Complete Evening with Joe Henderson

hbbfam

Much as I love Joe, I’ve always been nonplussed by State of the Tenor — which I’ve always thought was mostly because of the lack of Joe’s own tunes (which I think would have been more interesting to hear in a trio-only format) — but that’s definitely not the only reason (more below).

Then “Beatrice” from this new Complete Evening thing comes on my Pandora the other day — and man, was I ever sucked in!!

Maybe(?) is it a Haden vs. Carter thing? (no small thing whatsoever) — but then also, Al Foster’s playing on Evening (at least this one cut) absolutely danced in a way I don’t EVER remember hearing on State. So does Al play that much differently with Ron? (yeah, maybe?) Were the drums recorded differently? (yeah, maybe too — they definitely seemed hotter).

Anyway, I’d never bothered with Evening back in the day, because I already had a TON of Joe on CD (and I mean tons and tons).

But that one “Beatrice” cut has be rethinking that.

I still have so much Joe on CD (80%+ of his commercial output, and that’s including sideman work) — but when I moved to DC, I sold my State of the Tenor, as it was always more lacking than fulfilling.

Maybe I need Complete Evening instead.

On 10/21/2023 at 10:34 AM, felser said:

I already own Evening.  Do the extra tunes justify buying Complete Evening also?

All three of the extra tunes (only) were also available on this CD, which also features 6 other Joe Henderson tunes as recorded by various other artists, all from various other albums also on the ‘Red’ label.

https://www.discogs.com/release/4366136-Joe-Henderson-In-N-Around

The first one (track 4) only lists Bobby Watson (not a misprint), because it’s a solo alto sax cut with just him — and a darn good one at that.  The whole disc is a dandy (I’ve actually got one, that I found on eBay 10-15 years ago).

So it turns out all I’m lacking is the main Evening album.

Here’s Bobby’s solo track…

And BTW, there appears to have been a separate release (or maybe online only?) of just those 6 Henderson cover tunes — at least I found this playlist on YouTube, with all of them and what seems to be dedicated artwork.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n-L4dP2ZHD9NgxkJNe55ISVXcH9YSN78s&si=QffxGBDK7qSufAD3

Edit: Interestingly, the artwork seems to have 8 tunes listed — but the playlist is just 6 (I’m assuming the same six as on my CD above, but I haven’t checked).

In any case, there probably was a physical release then with 8 different Joe Hen covers — only 6 of which appeared on the oddball Italian CD with just the 3 bonus tracks from Evening.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

On 10/21/2023 at 10:34 AM, felser said:

I already own Evening.  Do the extra tunes justify buying Complete Evening also?

That depends on your expectations for a complete evening.  With that title, I would expect Joe to pick me up and pay for dinner. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

16 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

That depends on your expectations for a complete evening.  With that title, I would expect Joe to pick me up and pay for dinner. 

Thank your for this. I was afraid that I was going to have to do it. Except I would have thrown in some weed/lines jokes and then pissed off some people. 

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Thank your for this. I was afraid that I was going to have to do it. Except I would have thrown in some weed/lines jokes and then pissed off some people. 

Well, if he's driving, I don't want to encourage bad behavior with weed.  If we take Lyft or Uber, that's a different story.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think(?) somehow(?) I never picked up a physical copy of The Montreal Tapes: Tribute to Joe Henderson — which is also with Haden and Foster (and live).

Guess I oughta fix that one of these days too — maybe.

Opinions on that, vs. Evening?

FWIW & YMMV:

1. Evening

2. Vanguard

3. Montreal

5 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I think(?) somehow(?) I never picked up a physical copy of The Montreal Tapes: Tribute to Joe Henderson — which is also with Haden and Foster (and live).

Guess I oughta fix that one of these days too — maybe.

Opinions on that, vs. Evening?

Scored this in the Haden complete Montreal 6CD box a few years back

https://www.discogs.com/release/2412236-Charlie-Haden-The-Montreal-Tapes