaw-moving TOTALLY freaks out every saxophonist who sees it!

(but it's also an object lesson in getting the tone from the diaphragm and throat and keeping the embouchure totally slack so as not to impede the airflow/reed vibration as well...)

Interesting that you say this Jim because, while watching Warne, I was amazed that his tone didn't waver more than it did--however intentionally. By this I mean that, if I weren't already familiar with Warne's music and the sound was off on the television, I might have assumed that he'd have a wide Ayler-esque vibratto, given that he had such an *active* embouchure. KnowwhatImean...?

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the following on the English Warnie site:

I've received word from Safford Chamberlain that his book "An Unsung Cat - the life and music of Warne Marsh" will be published as a paperback towards the end of October. It will contain some revisions, but the photographs which featured in the hardback edition, will not be present in this new edition. But, helpfully, there will be an index which was a glaring omission from the original. The book will again be published by Scarecrow Press and will cost $20 - $25.

This is good news ('cept for the loss of photos).

If you have any interest in Warne get this fine book.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

• 1 month later...

Some, none at length, but all of them heavy. His "The Song Is You" solo from that side is the one that Anthony Braxton repeatedly refers to as one of the turning points of his (Braxton's) life.

Sorry, I got dazed and confused with all the recommendations flying fast and furious. Which cd is this solo off of? Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Guest ariceffron

YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF TRYING TO HAVE A "BLACKLIST" OF WARNE CDS THAT SHOULD EXIST. ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR GOURD. YOUR DAD IF YOU DONT REALLY KNOW WAS THE BEST TENOR SAX SOLIST IN JAZZ HISTORY, ACORDING TO SOME, AND HERE YOU ARE "BLACKLISTING" CONCERT TAPES OF HIS CAUSE YOUR HIS KID. JUST CAUSE YOU WERE THE PRODUCT OF WARNE AND GERELDYNES(is that name correct?) CONCEPTION- IT DOES NOT GIVE YOU ANY RIGHT TO FUCKING 'BLACKLIST' WARNE CDS. I KNOW I DIDNT KNOW WARNE AND YOU DID BUT I AM TELLING YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY SOUL WARNE WOULD WANT PEOPLE TO HEAR HIS SOLOS ON THE BLACKLIST. WARNES LEGIT LPS DIDNT HARDLY SELL ANYWAY. IM SURE WARNE WOULDNT OF GAVE THAT BIG OF A FUCK WHAT LPS HE WAS AND WAS NOT ON IN CIRCULATION IN RECORD STORES ACROSS AMERICA. IF YOU CAN PROVE TO ME OTHERWISE FINE, AND I WILL STAND CORRECTED. BUT I SERIOUSLY DOUBT YOU CAN.

Well, I'm a few months late to this discusion, and at the risk of pissing some people off, the previous comments (and I have not read the ENTIRE thread) about Live in Vegas and Toshi Taenaka are not exactly accurate. I knew Toshi when he was putting together the Live in Vegas CD and offered to serve as a US distribution point. Toshi, who will have to speak for himself, assured me that clearance was not a problem; when the CD came out I put out a fair amount of money to wholesale the CD; it was released. I received a call from a third party who advised me that Geraldyne was upset at it's release. I called Geraldyne (this goes back 4 or 5 years). She told me she believed that there was not permission to put out the CD. We made an agreement of a royalty rate of 50 cents per CD that I would pay her. Now, it has been a while, but as I recall I payed her enough to cover the sale of some number of CDs that we agreed on at the time. I did this even though I was really a distributor and not the record company. The CD was basically withdrawn from general distribution and, since than, I have attempted to sell them off at cutout prices, just to get my money back, which I have not. I am also reasonably certain that I have sold less than the amount for which I paid her a royalty (the CD has sold MAYBE 300 copies). Geraldyne was agreeable to this -

Edited by AllenLowe