Miles Davis - Paris 1957 (ORT)

John L

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Miles played with Urtreger’s quartet a handful of times, mostly in France, but at least once in the Netherlands too. These are just the dates for which recorded excerpts exist (perhaps there were one or two other appearances? — couldn't be many, given the short window of possible dates).

November 30, 1957 Olympia Theatre - Paris, France René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 1957 Unknown venue - Unknown city, France René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 4-5, 1957 Le Poste Parisien Studio - Paris, France René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 7, 1957 Buttes Chaumont Studio - Paris, France René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 8, 1957 Concertgebouw - Amsterdam, The Netherlands René Urtreger Quartet with Miles Davis
December 18, 1957 Beethovensaal - Stuttgart, Germany Erwin Lehn Orchestra 

Then less than two weeks later, he also appeared in Stuttgart with the Erwin Lehn Orchestra (big band) — and that’s included that in my cut-n-past above.

This is all from Peter Losin’s wonderful site (select the 1950’s from the drop-down list at the link below to see the entire decade, with links to each session/live-entry).

http://www.plosin.com/milesAhead/Sessions.aspx

NOTE: The blue color of the links didn’t come over, but that grid right above does have clickable URL’s for each live date — the underlined locations in the second column.

Just had a look at the Dutch newspapers from back then... no further concerts in the Netherlands at that time it seems

On 9/20/2023 at 9:10 PM, jazzbo said:

About 10 days I'd say. For some items they have an American warehouse.

Which is on the West Coast - an advantage for some, theoretically. My order of the Philly Joe and Al Grey/Billy Mitchell took a bit longer than I expected and was from the US warehouse.  Closer to two weeks.

(And I really wish I had known of this release at the time as I would have definitely gone for it with the other two.)

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how Miles was in those years, where he still sometimes had to play with pick up local rhythm sections......
Somehow I have the feeling that it must have been astonishing easy and comfortable. If you could play and understood his music , it might be beautiful gigs.....
It would be interesting what surviving musicians who played with him under such surroundings would tell, if there still are some alive. 

Like that Robert Reisner book about Bird, where a lot of people who played with him on few occasions said that he was very articulate and nice and helpful.....