Morgan/Shorter and Chambers/Kelly Vee Jays

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told by Mosaic that their license for these Vee Jay sets was with Rhino, who had a deal with the holders of the Vee Jay masters. Apparently, this agreement between Rhino & Vee Jay was suddenly terminated.

Thanks, Kevin.

Any idea what the cause for this sudden terminations was?

Was this the first time that Mosaic has done a "partnership" deal like this? I mean, I know the Miles vinyl-only sets were done in collaboration w/Sony, but that's not quite the same thing. I don't recall ever seeing another label's logo actually on the sets like it is with these.

I don't recall ever seeing another label's logo actually on the sets like it is with these.

I believe the Jacquet set also had other labels' logos on at least one of the discs.

Right! The stuff on disc four was from RCA and I also remember there being some special logo kind of thing on that disc (as opposed to just the usual "Sony Special Products" or whoever being mentioned).

What was the deal between Rhino & Mosaic?

I was told by Mosaic that their license for these Vee Jay sets was with Rhino, who had a deal with the holders of the Vee Jay masters. Apparently, this agreement between Rhino & Vee Jay was suddenly terminated. Since Mosaic's deal was with Rhino and Rhino no longer had the rights, Mosaic had to stop selling the sets.

Later,

Kevin

That just plain sucks. :(

What was the deal between Rhino & Mosaic?

I was told by Mosaic that their license for these Vee Jay sets was with Rhino, who had a deal with the holders of the Vee Jay masters. Apparently, this agreement between Rhino & Vee Jay was suddenly terminated. Since Mosaic's deal was with Rhino and Rhino no longer had the rights, Mosaic had to stop selling the sets.

Later,

Kevin

That just plain sucks. :(

Sucks big time! Money is what kills so much! The only jazz store here will be closed down end of the week, the big ones almost annihilating their jazz sections... Jazz just doesn't sell enough... and those just doing it for the love of it don't seem to succeed, really.

ubu

The Stuff Smith set was also victim to sudden change in the license situation. It really is frustrating and must be very disheartening for Mosaic.

I don't think that's entirely true... I believe the Smith set atually did time out on its contract. I guess with most sets, Mosaic is able to negotiate another pressing or an extension but with the Smith set, UMG just said "No". That was it... contract over. Unfortunately, when UMG told Mosaic this, they were at a point of running out and were just about to do another pressing. In fact, I believe they found out that the contract was done when the pressing facility said sorry, no more CDs. By then, Mosaic basically had no sets left to sell.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

finally got mine:

Shorter/Morgan: #1853

Chambers/Kelly: #1874

that's the cool part of it...

... now the less cool:

Shipping (Surface): $18

Handling Fee Swiss Postal Services: $15

Custom Tax: $14

Sucks! Had to fax the customs a copy of the yellow invoice, before they finally sent the box my way! :angry:

First time this has happened with a Mosaic package.

ubu

finally got mine:

Damn. How many days was it, from the time you placed your order with Mosaic, till you received the goods?

What do you think of the sound quality of the Vee Jay sets?

finally got mine:

Damn. How many days was it, from the time you placed your order with Mosaic, till you received the goods?

What do you think of the sound quality of the Vee Jay sets?

Took pretty long, but if those fellas at the swiss border wouldn't have been suspicious, I'd have gotten the package a week ago.

No time to listen so far. Start tomorrow!

ubu :excited: