Which Mosaics probably don’t sell too well?

I can see the Four Fressmen as being one set that hasn't had great sales. Maybe also the Charlie Parker. Yeah, I know its bird, but none of the recordings are complete takes of numbers. Unless you can't live without everything Bird did, you may pass on this one too.

Any others out there right now or from the past that were bombs?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can sit and speculate, but unless we have figures from Mosaic we can't KNOW what sells hot and what sells NOT. Even getting a set in the mail with a number doesn't necessarily tell you much. Some sets vanish fast. . . because of leasing issues. Hardly any seem to really be big sellers in the way that the majors can have big sellers at the retail level. . . .

In the case of the Four Freshmen and the Bobby Hackett that get made fun of on this board. . . I wouldn't go so far as to say that they don't sell well; I don't have any figures, and the bulk of their fanbase is NOT on this board (likely not even on the internet!)

I often wonder how well the Capitol Jazz box sells for Mosaic? I've a feeling it's a very good box. I mean, I want it... but, I continue to avoid making the purchase due to the price tag.

It IS a great set! Get it latest when it hits the "running low" list!

ubu

I've seen quotes that the Basie sets were poor sellers (!), and also that the Django set has been one of their fastest sellers. Whether it still is with the JSP sets available is anybody's guess.

I was lucky enough to get the live Basie - that one was around forever, as was the Woody Shaw.

ubu

I've seen quotes that the Basie sets were poor sellers (!), and also that the Django set has been one of their fastest sellers.  Whether it still is with the JSP sets available is anybody's guess.

Nice Avitar Billyboy! That's one of my favorite albums from the '80s.

Edited by ralphie_boy

In the case of the Four Freshmen and the Bobby Hackett that get made fun of on this board. . . I wouldn't go so far as to say that they don't sell well; I don't have any figures, and the bulk of their fanbase is NOT on this board (likely not even on the internet!)

I'm not sure the bulk of their fanbase is even alive anymore... :D

Seriously, I have the FF box and it's not bad at all - but there is an awful lot of it and I really only listen to 3 or 4 of the nine discs.

I was lucky enough to get the live Basie - that one was around forever, as was the Woody Shaw.

ubu

Damn...I wish it had been around when I first got a Mosaic catalog! No such luck.

And wesbed..the Capitol set is one of my favorites! I'd call it a "must have"! Do like I did and wait for their summer sale and order another twelve discs at $5 off; it helps justify the expense. Okay, actually it's just an excuse to get even more music, but whatever works...

Edited by Jazzmoose

And wesbed..the Capitol set is one of my favorites! I'd call it a "must have"! Do like I did and wait for their summer sale and order another twelve discs at $5 off; it helps justify the expense. Okay, actually it's just an excuse to get even more music, but whatever works...

Voodoo - or at least Mosaic - economics at work!

:g

I'm not sure the bulk of their fanbase is even alive anymore... :D

I saw the Four Freshman about 2 years ago in Florida. Most of the fans have LPs. The fan club has a newsletter that mentions the Mosaic box set. It did seem like the audience was 70 and older.

It would be fun and informative to look at Mosaic's sales figures over the years. Failing that, one can only indulge in uninformed speculation...which is also fun. I've always suspected that the Mildred Bailey box to be a low seller. The large size/price would seem off-putting one would think. Similar assumptions would apply to the Capito box. I was a bit taken aback to learn that most Mosaic collections don't sell out; rather, the plug gets pulled due to the time-out of their licensing agreement. So a particlar box may have sold 1/2 to 2/3 of the number that were supposed to be available due to sales being that slow.

I was a bit taken aback to learn that most Mosaic collections don't sell out; rather, the plug gets pulled due to the time-out of their licensing agreement. So a particlar box may have sold 1/2 to 2/3 of the number that were supposed to be available due to sales being that slow.

I was surprised, too, when I learned of this information. I've purchased the last few Mosaics before they went OOP. The Fuller, Shank, Mitchell, New Orleans Jazz, and T/K/M. If I remember correctly, I don't believe any of them reached their limit. I'd expect certain sets, such as the Fuller and Mitchell, to have sold all the copies. It's not like these guys were exactly unknowns.

I'm still surprised the Mobley hasn't gone OOP due to it selling all the available copies. Of course, I'm immersed in the world of jazz music and Hank seems much more important to me than he does to the general public. I mean, who wouldn't want this music? I'm thinking, lately, that I, in fact, won't be surprised when I learn that the Mobley box didn't sell-out, rather, expired.

I'm surprised the J J Johnson set is not even on the running low list (yet), granted it probably has a longer sell-by date. This has to rank as one of their current top low sales sets just by the length of time it's been around. There's a great deal of excellent music on this set though.

Edited by LAL

I'm surprised the J J Johnson set is not even on the running low list (yet), granted it probably has a longer sell-by date. This has to rank as one of their current top low sales sets just by the length of time it's been around. There's a great deal of excellent music on this set though.

This is an excellent reminder, LAL. I'd forgotten about the J.J. box. It is one I definitely don't want to miss. I'm surprised it's still available.

I just checked the Mosaic site. The J.J. box (1996) is older than the Mobley, the New Orleans Jazz, and the Tristano/Konitz. I'd expect, with a name like J.J. Johnson, the box would be already gone. It's been available for about eight years.

I was a bit taken aback to learn that most Mosaic collections don't sell out; rather, the plug gets pulled due to the time-out of their licensing agreement. So a particlar box may have sold 1/2 to 2/3 of the number that were supposed to be available due to sales being that slow.

You were surprised? Just to show you how messed up my thinking was, I heard of Mosaic back in the eighties and thought about checking them out, but I thought "5000 copies? Hell, there must be a waiting list just to buy the damned things!" :lol:

It's also true the Shorty Rogers Atlantic etc. was a low sale set. Strange since it's great music and not otherwise available (then).

The Mulligan CBB on the other hand is the best seller of all time. The European Verve distributed sets (2500) are already sold out (they were after 2 months, go figure) and the direct sales from Stanford are already in the 2000's.

Another thing it the VeeJay sets are not running low or something but the licencing expires this year so they are going to be OOP at the end of the year no matter how many set's are left in Stamford. These 2 sets are the best sounding VeeJay material I've ever heard (the music isn't bad either!!!!!). Grab them while you can I would say.

Cheers,

Reinier