Morgan/Shorter and Chambers/Kelly Vee Jays

I believe if that they overproduce but their license before they can sell all those copies, they'd have to destroy them. BTW, the number of the set doesn't really mean that much since they don't necessarily go in order.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still, I'm surprised how fast Mosaic was able to sell the remaining Vee Jay sets. I never believed the Vee Jays would prove so popular in light of all the alternate takes.

Well, I'm a bit surprised, too, but to call them "popular" is stretching it a bit. My Kelly/Chambers, ordeed 2 weeks ago is #1,795 of 5,000. At most they sold 1,850.

I do agree that, overall, these sets proved to be not so popular. I mean, for as outstanding as these sets are, I'm not sure either set will break the 2000 units mark. I've forgotten which set numbers people have been receiving from Mosaic. Maybe the sets did sell past 2000 units each?

When the sets went to Last Chance, however, they seemed to become very popular amongst the jazz fanatics. I'm guessing/hoping that the jazz discusson boards sold many of the sets on behalf of Mosaic. I wouldn't have purchased my sets had it not been for the Organissimo board.

I'm still surprised how fast the Vee Jay sets sold when compared to the T/K/M and New Orleans sets, considering how long each of the four sets was available in Last Chance. It seems like the T/K/M was in Last Chance for a couple of months (or more). The New Orleans box is still in Last Chance as of today.

I believe if that they overproduce but their license before they can sell all those copies, they'd have to destroy them. BTW, the number of the set doesn't really mean that much since they don't necessarily go in order.

Oh, just the thought of a Mosaic set being destroyed cuts me to the heart. I know it's just silicon, plastic, cardboard and paper, but still! I believe that the numbers do matter when a set comes to the end of the run. The Vee-Jays must have both topped out under 2,000. Again, I'm guessing 1,850. Hopefuly, someone who ordered in the last couple of days will post their number.

I'd be very surprised if these went above 2000 each.

I have to admit that the idea that these are gonna end up so "limited" did help to push me over the edge. These were always "maybe" sets for me since I have some of the material already and I don't really care for all the alt. takes either (though if you look at the list carefully, there really aren't *that* many alternates, especially on the Chambers/Kelly box). But now that I have them I can proclaim just how fine they are. I'm glad I succumbed to "peer presure" (and the benefits of credit) and bought them... B)

Members of this BB should be given discounts for helping Mosaic speed up sales of sets on Running Low/Last Chance. :rolleyes:

I've often wondered what if anything might happen if everyone from this board who ordered, somehow on the (online) order form indicated that they ordered because of a discussion on Organissimo.

There is a place on the online order form for special instructions. We could easily put www.organissimo.org/forum in that box.

Members of this BB should be given discounts for helping Mosaic speed up sales of sets on Running Low/Last Chance.  :rolleyes:

I've noticed that recordings that get discussed here, such as the AOTW, often show up on the "Hot Seller" list at CDUniverse. I think people often read a thread about a recording and run right over to wherever they order from to purchase it (I know I've done that many times- at both CDUniverse and Mosaic). For example, I'll bet Mosaic had a recent spike in sales of the Hodges set, much due to discussions here. I'll also bet a lot of people have been ordering Kenny Wheeler's MFLASE.

I do know that being here and learning about recordings of which I was unaware or unsure has led me to make more informed purchases. My good-to-bad ratio has improved dramtically. :)

Holy Shit!!!! I thought these things were going OOP at the end of the year? I described my early purchase of them last month as an overreaction; I need to find that post and edit it, changing that to "a stroke of brilliance".

You know, I always knew I was going to get the Morgan/Shorter set; I've been avoiding picking up the VeeJay discs because of this set. But the Chambers/Kelly set is an amazingly pleasant surprise! Thank goodness for panic. I mean astute purchase decisions...

Dang it, guys, cut it out!!! It's OK to keep singing the praises of the Morgan/Shorter, but I'd really like to hear how AWFUL the Kelly/Chambers set is, and how disappointed you were with that set!

(guess which one I DIDN'T order!)

sad-smiley-002.gif

It REALLY sucks. I'm actually pissed off that I bought it! (Feel better?) ;)

Dang it, guys, cut it out!!! It's OK to keep singing the praises of the Morgan/Shorter, but I'd really like to hear how AWFUL the Kelly/Chambers set is, and how disappointed you were with that set!

sad-smiley-002.gif

It REALLY sucks. I'm actually pissed off that I bought it! (Feel better?) ;)

Yes, because now I know you'll sell it to me, CHEAP!!! ;)

:g

MD202 #1892 & MD205 #1917 appeared on my porch this morning.

I knew I shouldn't have been surfing the web on Memorial Day.

I have a strange mixture of happiness, pride and guilt...

I'm currently listening to a tasty Wynton Kelly solo on disc 1, track 2...

MD202 #1891 just arrived. "A strange mixture of happiness, pride and guilt" describes it perfectly.

On second thought, my strange mixture also includes regret -- I didn't order MD205. Probably not a bad thing, as I was meeting with a HVAC salesman when it arrived.

I could buy a whole bunch of Mosaics for the cost of a new furnace and air conditioner. :(

sad-smiley-002.gif

Oops...what I meant to say is, what a disappointment! This one sucks so badly I can't pry the discs out of the player. I'd sell mine to you in a heartbeat, but I'm using the box to level out the dining room table with the short leg... :w

sad-smiley-002.gif

Oops...what I meant to say is, what a disappointment! This one sucks so badly I can't pry the discs out of the player. I'd sell mine to you in a heartbeat, but I'm using the box to level out the dining room table with the short leg... :w

I was thinking about using my box to paper train the dog ;)

Well, I miseed the Kelly/Chambers. I don't feel too badly about it, though...as I just couldn't afford the M.F.. I also have most of the music (minus the alt. takes) and will be getting the Strozier date on cd (I have it on cassette :P ). Congrats to those who pulled the trigger. I'm sure it's a nice box.

If I'd been in your shoes, doubleM, I'd have skipped it as well, but since I had none of it, I was kind of forced to...yeah, that's it, I had to do it! I'm sure my wife, Morgan Fairchild, will understand completely! Yeah!

Edited by Jazzmoose

What kills me is how someone from Corporate, which acquired the rights to VeeJay, reneges on a pre-existing deal with Rhino and Mosaic -- at a point where about 1,500 sets each had already been sold. C'mon, you greedy MFs, we're not talking about profitable, runaway bestsellers! The original deal was for a total limit of 5,000 each. In April, we started hearing about both sets ceasing at the end of 2004. Then, on May 31, exactly 6 months into 2004 -- the plug gets pulled.

No more will be sold, period. What a cut-throat business!

My thanks to Michael, Malcolm, et al, for creating admirable 'ne plus ultra' sets on Kelly/Chambers and Morgan/Shorter. They will NEVER be surpassed in quality by whomever gets the rights to the VeeJay masters.

What was the deal between Rhino & Mosaic?

I was told by Mosaic that their license for these Vee Jay sets was with Rhino, who had a deal with the holders of the Vee Jay masters. Apparently, this agreement between Rhino & Vee Jay was suddenly terminated. Since Mosaic's deal was with Rhino and Rhino no longer had the rights, Mosaic had to stop selling the sets.

Later,

Kevin

I was told by Mosaic that their license for these Vee Jay sets was with Rhino, who had a deal with the holders of the Vee Jay masters. Apparently, this agreement between Rhino & Vee Jay was suddenly terminated. Since Mosaic's deal was with Rhino and Rhino no longer had the rights, Mosaic had to stop selling the sets.

Thanks for the information, Kevin. The Mosaic Vee Jay disks do say 'Rhino' on them.

The limit placed on the Vee Jay Mosaic sets is all the greater reason that I'm glad I have my copy of the Vee Jay material on a Mosaic disk. Thanks, Mosaic.