Nimbus Collective - Live at Lotusland

Pim

I have the CD version and am not playing it as much as I should - but that's true for most of my records... It's not my favorite among those non-Tapscott Californian Nimbus West albums from the 80s (that would be Journey into Nigritia) but it sure is very very goodd... I would it think it's very much up your alley... it's also on spotify

90% off-topic, but since I was just looking through Nate Morgan's discogs credits: Just noticed he has a credit for "front cover concept" on this famous album cover:

MC00MzYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Some prior positive and somewhat glowing discussion of this as a CD release in this Nimbus thread (I know, because I was the one who mentioned it!)…

I was a bit effusive, but a I think couple people agreed with me, so there’s that too. :)

To summarize, it’s the vibes player that really impressed the hell out of me on this.  The band is good too, but the quality of the vibes playing is what makes the whole thing really memorable (imho).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I was in a record store in West London a few months ago, doing my own effusing over Rickey Kelly to the guy behind the counter, who was drily listening what I had to say as if it was news to him.

Turns out it was Harv from Outernational, who was personally responsible for reissuing half of this stuff. I’m not sure why he let me rabbit on, but perhaps he knew better than to interrupt a Rickey Kelly fan during a monologue.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:52 PM, Niko said:

90% off-topic, but since I was just looking through Nate Morgan's discogs credits: Just noticed he has a credit for "front cover concept" on this famous album cover:

MC00MzYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

It is not the worst Swamp Dogg front cover concept.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, Pim said:

Any thoughts on this one? There’s a 3LP reissue upcoming released by Pure Pleasure.

https://propermusic.com/products/nimbuscollective-liveinlotusland

Gosh. £79.

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I was in a record store in West London a few months ago, doing my own effusing over Rickey Kelly to the guy behind the counter, who was drily listening what I had to say as if it was news to him.

Turns out it was Harv from Outernational, who was personally responsible for reissuing half of this stuff. I’m not sure why he let me rabbit on, but perhaps he knew better than to interrupt a Rickey Kelly fan during a monologue.

Did you happen to get onto the subject of the accusations levelled at him by current Nimbus West owner with regards to his payment for the reissues? I'm intrigued to hear his side of the story

Bottom of this page if anyone hasn't already seen what I refer to

https://www.nimbuswestrecords.com/

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Did you happen to get onto the subject of the accusations levelled at him by current Nimbus West owner with regards to his payment for the reissues? I'm intrigued to hear his side of the story

Bottom of this page if anyone hasn't already seen what I refer to

https://www.nimbuswestrecords.com/

I did not know any of this. Could be true but seems a little odd. Why would the contract require a witness and notarisation? 

Who is the current owner?

No I didn't discuss this with Herv, not only because I didn't know there was a dispute but also because he is not a very chatty man. Laconic irony and appraising glare.

53 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I did not know any of this. Could be true but seems a little odd. Why would the contract require a witness and notarisation? 

Who is the current owner?

No I didn't discuss this with Herv, not only because I didn't know there was a dispute but also because he is not a very chatty man. Laconic irony and appraising glare.

Current owner is son of Tom Albach who set up the label

I had a lovely chat with Harv about Outernational about 4 years ago in the KX HJ. He told me that Tom Albach had been happy to let him reissue what he did but I guess he would say that wouldn't he. I have sketchy memories of some details of the deal he described to me but they're too sketchy to share in.public.

He was chatty then, maybe 4 years working in HJ have taken their toll...

29 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

He was chatty then, maybe 4 years working in HJ have taken their toll...

It might have been my blank eyed, spittle-flecked Rickey Kelly cultism that scared him off. I would have kept my distance too.

40 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Current owner is son of Tom Albach who set up the label

Who is the guy who wrote the bit at the end, then?

18 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It might have been my blank eyed, spittle-flecked Rickey Kelly cultism that scared him off. I would have kept my distance too.

Who is the guy who wrote the bit at the end, then?

The current owner I think, protesting against Outernational's treatment of his father. That's what I assumed

Where do I hear more Rickey Kelly apart from his leader date, which I have, and the album this thread is about? Anyone inducing spittle flecked enthusiasts is worth tracking down more of...

12 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

The current owner I think, protesting against Outernational's treatment of his father. That's what I assumed

Where do I hear more Rickey Kelly apart from his leader date, which I have, and the album this thread is about? Anyone inducing spittle flecked enthusiasts is worth tracking down more of...

I think there was more discussion here: 

I have a couple of albums on which he appears.

Dadisi Komolafe, Hassan's Walk and Gary Bias, East 101.

I bought the CDs for $9.99 apiece from Dusty Groove, who for a long time stocked a lot of Nimbus West releases. Not sure they still do.

Bandcamp has a pretty big Nimbus West page, you can DL, research and hear some samples there.

7 minutes ago, Niko said:

indeed, here, the place where Matt comes in a few paragraphs from the end makes it clearer... Apparently Matt has by now moved away from his struct vinyl policy...

Thanks for clarifying Niko. Sorry if I misled with my misattribution to Albach Jr.

That's a fascinating article with some very tasty future releases mentioned 

On 7/3/2023 at 8:00 AM, Pim said:

Any thoughts on this one?

Also worth mentioning, the entire thing is on YouTube as a playlist…

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nrSZe5KGQSSykMdCRkJ8ajMI-4MwxRSmE

Here’s just the first track (embedded in this thread), but the whole thing is accessible at the link above.

On 7/5/2023 at 3:09 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Also worth mentioning, the entire thing is on YouTube as a playlist…

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nrSZe5KGQSSykMdCRkJ8ajMI-4MwxRSmE

Here’s just the first track (embedded in this thread), but the whole thing is accessible at the link above.

Thanks. I listened to the whole thing on Spotify and have mixed feelings that range from oh my god this is good to this sounds like the guys were having a nice little jam session. Still not sure what to think about the whole thing. Will listen some more the coming weeks. 

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Thanks. I listened to the whole thing on Spotify and have mixed feelings that range from oh my god this is good to this sounds like the guys were having a nice little jam session. Still not sure what to think about the whole thing. Will listen some more the coming weeks. 

Cheaper CD options on Discogs

I have a lot of Nimbus West CDs, not just Horace Tapscott but a variety of other artists (I particularly like Nate Morgan).

As the collection got larger, I decided not to go the completist route on the non-Tapscotts because I was accumulating multiple recordings (though varying performances) of many tunes.

This release has been oop for quite a while, so I never considered it before. But looking at the track list, I'll pass (even if it's released on CD) because most of the selections are already familiar.

Edited by T.D.