Warne Marsh

Nate Dorward

I'm in the same boat as Catesta, only more so; I think this is the first I've ever heard of Marsh at all, not just as a leader. Jeez, who else am I missing? :ph34r:

I just, today, learned, for the first time, of the name Buddy Bolden. Sheesh.

I'm no longer concerned about who I don't know about. I'm glad this music continues to provide me with new names to discover. The names of Lennie Tristano and Warne Marsh are new to me too. I'd heard of Lee Konitz but have, until just recently, known nothing about the man.

The Marsh/Brown thing is I think pretty special. The new FS "Complete 1956/7" is a must have even if it's not complete (missing two takes from the Jazz in 2 cities session)

Another not mentioned is the excellent Konitz/Marsh date on Pausa ( rec Ronnie Scotts 1976?) on Lp only as far as I am aware.

Jeez, who else am I missing?  :ph34r:

A question I ask myself everyday. B)

And it's frustrsting as hell, because how can you know what you don't know about unless you already know about it?

Q: "Why didn't I know about THIS?"

A: "Because you didn't know about it."

Q: "Well, why not?"

A: "Because you didn't know that it was there"

Q: "Well, why not?"

A: "Because you didn't know about it."

and so forth.

If that's not a good reason to drink, I don't know what is. :g

I've always had a soft spot for STAR HIGHS (Criss Cross).

Leave us not also forget the Konitz / Marsh material on Prestige...

konitz186.gif

What do you all think of the Marsh / Joe Albany "rehearsals" that were released on Riverside as THE RIGHT COMBINATION? This recording gave me my first exposure to Warne...

OK - in answer to Nate's original question I will deal with the '50s first (Marsh as leader [or shadow leader in one case and sideman in another]).

The Jazz of Two Cities date is essential. The Capitol reissue includes their Tristano sides as well. The sound and notes are terrific.

Little attention has been to the Mode date. This is a very well recorded quartet date from just after the demise of the band with Ted Brown. The rhythm section is Ronnie Ball, Red Mitchell and Stan Levey. Get it.

Supplemental to these are the two dates this band made under other "leaders". The first is Free Wheeling made for Vanguard, under Ted Brown's name. The second is the date under Art Pepper's name for Contemporary. The Vanguard date is currently available in a two disc package from Fresh Sounds, coupled with most of "Two Cities" and some other goodies. The most complete version of the Pepper Contemporary stuff was issued on a 55 minute disc called Art Pepper with Warne Marsh (more complete than the initial domestic release.

The Atlantic date (in the Mosaic box) is superficially uninviting. The spare, dry sound takes some getting used to but it is a fascinating document.

I have ignored "private" recordings per the initial request, but must mention the Xanadu lp for those wanting to dig deeper. This is a recording was made by Bob Andrews in 1952. Warne is playing in a club with Hamp Hawes, Joe Mondragon and Shelly Manne. After the glimpses of a "talented player" from the Tristano and Konitz sides, this shows the musician in full flight. I find these recordings irresistable.

I hope this helps someone discover the genius of Warne.

More to come later.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Because of Chuck's review above of the various Marsh recordings, I dug out my still sealed copy of Intuition and started listening. I was in another part of the house when the first Tristano cut came on. My reaction to what I heard was to exclaim "wow" and get back in front of the speakers to really listen. Interestingly enough, the name of the track was "Wow". I'm also stunned how good these 1949 recordings sound. Thanks Chuck for getting me off my duff to listen to this gem.

]

The Art Pepper - Warne Marsh album is available as a Japanese 20-bit K2 remastered CD from Red Trumpet. They're having a special spring sale until March 31.

It's one of the very first Cd I bought, back in 87 or 88. But in different print made by CARRERE for CONTEMPORARY to be be distributed in France.

As the complete session between them this didn't exist as an LP, so, this CD seems to be a must to have.

But, curiously, I never warm much to this session. I'm not certain than this two was really compatible.

I bought ... THE WAY IT WAS sometimes after as an LP and I was interesting better by the second side with his takes comming from different previous session.

Edited by P.L.M

Chuck--many thanks. I take it the Pepper/Marsh session is the same as the date issued on the first side of The Way It Was!? I like that compilation a lot (the outtakes on Side B from Pepper's other dates of the time are nearly as good as the original LPs).

Yes the Xanadu LP is great stuff! I dug it out of a recordstore bin full of Xanadus a few years ago along with one of the Dolo Coker discs--a find.

Chuck--many thanks.  I take it the Pepper/Marsh session is the same as the date issued on the first side of The Way It Was!?

The Art Pepper with Warne Marsh CD (Victor Japan VICJ-60767) has these tracks:

I Can't Believe That You're in Love with Me

I Can't Believe That You're in Love with Me (alternate take)

All the Things You Are

All the Things You Are (alternate take)

What's New

Avalon

Tickle Toe

Warnin'

Warnin' (alternate take)

Stomping at the Savoy

Edited by J.A.W.

I have been a fan of Warne Marsh since I first heard the Atlantic album with Konitz, as well as his own Atlantic album when they were first released. "The Art of Improvisation" (as well as "Jazz From The East Village") are wonderful abums. Here is a picture of the second volume produced by bassist Peter Ind on his Wave label from the original tapes he made in 1960. These are the reconstructed performances from which the original Marsh solos were extracted. The bottom album is the remainder of the music from the session first released on Atlantic as "The Real Lee Konitz" ... both of these CDs are superb examples of these two musicians in their prime ....

Garth.

Edited by garthsj

garthsj -

the Revelation albums to which I refer are/were exceprts from the Half Note, some of which appear in toto on the Verve 2 CD set, the rest of which remain unissued in full, at least to my knowledge. The Ind released things are different performances altogether, although they are every bit as superb, and every bit as recommended. Warne was definitely in a zone during those 1959-1960 NY years!

Guest ariceffron

i relally want that konitz/guiffre. i once heard the palo alto from that- it was really different than what i was used to. does warne get many solos on this date?