The Modern Jazz Society Presents A Concert Of Contemporary Music (Norgran, 1956)

Teasing the Korean

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I remember hearing it once, finding it interesting, and then never bothering with it again.

But at least that one time was interesting? 

Thanks.  It has been sitting in the massive "to be cleaned" section forever.  That's changing tomorrow.  I'll report back.

Aaron Sachs was on that album, so I asked him about it. He said he was sitting there practicing Bach on the flute, and everyone else was getting high or something on the break. Then John Lewis asked him what he was doing, and he told him. John Lewis thought about it for a second and said, "Yeah, maybe I should try that some time!", as if it never occurred to him before...

Amazing ... I just checked and noticed I actually own a Verve original of this very LP (MG V 8131). Don't remember where and when I bought it but I must have bought it not only because it was very affordable (vinyl is fine and shiny but cover has pretty bad water staining) but also for Stan Getz, above all, and in fact everyone EXCEPT John Lewis. ;)

Will put it on my "spin next" stack now.

So thanks for bringing this up, TTK!

But this ...

"Aaron Sachs was on that album, so I asked him about it. He said he was sitting there practicing Bach on the flute, and everyone else was getting high or something on the break. Then John Lewis asked him what he was doing, and he told him. John Lewis thought about it for a second and said, "Yeah, maybe I should try that some time!", as if it never occurred to him before..."

... OUCH! :blink:

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I purchased the LP of this music in the 1950's. Disposed of the LP when I picked up the CD (with 3 extra tracks) in 1999.

According to Gunther Schuller, this is the first recording of "Third Stream Music". It was Schuller and John Lewis who are regarded as the initiators of "Third Stream Music".

Just Listened to my CD of this music after not playing it for quite a few years.  Particularly impressive, to me, were the wonderful solos(on some of the tracks) by Lucky Thompson.

It seems that the arrangements of the music on the album have never been performed again.

It was a pleasure  for me to listen to this album after a number of years. 

My impressions after a first re-listen (by one who has never found much in Third Stream as I still consider it a dead end of in the long run incompatible genres if your preference is to see the full vitality and swing of jazz preserved, even in its coolest forms):
It's an interesting exercise but the horn men (as opposed to woodwinds) really make the difference and bring it off. (And yes, Lucky Thompson is impressive in this setting. And Little David's Fugue is nice.) These soloists may well have triggered my buying decision: "Let's give it a shot and see what John Lewis does if he has to accommodate jazz horns" ;)
Otherwise I find some of the classical/third-streamish sections a bit lengthy (though if you take them as somewhat special mood pieces ... ;)).
And the "Swenglish" Midsömmer title is and remains silly (or should I say inept, particularly for an erudite composer?) if the composer wants to convey that "Swedish holiday" feeling as per the liner notes. It's either "midsommar" (Swedish) or "midsummer".

Edited by Big Beat Steve

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

As for the title of "Midsommer", what you said  seems to me, both much too picky and actually "who cares".

I know and I understand.
But as always - if you do it, why not do it right? BTW, according to the jacket - and yes, contrary to contemporary reviews - the title IS "Midsömmer", as if Lewis figured an "umlaut" makes it look more "foreign". Why, I wonder ... But I realize this picky criticism comes from a non-Anglosaxon angle. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve