Dorothy Ashby, With Strings Attached, 1957 - 1965

cayetano

55 minutes ago, cayetano said:

Prestige "Hip harp" original pressing on discogs:

Median:€321.95

Highest:€1,100.00

Prestige "In A Minor Groove" CD, combining both her Prestige albums goes for under $15, if you don't have to have it on vinyl.

2 hours ago, felser said:

Prestige "In A Minor Groove" CD, combining both her Prestige albums goes for under $15, if you don't have to have it on vinyl.

I have it. Picked it up after I purchased The Rubaiyat of Dorothy Ashby on vinyl from VMP. One of my favorite records. 

42 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

It would be hipper if it included all the Argo LPs. 

There is, btw, a Fresh Sound box that has more.

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/dorothy-ashby-albums/5708-the-jazz-harpist-5-lps-on-3-cds.html

The box seems like a strange mish mash of labels, some Concord (Prestige and Jazzland), Rhino (Atlantic) and UMG (Argo).  I can only think they didn’t include more Argo/Cadet because some of those records are coming out from other companies, not to mention it would increase the cost. For example Verve and Third Man Records are re-issuing the Rubaiyat and Afro Harping is going to be included in a Cadet box set from VMP. 

Edited by Brad

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

It would be hipper if it included all the Argo LPs. 

There is, btw, a Fresh Sound box that has more.

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/dorothy-ashby-albums/5708-the-jazz-harpist-5-lps-on-3-cds.html

The FS has all of 'Soft Winds', where the 2 disc Avid has 5 of the 11"Soft Winds' tracks.  But 'Soft Winds' is a very week album compared to the other four albums included in both sets, and the six very short missing songs are not a great loss

The label did an excellent job of Mingus 'AModern Symposium...', so I will certainly check this out.

No shipping cost in the UK so it's about Tone Poet cost point for me. I'd like to have all this music in good SQ as some of the CD compilations I've streamed aren't the best.

• 3 months later...