Computer Gurus: CD burning app

First, you want to be sure you are using a program that will accurately rip your CDs.  XLD is one example.  For each CD you rip, it gives you a readout of whether each track was copied correctly, or if there are any damaged sectors along the way.  (Even a clean looking CD can have potential damage, and a scratched or scuffed CD may rip perfectly.)

In terms of burning CDs, I'm not sure if certain programs burn more accurately than others.  I have an external powered CD burner, and I use Apple Music playlists for burning CDs. 

My needs are basic, so I use a freebie called Ashampoo Burning Studio FREE. Pretty intuitive AFAIC, but the most recent update has added a step to the drag/drop of files that serves no logical purpose that I can see, but hey, free and functional for the stuff I do.

My advice would be to keep it simple unless you're going to get into more advanced audio/video editing. If all you plan on doing is basic ripping, copying, and burning of CDs (you didn't say you bought a drive that also will do DVD/Blu-Ray, but maybe you did?), there are plenty of good basic programs for free, at least for PCs. Do a little research and go for a consensus pick. There are several.

If you're doing Mac, can't help you, but that's ok. They pretty much make up your mind for you as often as not. 

Yes, A PC owner has a whole world of choices - just make sure that you do the research - 
as opposed to a Mac where you can pretty much be guaranteed that it's been pre-tested
by the computer company itself to work the majority of time.

Edited by rostasi

2 hours ago, sonnymax said:

For Mac folks, I recommend X Lossless Decoder (XLD) that allows you to decode/convert/play various 'lossless' audio files (FLAC is my favorite).

And for PC, you still have Foobar, which has been my friend for some pretty out there shit over the years (.ape files, anybody?) It's free too. It just works. 

I'm an engineer so I love tweaking things. I've been using Exact Audio Copy for decades for all things ripping & burning. Yes, it can be daunting the first time you use it, but as someone who writes detailed data sheets for complex RF products, I find it pretty simple. On top of that, there are a ton of tutorials on setting it up.

If you want the most accurate rip, EAC is the way to go. As burners go... there are better ones but it does work for that too.