Flying on the Ground is RIGHT!

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

If everything is a hook, then where is the hook? 

Image result for triple treble hooks

Song is pretty darn hooky, Neil just didn't know when to stop sometimes (see Broken Arrow).  Kind of reminds me of some tackle I once saw snagged on a rock on the upper Rouge River in a stretch where anything more than one single hook was totally illegal.  Whatever you think of the fishing regs, I don't think we need rules like that for songs.

Richie Furay doesn't get enough credit for his contributions to this band, IMO. I've no doubt Neil could have sung this, but his lack of confidence in his vocal abilities (at this point in his career) gives Furay the freedom to does his interpretive thing. 

Another case in point this tune, which I put on BFT a ways back:

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Richie Furay doesn't get enough credit for his contributions to this band, IMO. I've no doubt Neil could have sung this, but his lack of confidence in his vocal abilities (at this point in his career) gives Furay the freedom to does his interpretive thing.

Totally agree.  To me, Furay was the best singer in the group, though his writing wasn't up to Young or Stills (nothing to be ashamed of).  Love the group and that cut.  "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" is another where Furay's vocal enhanced a great song by Young.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

It's not about rules, it's about the  functionality of the architecture. 

I was much happier that Alexa played this song rather than, as she did previously, "Rock N Roll Woman," an incredibly stupid song musically and lyrically, and one which a cat would not like, as I discussed very eloquently in this thread:  

22 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Image result for triple treble hooks

Song is pretty darn hooky, Neil just didn't know when to stop sometimes (see Broken Arrow).  Kind of reminds me of some tackle I once saw snagged on a rock on the upper Rouge River in a stretch where anything more than one single hook was totally illegal.  Whatever you think of the fishing regs, I don't think we need rules like that for songs.

Though I have not idea what the title means or who is that group, my attention was taken to that lure with three triple hooks. As it seems that you are a fisherman too, this kind of setting of three triple hooks is really a downer. Not only that it hurts the fish unnessesarly and you might have also all them free hooks in the landing net and it takes time to get them out, as more hooks you have as more fish you loose. That lure is to small so many hooks, I can understand it for big fish with XXL lures on lower waters, but not on an upper section of a River where there might be trouts. Here in Austria, for trout rivers we have "Fly Only" with barbless single hook.....

59 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Though I have not idea what the title means or who is that group, my attention was taken to that lure with three triple hooks. As it seems that you are a fisherman too, this kind of setting of three triple hooks is really a downer. Not only that it hurts the fish unnessesarly and you might have also all them free hooks in the landing net and it takes time to get them out, as more hooks you have as more fish you loose. That lure is to small so many hooks, I can understand it for big fish with XXL lures on lower waters, but not on an upper section of a River where there might be trouts. Here in Austria, for trout rivers we have "Fly Only" with barbless single hook.....

I used to fish with my dad when I was young, but that wasn't really about fishing per se as much as it was about having something to do together and an excuse to drive all over the place.  I also love attenuated analogies and free association.  and the pic isn't exactly like the illegal rig I saw snagged on a rock on the upper rouge (a stream in Southern Oregon which is or at least was a very fine trout and salmon stream with strict tackle and catch limits).  What I was trying to say about that particular Buffalo Springfield tune is that it's overabundance of hooks is charmingly naive, that a more mature songwriting wouldn't throw it all in at once and go overboard like that but that a youngster making his first big time record would.  The too many hooks lure is sort of dysfunctionally over the top in a similar way.  And things that you do and see and hear when you're young can stick with you in a way that goes beyond how good they really were.

10 hours ago, danasgoodstuff said:

it's overabundance of hooks is charmingly naive, that a more mature songwriting wouldn't throw it all in at once and go overboard like that but that a youngster making his first big time record would.  The too many hooks lure is sort of dysfunctionally over the top in a similar way.  And things that you do and see and hear when you're young can stick with you in a way that goes beyond how good they really were.

Charmingly is the key word for me.  I am much more enamored of the 60's "excess" (L.A., S.F., London, and other locales) than I am into the "mature" music of the 70's.  Give me this over any Jackson Browne album or whatever.  

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

But give me a mature/maturing Joni Mitchell over any of it. Style AND substance, thank you. 

Because Joni largely vaulted over the stuck in sophmoricism of most Classic Rock and neo-folkies.  I too prefer her to most of her circle or contemporaries, and so did David Crosby.  Although she has her own daft moments too.  But young Neil being young when he actually was is fine, it's the 15 year olds with 50 years experience (on stage and in the audience) who bug me.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

But give me a mature/maturing Joni Mitchell over any of it. Style AND substance, thank you. 

Yet my two favorite albums by her are 'Clouds' (and they should have included "Urge for Going") and 'Ladies of the Canyon'. 

I have a hard time listening to her early stuff. In fact, I don't. I won't.

I knew a drummer who was totally into it, and I had to stop playing with the guy because he never grew into an adult emotional state. It was always SO SENSITIVE with him, and I was like, ok dude, how old are you now? Over 30, right? Grow up some, ok?

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I have a hard time listening to her early stuff. In fact, I don't. I won't.

I knew a drummer who was totally into it, and I had to stop playing with the guy because he never grew into an adult emotional state. It was always SO SENSITIVE with him, and I was like, ok dude, how old are you now? Over 30, right? Grow up some, ok?

College roommate music, or loner in high school dreaming about going to college.  Over sensitive is easier to deal with than belligerence as a cover for insecurity.  But being a famous musician certainly helped some avoid growing up.  And where do you draw the line on 'early Joni'?

On 4/30/2023 at 1:13 AM, Gheorghe said:

Hungry man's lure because ain't nothing getting tossed back after being caught on that bad boy. And you're guaranteed to hook yourself a time or two. 

• 3 weeks later...