Morgan/Shorter and Chambers/Kelly Vee Jays

finally got mine:

Shorter/Morgan: #1853

Chambers/Kelly: #1874

Damn. How many days was it, from the time you placed your order with Mosaic, till you received the goods?

What do you think of the sound quality of the Vee Jay sets?

Answers, (for me):

Four days, and

Excellent. They sound great to me, but I'm not the most audiophile kid on the block.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started listening to the Chambers "Go" sessions - incredible stuff! I really like it! They're so good, Kelly-Chambers-Cobb, and Adderley is bursting with ideas and sound! Hubbard at that stage of his career (and as a sideman) could seldom do a wrong thing, I guess.

Sound is great, as far as my lousy ears are able to tell.

ubu

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still only the first two CDs from the Kelly/Chambers, but HELLYEAH! The music SOUNDS beautiful, and the playing is great!

The album with Lateef is a treat! I have forgotten about Lateef being on this set, as I haven't looked at the discography for a long time before buying it, and his arrangements are a great surprise! Good playing, more Tommy Turrentine (Blumenthal's comments seem accurate: T.T. is great in this "modal" context), more of Fuller's big sound, and then Lateef himself... Chambers is all front and central, too, and I like that! I love his playing ever since I got "Whims of Chambers" (which, I remember, was in Athens - somewhere between Omonia and Syntagma, in October 1998, back in the days when my jazz addiction had already developped, but my collection was only some dozens of discs... Got the Turrentine Up At Minton's there, too...)

ubu

At least I had to willpower to pass up the Kelly/Chambers set.  Hopefully I won't regret it, too much.   -_-

I think you will... :wacko:^_^

I'm sure you're right, my friend. <_<;)

Ya know, I've been really kickin' myself for not picking up the Chamber/Kelly set. DAMN THE EXPENSE!!! And it was because I was under the mistaken impression that this was mostly piano trio sessions. (Of which I've got too many.) Boy was I wrong!!! :blink::blink::wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

The Morgan/Shorter set seems to have arbitrarily been cut-off at # 1904 (the highest # anyone has posted so far on the Org JF board). You'd think Mosaic would be getting them in batches of 500 and their supply would've expired at # 2,000. Maybe Universal seized the remaining 95 sets?

(Or Dusty Groove, the bastards!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally made it through some more discs of the Chambers/Kelly: "Kelly Great!" is just that! WOW! Shorter is terrific! What a great recording debut this is, wow! Morgan is good, as well, as are all the others, and Philly Joe was so hip!

The "Fantastic Frank Strozier" sessions are a delight, as well. Booker Little rates high among my favourite trumpet players, and he delivers some good and great solos on these two dates. Strozier himself is a very good alto player, as well, with a very nice sound of his own. Never heard this one before (always kept my fingers away from the single reissue waiting until I have this box), and it really is great!

ubu

• 4 years later...

Bumping this up... I've played some of these discs over the weekend, starting with the two Chambers albums, Shorter's first, "Kelly Great", and also the the first to Lee Morgan albums. These two sets together really form a great body of work! Besides the four co-leaders, there's some mighty fine Clifford Jordan on the Morgan sessions! And as I said before, Adderley plays very, very fine on the first Chambers album! Wonderful music, and I'm looking forward to hearing the "Young Lions" album and the remaining Shorter dates next!

Edited by king ubu

I do kinda wish I had these 2 but it was all the alternates that put me off. I have a few of the albums from them and they are a lot better than I thought, especially the "Fantastic Frank Strozier" album.

It's a pity they didn't find a way to get the Yusef Lateef album "Contemplation" on to one of the boxes somewhere as it's actually quite good.

Contemplation AMG review.

years ago I managed to get all the Lee Morgan stuff on two Vee-Jay Discs (Expoobident and Here's Lee Morgan)... published by Blue Moon 1997... as I'm not a big Wayne Shorter fan... I skipped this Mosaic...

I think the Vee-Jay Wayne Shorter albums are really great too. Give them a chance, some time. You may be surprised.

Lots of repeat listening to 'The Fantastic Frank Strozier' session on the Chambers/Kelly set recently. Essential Booker Little - and the alternate takes are no problem for me. Indeed, they are a bonus (any additional Booker Little solo on disk is to be welcomed !)