JSngry

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/30/2024 at 10:53 AM, Ken Dryden said:

How not to attend a bond hearing... The judge's reaction to the defendant's answer is priceless.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/michigan-judge-astonished-how-man-shows-up-virtual-hearing-driving-suspended-license-charge

The facts don't really match up though I would say that the reaction was true.

Reality as I have learned is that the gentleman had his driving privileges restored but they messed up in the required updates and when he got pulled over he came up as suspended - but again - he was supposed to be able to drive.  

5 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Reality as I have learned is that the gentleman had his driving privileges restored but they messed up in the required updates and when he got pulled over he came up as suspended - but again - he was supposed to be able to drive.  

I saw the update and didn’t add the link promptly. Mea culpa.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

The correction to that correction came out yesterday or the day before where it was disclosed that he actually never had a driver's license, only a state ID. Apparently he's never had a driver's license in any state, ever. 

10 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

The correction to that correction came out yesterday or the day before where it was disclosed that he actually never had a driver's license, only a state ID. Apparently he's never had a driver's license in any state, ever. 

seems strange in the context of specific reporting that his DL had been restored to active status but not properly conveyed to licensing records. You don't restore a State ID but I guess if that is the case then he really was reporting in to a hearing on his driving without a license case while driving his car.

16 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

seems strange in the context of specific reporting that his DL had been restored to active status but not properly conveyed to licensing records. You don't restore a State ID but I guess if that is the case then he really was reporting in to a hearing on his driving without a license case while driving his car.

I think this was Michigan, and there was definitely a snafu in their system. This catching national attention and playing out in real time is wild. 

19 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

I think this was Michigan, and there was definitely a snafu in their system. This catching national attention and playing out in real time is wild. 

but i can't understand restoration of a state ID. If he was never licensed he couldn't have it restored so that he can drive again.  The intermediate reporting made it sound like a typical beaurocatic (I hate spelling that word) screw up but if the case before him was 'driving without a license' it was totally understandable how the judge reacted.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

but i can't understand restoration of a state ID. If he was never licensed he couldn't have it restored so that he can drive again.  The intermediate reporting made it sound like a typical beaurocatic (I hate spelling that word) screw up but if the case before him was 'driving without a license' it was totally understandable how the judge reacted.

I'm not 100% sure of the details but I think it was a DWLR charge, which went through the hearing by mistake. When in actuality he didn't have a DL to begin with. My guess is their state DMV system has...issues.