Mall Jazz

Rabshakeh

New playlist concept: Mall Jazz. 

Exciting, energetic, ersatz, fun and slightly world music-influenced fusion-lite. 

Trying to create a playlist. Here are some examples.

What am I missing?

Rippingtons Featuring Russ Freeman – Tourist In ParadiseR-2405232-1485081437-3248.jpg.05b4db037a754244f1f42b4b7de8e347.jpg

Weather Report – Sportin' Life 

R-858195-1166286673.jpg.44b2ed70ab3ad4bdb5439cfe6ffea511.jpg

Mezzoforte - 4

R-3496341-1656777905-1162.jpg.776a436031bfc700a6a88fa72af6ec1a.jpg

For other Brits on this forum, Mall Jazz is completely different to Shopping Centre Jazz.

Edited by Rabshakeh

• 6 months later...
On 1/19/2023 at 7:58 PM, Rabshakeh said:

New playlist concept: Mall Jazz. 

Exciting, energetic, ersatz, fun and slightly world music-influenced fusion-lite. 

Is this a good thread to point out the subtle distinctions between mall jazz and Weather Channel jazz?  It really angers me when people confuse the two.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

37 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

It really angers me when people confuse the two.

Am I a culprit? If so, my deepest apologia.

38 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Is this a good thread to point out the subtle distinctions between mall jazz and Weather Channel jazz?

Go on then, we want the finest lines drawn.

39 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Is this a good thread to point out the subtle distinctions between mall jazz and Weather Channel jazz?  It really angers me when people confuse the two.

What I really want though is Sim City soundtrack keyboard jazz. A hard one to find.

Neither of these genres exist in my country. But I love when something unexpected is being played in a mall, so much in the background that it takes a connoisseur to identify the music. Around 1996 I was at a Leclerc Hypermarché in France, and me and my friend (also a Dave Grusin fan) were astonished to hear the theme from "Three Days of the Condor" in speakers 20 meters above our heads.

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Neither of these genres exist in my country. But I love when something unexpected is being played in a mall, so much in the background that it takes a connoisseur to identify the music. Around 1996 I was at a Leclerc Hypermarché in France, and me and my friend (also a Dave Grusin fan) were astonished to hear the theme from "Three Days of the Condor" in speakers 20 meters above our heads.

I love a bit of Dave Grusin. 

Le Jazz Hypermarche

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I don't think these genres exist anywhere -- aside from the minds of our fellow board-members!   

Then again, invention is an essential component of jazz.  So . . . why not !?!?  :P

Oh, I fully acknowledge the genres as such (since reading about them, ten minutes ago), they just don't play them at Swedish malls. 😄

This is off topic, but I don't know where else I could bring up this particular story.

In the early 1980s, I went to Lisbon, Portugal, together with my parents. We stayed at - now demolished - Hotel Estoril Sol, a large, then still somewhat luxurious hotel with a thousand rooms, bowling alley and an Olympic size swimming pool.

Cascais.13%20(inaugurado%2015-01-1965).1

Estoril.26%20(Hotel%20Estoril-Sol%20Pisc

The rooms were equipped with built-in radio units which played pleasant-sounding 1960/70s library-type music. This fascinated me enough to make my parents ask a clerk at the reception desk how this system worked. They brought the hotel manager, who took me to a room full of steaming hot electric equipment, where the hotel radio channel were cabled out to every part of the hotel. Wish I had asked for a tape copy of the music as well.

Edited by Daniel A

6 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Daniel, do Swedish libraries play music in the background?

No, never (except when the Stockholm University Library was closing at 9 p.m. and they put on some hideous atonal music to scare the students away). 🙂

I was referring to Library Music as a genre, also known as Production Music:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Production_music

In this case, it was of a variety that sounded more or less like "elevator music" (which of course has many different sub-types). Paging @Teasing the Korean.

18 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I wonder what all they played for that purpose!!! :excited:

Actually, it often seemed to be different music, but always very intrusive and distorted from overloading the speaker system. At one time when I was there, there was some kind of free jazz.

Haven't been at the library for 20 years, but students used to sit there all day, some of them wearing earplugs. So they played something really loud so that nobody could miss that the library was closing.

Edited by Daniel A