Warne Marsh

Nate Dorward

The Warne Marsh community keeps growing as well thanks to folks like yourself .

That's a good thing. :tup

Until Chuck re-issued All Music, I have to admit I was somewhat ignorant of your father's genius.

Needless to say I have done whatever I can to bring myself up to speed.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Thanks for the heads-up on this one.

Details, from the excellent Warne Marsh Site

57-1006 JOE ALBANY.

'Galleon Room', Dana Point, CA., October 6, 1957.

Warne Marsh, ts; Joe Albany, p; Bob Whitlock, b; unknown, d.

1 THESE ARE THE THINGS I LOVE ?

2 DAAHOUD ?

3 NOW'S THE TIME ?

4 BILLIE'S BOUNCE ?

5 BODY AND SOUL ?

6 LIMEHOUSE BLUES ?

7 OUR LOVE IS HERE TO STAY ?

8 I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN ?

9 ONCE IN A WHILE ?

10 NIGHT AND DAY ?

11 MY LITTLE SUEDE SHOES ?

12 DARN THAT DREAM ?

13 AFTER YOU'VE GONE inc. ?

14 EASY TO LOVE ?

15 S'WONDERFUL ?

16 TEA FOR TWO ?

17 THE SONG IS YOU ?

18 THE WAY YOU LOOK TONIGHT ?

Note: Selections from this tape are scheduled to be issued by VSOP/Mode Records.

all PR Tape owned by Geraldyne Marsh

Has anyone else heard the recent Warne Marsh/Larry Koonse release? Very fine stuff.

Pete

Dear Fans of my Father,

The recent release, Final Interplay, was released by Tosh Tanaka, who for several years now has been releasing cds of my father without my mother's consent. My mother is the head of my dad's estate. Tosh was my fahter's former producer and we haven't received one red cent from him since my father's death. My family is in the process of pursuing legal action against him.

This isn't about the money, as we recieve no more than a few hundred dollars a year in royalties from my father's legacy of music. It's about principal.

Personal Statement, Live in Las Vegas, and Final Interplay have all been released without the permission of the Marsh family. If you have bought these already, it's ok; you didn't know but I encourage all those who haven't bought them not to do so. You'll be supporting a criminal

I hope those at this sight don't mind me using their forum to fight the good fight and I thank them. Thanks again to all the Warne fans as well.

Jason Parker Marsh

Dear Fans of my Father,

The recent release, Final Interplay, was released by Tosh Tanaka, who for several years now has been releasing cds of my father without my mother's consent. My mother is the head of my dad's estate. Tosh was my fahter's former producer and we haven't received one red cent from him since my father's death. My family is in the process of pursuing legal action against him.

This isn't about the money, as we recieve no more than a few hundred dollars a year in royalties from my father's legacy of music. It's about principal.

Personal Statement, Live in Las Vegas, and Final Interplay have all been released without the permission of the Marsh family. If you have bought these already, it's ok; you didn't know but I encourage all those who haven't bought them not to do so. You'll be supporting a criminal

I hope those at this sight don't mind me using their forum to fight the good fight and I thank them. Thanks again to all the Warne fans as well.

Jason Parker Marsh

Please don't misunderstand what I'm about to write. I like Marsh, have several LPs by him, a few CDs, but in all honesty I am not a Marsh "collector" and therefore am not likely to purchase the 3 you mention, the purchase of which would support a producer who you claim is a "criminal". However, jazz fans, especially those who frequent a board like Organissimo, tend to be collectors of one or more jazz musicians or particular styles of jazz. Asking those particular collectors of Marsh or Tristano-influenced jazz to not purchase the 3 CDs in question is a waste of time, IMO. We collectors don't purchase the CDs, LPs, videos, etc., with the idea of enriching anyone. We purchase the output of a particular artist, simply put, because we have GOT to have it. Nothing pisses us off more than to see an album we've been thinking about purchasing go out of print, be hard to obtain, and then surface on some dealer's list or eBay at an exorbitant price. The pain we endure at this occurrence is greatly exacerbated the more we tend to value the artist, each of us saying to ourselves repeatedly, "how could I have let that one (or 3 in this case) pass me by"?

We rationalize these purchases of bootleg or questionably produced material by assuring ourselves that we've purchased all the legitimate product by the artist. Surely he, whether he is still living or not, would not begrudge us this pleasure of having more of his output. That's the way it is.

Im not interested in depriving anyone of my father's music, but I'm am interested in preserving the integrity of our family. I'm utterly thankful for all of you for collecting his music tooth and nail, but the price you pay for bootlegs comes at a price to that very integrity and to the integrity to other artist as well.

These bootlegs are material that my family would release on our own if we could, but now we can't easily do it.

Also, this is not a scenario like that of the Grateful Dead, who to my knowledge gave permission for other's to record their act. What I'm talking about is material that was RELEASED withouth permission.

I don't think anybody has to have this material under any circumstance and can wait patiently until if and when it's released in fairness.

-Jpm

Guest ariceffron

1st OFF- WARNE LET PEOPLE TAPE HIS CONCERTS AND EVEN HIS PRACTCE SESSIONS IF THEY WANTED TO. WARNE WAS A MUSIC TEACHER AND HE BELIEVED IN THAT. AND BESIDES THIS IS THE LATE 70S/EARLY 80S AND THOSE TAPE RECORDERS ARE BECCOMING MORE AND MORE ACCESSIBLE/MANAGABLE TO PEOPLE THEN AS OPPSED TO THOSE HEFTY (YET COOLER) AMPEX DEALIES. ---IN ADDITION-- THIS VERY SAME TIMEFRAME, THE LATE 70S/EARLY 80S, IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST PERIOD OF CREATIVITY FOR MR. WARNE. BY ME SAYING THIS I AM REFERRING SPECIFFICALLY TO HIS PLAYING IN LIVE CONTEXTS. IF ANY STUDIO ALBUMS EXIST FROM THIS TIME (I THINK I HAVE 1)-- THEY ARE OK IM SURE BUT IT IS HEARING WARNE PLAY STANDARDS AND ORIGINALS IN A LIVE SETTING, WHERE THE MAGIC TRULY HAPPENS.

SOME OF YOU MAY BE WONDERING WHY I AM SO ADAMENT(SIC?) ABOUT WRITING ALL THIS AND STUFF, AND THAT IS BECAUSE MY FAVORITE WARNE RECORDING OF ALL TIME IS A LIVE VERSION OF 'SOUND LEE' FROM 1981 WHICH CONTAINS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST TENOR SAX SOLO SINCE THE DAYS OF PREZ. I AM TELLING YOU.

AS FOR RELEASING BOOTLEGS, I GUESS YOU COULD DO IT BUT I MEAN, CAN A BOOTLEG MASTER TAPE OWNER SUE IF SOMEONE ELSE RELEASES HIS BOOTLEG? AS TO THIS I AM NOT SURE AND WOULD LIKE ANOTHER BOARD MEMBER TO ANSWER.

Once again, these are cd's that are being released for sale. I don't doubt for a minute that my father wanted his music shared and he did let his music be recorded while performing, but he wouldn't have wanted his family to be deprived of potential earnings.

There are many reasons why my father remained true to his style of play for his entire career. One of those reasons, and this is an unimpeachable fact, is that he believed in the integrity of the music he was playing. I know that I, and many others who have listened to him closely over the span of his life, could hear it in his playing, and it is one of the reasons why he continues to earn the respect from long time fans and new admirers 17 years after his death.

In some ways I don't feel comfortable encouraging people not to purchase these cd's because I know that those of you who want them do so soleyl to enjoy his music, but even I haven't bought these cd's of which I speak of for all the reasons I have mentioned, and yes, I'd like to hear them as well.

Since my father is dead, it's up to my family to protect that integrity, and if it means encouraging people not to purchase these cd's, then I've done here, and thank for at least considering it and being patient with me and my beliefs.

I still love you, dad.

Those are my final words, I suspect

JPM

When it comes to materials like this, my personal feeling is that this is one instance where nobody should have any compunction whatsoever about copying and distributing the material amongst true fans.

Beat the bootleggers at their own game - even one purchased copy is fair game for countless numbers of copies to be distributed to true fans. Doing it this way gets the music to those who love it, and it also means substantially less income for the thieves (and I'd have a hard time thinking of somebody who raided a dead man's home in search of tapes to issue as anything other than a thief).

The corrolary to this, which was made clear in the distribution of the Ayler tree material a while back, is that if you get ANY bootleged material through means such as this, you then have a moral obligation to purchase it when it is released through legitimate means (legitimate to me meaning paying money to the estate of the artist).

Although I greatly enjoy Tosh Tanaka's Marsh releases, knowing now how he came about the material, and how he's avoiding/screwing the estate, I will no longer look for "real" copies of them, and will instead gleefully pursue burns of them form friends, and will gleefully provide same to same. And I will even more gleefully purchase "real" copies if and when the material is released in a legitimate and ethical fashion.

:) I happen to know Warne did not love being taped without his permission. Maybe you just did not know him as well as I did. I am happy you love his music and you can get music I can't even get. I won't go so far as to call certain behavior criminal but Warne would have. After all it was his music. His many years of work just taken because it can be done. Warne's music is full of integrity let's hope it rubs off.

Mrs.Warne Marsh

Geraldyne

AS FOR RELEASING BOOTLEGS, I GUESS YOU COULD DO IT BUT I MEAN, CAN A BOOTLEG MASTER TAPE OWNER SUE IF SOMEONE ELSE RELEASES HIS BOOTLEG?

Nope. When you engage in illegal activities the law isn't on your side. This is why marijuana growers in the US can't patent their strains and hookers don't sue their pimps for shoddy dental plans.

Zappa released a series of official bootlegs (or bootlegs of bootlegs) "as is," which made them easier for some less enterprising fans to own. Yet at the same time many of these fans were upset at the sound quality, as no remixing/mastering was done. They were just the same old boots with a Rhino logo on the back.

But unlike with bootlegs, the right person got paid.

Edited by Quincy

:) I happen to know Warne did not love being taped without his permission. Maybe you just did not know him as well as I did. I am happy you love his music and you can get music I can't even get. I won't go so far as to call certain behavior criminal but Warne would have. After all it was his music. His many years of work just taken because it can be done. Warne's music is full of integrity let's hope it rubs off.

Mrs.Warne Marsh

Geraldyne

Welcome to the forum, Geraldyne. Pleasure to have you here.

This is a very interesting discussion here.

Just a side question: Do people think there are bootleg labels releasing private tapes of people like Warne Marsh out of profit motive? I would be skeptical that there is much money in it.

On the other hand, I can understand very well why Warne Marsh himself and other artists would want some control over exactly what is recorded and released. But that is another question.

Wasn't sure if If I was going to join the discussion again, but since mother dearest has, well...

There is the question of the profit, but there is also this the matter of how much money is being generated.

If the albums that the producer in question has released have sold a combined total of 25,000 copies, then he's generated almost half a million dollars, of which my father, his family and also the other musicians on the albums (as far as I know) haven't received squat. If the producer received some, and the deserving folks received none, it's horrid. Again, principal is the key to all this, as far as Im concerened.

This producer get's to be known as the last, and in some dubious cases present producer of a legend, which I'm guessing is only going to attract him more business. That also irritates me.

Love you mom :D

Jpm

I just want to say some of you may consider this a conflict of interest BUT every "non paying" label whether a bootleg or fraudulent outfit is not only stealing from the family, BUT they are robbing sales from the labels living up to their obligations.

Being as straight as I can be - I sent Gerry Marsh an advance check and some cds after an announcement of my release. I paid Warne for the session and sent royalty checks to Warne in NY as a result of queries from Warne and Gerry.

Warne was an unrecognized GIANT, but the audience recognition never reflected.

I support anything the family does to protect their rights.