Morgan/Shorter and Chambers/Kelly Vee Jays

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when I spoke to mosaic this past friday, they were down to less than 60 sets for each veejay. the week before the count was around 100 each. want to gamble on which day next week they will be gone? oh yeah, monday is a holiday.

I placed my order this morning; Mosaic is now down to around 30-35 copies of each set. I bet that these sets will be gone by Monday June 7th at the very latest.

I caved yesterday -- ordered the Morgan/Shorter on the internet. Got a confirmation email just a few minutes ago. Had to pass on the Kelly/Chambers; I really want the new Tal Farlow when it comes out.

Oh yeah, I also want that JJ Johnson set. :wacko:

This time, I think I'll go with REASON #28: That darn Mosaic order button is so easy to press. (thanks, LAL!)

SS1's post above made me cave in! I called 2 minutes ago and was told they had a couple left so I ordered the Morgan/Shorter. They said I should have it by the end of the week.

I can now place my Blue Moon copies of Introducing & Second Genesis into my "For Sale" pile.

At least I had to willpower to pass up the Kelly/Chambers set. Hopefully I won't regret it, too much. -_-

Guest Chaney

When you compare how long the T/K/M and New Orleans Jazz Mosaics hung in Last Chance, it's very surprising how fast the Vee Jay Mosaics went to OOP.  Were the Vee Jays in Last Chance for a month? Maybe less?  :huh:

With Mosaic caught by surprise, maybe the VeeJay sets were set to time out at midnight, May 31?

With Mosaic caught by surprise, maybe the VeeJay sets were set to time out at midnight, May 31?

This is an interesting thought that is quite plausible. I hadn't considered it.

It's possible, but if it's that's the case, it would mean that Mosaic still has some sets left in the warehouse. What ae they going to do with them - destroy them? I don't think so. My understanding is that the time out basically puts a limit on the pressing date, ie. no more sets can be made past a particular date. In the case, of the Vee-Jays, that date came a couple of months ago, much to eveyone's (including Mosaic's) surprise. But they were allowed to sell the sets they still had on hand as of that date. Glad I got one of them.

My understanding is that the time out basically puts a limit on the pressing date, ie. no more sets can be made past a particular date. In the case, of the Vee-Jays, that date came a couple of months ago, much to eveyone's (including Mosaic's) surprise. But they were allowed to sell the sets they still had on hand as of that date.

I, too, believe this explanation to be more realistic and practical. It would make no sense for Mosaic to have manufactured sets that cannot be sold. Still, I'm surprised how fast Mosaic was able to sell the remaining Vee Jay sets. I never believed the Vee Jays would prove so popular in light of all the alternate takes.

Still, I'm surprised how fast Mosaic was able to sell the remaining Vee Jay sets. I never believed the Vee Jays would prove so popular in light of all the alternate takes.

Well, I'm a bit surprised, too, but to call them "popular" is stretching it a bit. My Kelly/Chambers, ordeed 2 weeks ago is #1,795 of 5,000. At most they sold 1,850.

Someone posted that Mosaic had expected to do one more pressing even after the Vee-Jays passed into the "running low" category, but then were unexpectedly told "no." So my guess is that they just didn't have that many sets on hand when the word came down.