BFT 223 - Thank You For Flying BFT!!!

JSngry

Thanks to everybody who participated by both jsut listening and then for providing some really thoughtful commentaries. I haven't had this much fun hosting a BFT for quite some time! Hopefully the fun was shared!

These answers are for the LP Version.

SIDE ONE (THE PARTY NEVER STOPS)

1. FREDDIE ROACH - Two Different Worlds (from Mo' Greens Please)

MS0yNTc2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ni05NzE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Straight ahead. STRAIGHT F-ING AHEAD. Good times before, during and after.

2.THE J's WITH JAMIE - M.O.A. (Columbia Special Presentation 45)

the-js-with-jamie-for-the-last-time-1963

maxresdefault.jpg

Swinging pretty hard in the pursuit of money, which is just one more way to look for a good time, right? Talking with somebody who knew the people on that scene at that sight, Dick Marx was a big jingle guy who regularly used jazz players because of their flexibility and ability to change on the spot. Players he is said to have regularly used were Jim Atlas on bass (known from some Jimmy Giuffre records) and John Young on organ/piano. No way to confirm if that's them on the record, but it swings WAAAAY harder than it needs to.

3. George Braith - Chop Sticks (from Laughing Soul)

160438455980.jpg

Ny0yOTg5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Spend a day or two checking out all of George Braith's Spotify catalog. Just sayin'. Until then, this party ain't never stoppin'! Even if "Chop Sticks" is credited as a Braith original when it's really just the old classical piano exercise, which really was composed by somebody...who cares, the party stops for no one!)

4. Jim's Edits - Soft Shoe (white label record of unknown origin, sourced from Gerry Mulligan/Bob Brookmeyer Salle Pleyel concert, 1954)

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

Seriously. I have no idea who did this, or if there's only 300 made. But they're out there on Discogs. https://www.discogs.com/release/3231499-Unknown-Artist-Jims-Edits-1

But check out the original and then how totally it's been transformed by this treatment. Live players should pay attention, and yes, take a lesson. Imo, of course. Not that one is better than the other, just that...there are other options available for older material, meaningfully different options.

Now HERE's a party!

Wow, so much party energy...so wound up that it's can be mechanized to go on forever, can it ever break? Will it ever break?

SIDE TWO (THE PARTY NEVER STOPS...UNTIL IT DOES)

5. SUENAGA TOGI and GAGAKU MUSICIANS FROM THE IMPERIAL HOUSEHOLD ORCHESTRA (rec. 1903) - Bairo (from Sound Storing Machines - The First 78 RPM Records from Japan, 1903-1912)

0027183390_10.jpg

0027183392_10.jpg

You ever find yourself being TOTALLY disoriented? Like, NO idea of time, place, space, anything? Until this cut on this CD, the last time that happened to me was when I get lost in an Albert Ayler bagpipe thing, got lost and wasn't sure how to get back out.

This is an amazing CD for any number of reasons, but nothing else on here discombobulated me the way this one did (and for a long time...maybe even to this date, a little bit).

6. GIL MELLE - Jog Falls Spinning Song (from Tome VI)

MS02MDUxLmpwZWc.jpeg

NS0xMzIyLmpwZWc.jpeg

A little more focus, but still getting woozy and fuzzy, still not wure exactly where we are, but at least it's some place...

Those liner notes that you can't read up there tell you that the musicians are

• Bass, Cello, Electronics [Envelope] – Benfaral Matthews
  • Percussion – Fred C. Stofflet
  • Piano, Electronics [Electar] – Forrest Westbrook
  • Soprano Saxophone, Electronics [Tome Vi, Effects Generator], Liner Notes, Composed By, Arranged By – Gil Melle

They will also give you a basic breakdown of what all of these homemade electronics do. It's incredibly primitive by today's standards, but in 1968, "electronic music" that didn't involve computers and/or tapes WAS primitive. Don Ellis was finding a few commercially-made products, but Gil Melle was just doing it for himself!

I've long had the LP, but the version here came from this collection: https://alphastate.nyc/products/gil-melle-the-andromeda-strain

If you want to hear more of Gil Melle post-1950s BN/Prestige, this is a well-recommended set.

7. NEW YORK ART QUARTET w/AMIRI BARAKA - Seek Light At Once (from 35th Anniversary) Includes the poem "Masked Angel Costume":

MS05OTI4LmpwZWc.jpeg

OC02NzAzLmpwZWc.jpeg

I think that Baraka is one of the most musical readers/reciters there's been. Not always, but quite often.

As for Mantan Moreland/Birmingham (BIRMINGHAM!!!) Brown...

NSFW:

Seek light at once!

8. SONNY ROLLINS (with EARL COLEMAN) - Two Different Worlds (from Tour de Force)

Ny05NzE1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ny00NDg2LmpwZWc.jpeg

and back in the light we are, back where we started, but, uh...not like we were when we started.

Two different worlds?

Thanks for the compliment. I'd use it as a blurb, if I was doing anything blurbable! :g

Beyond Braith's Blue Note and Prestige records, there's the body of his own Excellence Records, much, but by no means all, of which is up on Spotify. It is quite unique, and only occasionally what you might expect. 

Great choices! If I only would have had the time to listen further, I would have guessed the Earl Coleman, for sure, and I had suspected that it was a Gagaku music track. But I was on vacation with no listening opportunity, and when I returned home I had a crazy working schedule as one of my colleagues was diagnosed with cancer, and a sub wrecked one of our cars. So it goes. Thanks for taking so much effort.

Edited by mikeweil

I'm going to go back and re-listen to some of these now, especially track 6... I know Gil Melle only by name, have never heard him but did not think he sounded anything like this! I also need more Freddie Roach in my life and gotta check out that Sonny album! Thanks for a great BFT!

You're welcome!

The Gil Melle of the 50s Blue Note & Prestige records indeed sounds nothing like what you hear here, 

The set linked to above gives you the Verve record, the full Andromeda Strain sound track, and Waterbirds, a pretty obscure record he did for Nocture that is based off of TV cues that he wrote, played in a semi-avant jazz manner.

All in all, a pretty interesting guy!

I got the Olly Wilson and William Fischer sets as well as the Melle.  All three were extremely satisfying.

The Creel Pone label specializes in historical electronic music and stuff that lives in that neighborhood. Packaging is thorough, but dictated by budget, if you know what I mean.

If I was totally new to electronic music of this vintage, this would be a GREAT place to start. Much better than collecting it piecemeal from old LPs and obscure labels and such.

I need to see if they have anything for Ilhan Mimaroglu. I've got a few things on various lables, and he is another interesting guy.

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I got the Olly Wilson and William Fischer sets as well as the Melle.  All three were extremely satisfying.

The Creel Pone label specializes in historical electronic music and stuff that lives in that neighborhood. Packaging is thorough, but dictated by budget, if you know what I mean.

If I was totally new to electronic music of this vintage, this would be a GREAT place to start. Much better than collecting it piecemeal from old LPs and obscure labels and such.

I need to see if they have anything for Ilhan Mimaroglu. I've got a few things on various lables, and he is another interesting guy.

They do! I just passed by this one and remembered his name from that collaboration w/ Freddie Hubbard that I still need to get...

https://alphastate.nyc/products/ilhan-mimaroglu-complete-finnadar-atlantic?_pos=2&_psq=ilhan&_ss=e&_v=1.0

And I'll give a listen to those 2 you mentioned. Good to know about these, thanks!