Hasaan Ibn Ali - Reaching For The Stars: Trios / Duos / Solos

mjzee

Release date November 10:

71dHGEfCl4L._SL1200_.jpg

• 11 previously unissued tracks from the rediscovered, legendary Hasaan Ibn Ali • Available on CD, Digital, and double-LP • Packaging includes new essay from pianist, composer & writer, Ethan Iverson The Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan arrived in early 1965, and instantly became a jazz classic. Atlantic Records recorded Hasaan later that year, and the resulting album was shelved, and then thought lost, until it was restored from tape copies of acetates and issued nearly a half century later as Metaphysics: The Lost Atlantic Album. Metaphysics was a critical sensation, and furthered the legend and legacy of Hasaan’s innovative, exhilarating and inventive playing and songs. Retrospect In Retirement Of Delay: The Solo Recordings, another collection of previously unissued performances, followed – promoting The New Yorker to say that it “…reveals his profundity, his overwhelming power, his mighty virtuosity. It does more than put him on the map of jazz history — it expands the map to include the vast expanse of his musical achievement.” Now, Omnivore Recordings presents Reaching For The Stars: Trios / Duos / Solos featuring eleven more previously unissued recordings. The Trios feature Henry Grimes (Thelonious Monk, McCoy Tyner, Sonny Rollins) and Kalil Madi (Freddie McCoy, Mongo Santamaria – as well as Hasaan’s Metaphysics), performing six tracks (four of which appeared in their studio versions on The Max Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan.) It also adds three songs with vocalist Muriel Gilliam, aka Muriel Winston, and a pair of solo portraits of the master pianist. Produced for release by Grammy®award-winning producer Cheryl Pawelski and ASCAP award-winning writer Alan Sukoenig, Reaching For The Stars features a new essay from pianist, composer & writer, Ethan Iverson. As with the previous Omnivore Hasaan Ibn Ali releases, this collection has been painstakingly restored and mastered by Grammy®award-winning engineer Michael Graves. This collection is another look into the previously unheard recordings of Hasaan Ibn Ali whose lost recorded work proves he was Reaching For The Stars and touching them all.

22 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I'm trying - to resist.

I tried to resist the 2cd release of solo piano stuff too — and I did for about 4-5 months, iirc — but I ultimately gave in, and once I heard it, I couldn’t believe I waited that long.

(It turned out to be just shy of incredible, and exceeded my expectations quite a bit — and my expectations weren’t especially low before I got it either.)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I'm not as down on Winston as others...but note - not as down.

But after all, she was there, and that counts for something. At this point, documentation is job #1.

I guess she had sort of a Forrest Gump-like quaility of being at the right place at the right time.

image.jpeg.9f5061a9ed1b74ab16b7dc79ede1bc70.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2023 at 8:35 PM, felser said:

I guess she had sort of a Forrest Gump-like quaility of being at the right place at the right time.

image.jpeg.9f5061a9ed1b74ab16b7dc79ede1bc70.jpeg

Can’t say I’ve ever heard or heard of her before.  So I’m just ‘dropping the needle’ several times on this just this morning — and I’m thinking this is scary enough (at least to me) to have been more appropriate for Halloween night. :ph34r:

Never the less, I’m all in on this new Hasaan release at some point next year — the trio stuff alone should make it worth the entire ticket price.

Well lookee, lookee… one track’s already up on YouTube (which I accidentally found on Pandora this morning just now)…

I haven’t done the math (walking to work as I’m posting this), but I think(?) this may be the same ‘extra’ non-“Legendary” tune of unknown origin that appears on that recent disc by Brian Marsella (who’s also from Philly).

11 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Well lookee, lookee… one track’s already up on YouTube (which I accidentally found on Pandora this morning just now)…

I haven’t done the math (walking to work as I’m posting this), but I think(?) this may be the same ‘extra’ non-“Legendary” tune of unknown origin that appears on that recent disc by Brian Marsella (who’s also from Philly).

This tune was on the lost Atlantic session. However, the issued release was made from a transfer of the original tape and the tune got missed.