Dizzy Reece Select

Okay, I'll just share my decision not to get the Dizzy Reece's because I have all the material elsewhere as you do, and the booklet itself is just going to reprint the original liners, so nothing new really. . . I'm sitting tight with the versions I have, which are Conns and JRVGs.

Now the VeeJay sets. . . I got these; I had no original vinyl of these, but cds both domestic and imported, and the set really does sound much better, and has additional material not on the earlier cds, plus you get good booklets. . . . I think they were well worth getting.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, really yes, the sound is considerably improved. The only caveat would be for those who may have owned the original vinyl for years and years: they have remixed almost all sessions from the original three track masters and this contributes to the better sound, but it IS disorienting if you have the original mix burned in your brain.

But they really DID improve the sound; on a thread about these sets from early today Dr. J says that he was surprised at the improvement cuz he thought the Blue Moons sounded good; so was I when I got my set.

• 8 months later...

"Comin' On" is my favorite Reece session (two sessions, actually). But everything on the Select is top-drawer in my book.

I wish Reece had recorded more as a leader, on into the mid and late 60's.

Also, it might have been interesting to hear him in the same transitional period (stylistically speaking) that Donald Byrd went through with "Fancy Free", "Kofi", and "Electric Byrd" (all from 1969 and 1970).

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I purchased the Dizzy Reece select many months ago when it was a new release. I decided, tonight, to listen to the COMIN' ON session with Reece, Stanley Turrentine and Bobby Timmons.

To my surprise, the COMIN' ON disk still had the shrink wrap intact. :wacko: Jeez, I've never listened to this disk before? In conclusion, the combination of Reece and Turrentine is very good.

• 1 year later...

I purchased it around the time it first came out. If you don't already have the material, I'd say its absolutely essential....one of my favorite Mosaic Selects. I had never heard Dizzy Reece before getting that set, and I was blown away. All the music is good.

'Treasures' sounds like a serious endorsement. I'm trying to behave for now since I've made quite a number of purchases recently. It's just after reading all your glowing endorsements, you make it really difficult to for me to sit on the sidelines. Well, I'll do my best to resist the temptation for now, but will keep this high on the list for my next round of purchases. Continue to add your thoughts if you like and again thanks.

Edited by Tom 1960

'Treasures' sounds like a serious endorsement. I'm trying to behave for now since I've made quite a number of purchases recently. It's just after reading all your glowing endorsements, you make it really difficult to for me to sit on the sidelines. Well, I'll do my best to resist the temptation for now, but will keep this high on the list for my next round of purchases. Continue to add your thoughts if you like and again thanks.

I know what you mean. I thank God I managed to snag the Dizzy Reece Select during the Tower close-out sale. It's a seriously good Select, in fact I'd go so far as to say "essential."