The Hell With PayPal

As a precaution, I always use a credit card through PayPal with most merchants to provide an extra layer of protection.

Last month I bought something from a vendor based in Hong Kong, though they disguised it in their email communications until I made the purchase.

The product was unusable and it took me forever to get them to issue a return authorization and return address. I shipped it via insured USPS on 9-30, delivery was confirmed on 10-4, yet I have not been issued a refund. PayPal asked for more documentation and I provided it, my claim was rejected, they said the billing was correct, totally ignoring that the authorized return has never been refunded. 

My credit card issuer is now handling the case and they have been far more responsive so far. There is plenty of documentation that this company is operating in a fraudulent manner.

I hope no one else has had this issue with PayPal, I would have been screwed if this had been a cash payment.

I also always use credit card through PayPal (another benefit is the cash back bonus on the card), and also have found credit card companies working harder for me on claims, where ebay/paypal always seem to side with the seller, ragardless of the true circumstances.

The only issue I had with PayPal was years ago when I asked for a refund from a seller who misrepresented a CD as "Mint" when it had a mangled booklet. I sent the disc back and PayPal refunded me the money. The seller then put in a claim for non-payment, so Paypal allowed it & charged my credit card again. I got them to refund it (again) but somehow the seller managed to convince them to charge me a third time. I got it back once again and finally managed to get PayPal to block it for a fourth time. I'll tell you this - if they had charged me one more time, I was closing my account with them. Giving a crook 2 more chances to rip me off was 2 too many.

Good news, I got emails today from both PayPal and the credit card company that a full refund will post in two days . The credit card issuer must have lit a fire under them, as I filed a complaint after PayPal’s rejection. I also filed a complaint with the FTC so hopefully they will investigate this shady business.

14 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Same here.

Yesterday, I received an email, apparently from PayPal, that I was being charged $747 for some appliance. I presumed it was fraudulent but I logged onto my account to make sure. Someone indeed had sent me an invoice for that amount but PayPal immediately flagged it as spam and canceled it. I called to make sure and they confirmed that no funds had been paid.