Hard-to-find Monk

nmorin

Looking at a couple web discographies for Monk, there are a few studio sessions I appear to be lacking, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction (as my obsessive/compulsive disorder slips into a higher gear).

1951: Especially for You; Nobody Knows. Frankie Passions (?) on vocals

June 25, 1957: Crepuscule with Nellie.

Is the Complete Riverside the ONLY place for this one? I have 90+ percent of the box set from single CDs.

1957/1958: Blue Monk; Light Blue; Evidence: w/ Thad Jones (tp) Charlie Rouse (ts) Thelonious Monk (p) John Ore (b ) Billy Higgins (d) LRC [J] 32C38 7683

No idea what this one is.

February 25, 1958: Coming on the Hudson. Donald Byrd (tp) Johnny Griffin (ts) Pepper Adams (bars) Thelonious Monk (p) Wilbur Ware (b ) Philly Joe Jones (d)

Is the Complete Riverside the ONLY place for this one?

28-Apr-60: San Francisco Holiday; Just You, Just Me.

29-Apr-60: Rund Midnight. Joe Gordon (t) Harold Land, Charlie Rouse (ts) Thelonious Monk (p) John Ore (b ) Shelly Manne (d)

Is the Complete Riverside the ONLY place for these two dates?

February 27, 1965: Well, You Needn't. Charlie Rouse (ts) Thelonious Monk (p) Larry Gales (b ) Ben Riley (d) on the old Columbia LP Misterioso.

Is this on CD anywhere?

February 27, 1965: Well, You Needn't. Charlie Rouse (ts) Thelonious Monk (p) Larry Gales (b ) Ben Riley (d) on the old Columbia LP Misterioso.

Is this on CD anywhere?

The Columbia LP MISTERIOSO (recorded on tour) was reissued in its totality (no additional tracks) on Columbia 468406 2. The CD label itself says "made in Austria" . The back insert states "printed in Holland/distribue en France par Sony Music". I found it 2nd hand so I wouldn't know how you would go about acquiring it. :unsure:

1957/1958: Blue Monk; Light Blue; Evidence: w/ Thad Jones (tp) Charlie Rouse (ts) Thelonious Monk (p) John Ore (b ) Billy Higgins (d) LRC [J] 32C38 7683

No idea what this one is.

This one has been out on an LRC cd, paired with a Turrentine Bros. frontine Max Roach. Good cd to pick up! Both sessions have also appeared on other cds, but my memory is failing me as to which one reproduces the LRC. . . possibly a Moon?

You guys are gods! Thanks.

Let me make sure I have these right:

The 1957/1958 session w/ Thad Jones, Charlie Rouse, John Ore, and Billy Higgins -- LRC [J] 32C38 7683 -- is a live set?

And the 2/65 Well You Needn't on the Columbia Misterioso CD is live, too? Is that the Well You Needn't from Brandeis University?

Not that there's anything wrong with live Monk sets (if I thought there were, my wife'd beat on me for having spent so much scratch on them)--I am just trying to fill out my studio Monk.

So, if I want to get the "Crepuscle with Nellie" from the day before the Monk's Music session; Coming on the Hudson from 2/58; and San Francisco Holiday, Just You Just Me, and Round Midnight from 4/60, it appears I'll need to pony up for the Complete Riverside, no?

So, if I want to get the "Crepuscle with Nellie" from the day before the Monk's Music session; Coming on the Hudson from 2/58; and San Francisco Holiday, Just You Just Me, and Round Midnight from 4/60, it appears I'll need to pony up for the Complete Riverside, no?

As far as I know the aborted session with Shelly Manne & the early version of "Crepuscule with Nellie" are only on the Riverside, yes. I don't quite fathom why you'd want to purchase the Riverside set for the sake of those cuts though, as the session with Manne was very unhappy, & "Crepuscule with Nellie" was redone, better, by the same band the next session (the Hawkins/Coltrane/Gryce sessions).

"Coming on the Hudson" was issued on LP as part of a studio bin-ends set called _Blues Five Spot_. It's OK, though unremarkable.

The main value of the Riverside set by the way is the presence of a fair bit of live material unavailable elsewhere. I think some of the alternate studio takes, too, aren't on the current OJC reissues (though that may be merciful: "Played Twice" & "I Mean You" do get done to death on the Jones/Rouse & Mulligan sessions, respectively....).

I don't quite fathom why you'd want to purchase the Riverside set for the sake of those cuts though

Oh, I doubt very much I would buy it just for those few studio cuts, unless it practically falls in my lap.

Is the additional live stuff on the Complete Riverside mainly from the '61 European tour when Monk in Paris and Monk in Italy were recorded?

"Played Twice" & "I Mean You" do get done to death on the Jones/Rouse & Mulligan sessions, respectively

5 by Monk by 5 does have all three takes of "Played Twice", and Mulligan Meets Monk has the three takes of "I Mean You".

1957/1958: Blue Monk; Light Blue; Evidence: w/ Thad Jones (tp) Charlie Rouse (ts) Thelonious Monk (p) John Ore (b ) Billy Higgins (d)  LRC [J] 32C38 7683

"Blue Monk" comes from a concert in Paris, November 3, 1967, with the Monk quartet (Rouse, Monk, Larry Gales, Ben Riley) plus Clark Terry, Ray Copeland, Jimmy Cleveland, Phil Woods, Johnny Griffin. Also issued on INA/France's Concert 113, LeJazz 7 and Affinity 122.

"Light Blue" and "Evidence" come from a live set in Newport, July 2, 1966, with the regular quartet (Rouse, Monk, Gales and Riley), Also issued on a Denon CD (with other tracks by Max Roach)

Luca

I think that some of the Five Spot material with Griffin isn't available elsewhere (some was on that Blues Five Spot LP, but there's also another couple things, including a track with Blakey sitting in, which I haven't seen elsewhere). The Italy set is the same as usual but there's a total of 12 tracks from France rather than the 8 on the OJC. The Blackhawk sessions have 11 tracks on the set, whereas the OJC has 8 tracks. I'm going by the track listings on amazon.com, which I hope are reliable. None of this stuff's terribly important, though the extra Five Spot stuff at least is nice to have.

• 8 years later...

After doing a search, I decided to ask my questions here, instead of starting a new thread. (I want points from Larry!)

1) Am I correct in thinking that Monk's Columbia album Misterioso has never had a U.S. CD release?

I know that the album was kind of a "bits and pieces" affair from various sessions, and was not actually all recorded live, as it claimed. So:

2) Has all the material from Misterioso appeared on other CD releases, as bonus tracks, perhaps?

I had found Monks 1954 solo session from Paris difficult to find but recently snagged it at Fopp for £5 ( vogue digi pack). They seemed to have plenty (Edinburgh branch)

This one?

B000007WAJ.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think this might be his best solo recording! Love it!

ubu

This is on the Mosaic set, am I right?

Cliff, that was on the Monk Black Lion box set as I recall.

After doing a search, I decided to ask my questions here, instead of starting a new thread. (I want points from Larry!)

1) Am I correct in thinking that Monk's Columbia album Misterioso has never had a U.S. CD release?

I know that the album was kind of a "bits and pieces" affair from various sessions, and was not actually all recorded live, as it claimed. So:

2) Has all the material from Misterioso appeared on other CD releases, as bonus tracks, perhaps?

There are 8 titles (7 live - some edited, 1 studio) on the Columbia LP (2416/9216)

I don't think the Columbia "Misterioso" has ever had a US CD release

possibly all 8 titles have been released on US CD's

Honeysuckle Rose was released on the triple CD box "The Columbia Years"

That just leaves "Well You Needn't" - quartet live at Brandeis Uni (Feb 27, 1965) -> lots of unreleased tracks from this concert (I'm surprised Sony has never released the lot)

That may also be in the 3CD box - there is a version of this track on Disc 3 but I don't own this set & don't have more details - can anyone check?

The "Misterioso" CD is now included in the Euro/UK Monk set "Original Album Classics, Vol 2" - 5CDs - Misterioso/Live in Tokyo (2CD's)/Monk/Monk's Blues

This may answer at least some of your questions:

Music Review: Thelonious Monk Quartet - Misterioso [Remastered ...

This refers to the Riverside "Misterioso" - we're discussing the Columbia one

Edited by romualdo

Jeff: this was discussed in another thread, just found it:

Thanks, Roi (and mikeweil)! That answers my questions completely.

That's the problem with searching for old threads. I never would have thought to search for this discographical information under "Mosaic and other box sets.)

I had found Monks 1954 solo session from Paris difficult to find but recently snagged it at Fopp for £5 ( vogue digi pack). They seemed to have plenty (Edinburgh branch)

This one?

B000007WAJ.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think this might be his best solo recording! Love it!

ubu

This is on the Mosaic set, am I right?

Cliff, that was on the Monk Black Lion box set as I recall.

Right, that's what I thought.

Monk was indeed in fine form and a very relaxed mood during that Paris solo session!

He was so relaxed he forgot the name of some of his tunes! Actually, I'm guessing the producer renamed them. What's with the Franglish "Portrait of an Ermite"? Does anybody know if the original French label said that or "Portrait d'un Ermite"?

And speaking of portraits of ermites:

http://info.francetelevisions.fr/video-info/index-fr.php?id-video=000331624_CAPP_Entrevaux04Portraitdunermite_251020111247_F3