Romano Mussolini, Jazz Pianist

Teasing the Korean

He was omnipresent on the Italian scene, and of course his family lineage helped for the tabloid side of the media. :D

In line with my personal tastes in jazz I've been attracted more by his relatively early works when he made an impact on the scene  (so am not familiar with his later film scores you mention). But his vinyls are hard to come by and so far I only have his 1957 LP "Romano Mussolini con Nunzio Rotondo e Lilian Terry" on (Italian) RCA LPM 10010.

He was considered a force to be reckoned with on the scene and his appearances at various festivals were generally praised in the contemporary jazz press.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I don´t have so many Chet Baker albums, the few I have is from the period I saw him live (1978-88), but in my youth a friend had an album which I think had Mussolini on piano, maybe it was titled "Chet is Back" ???? 
It was in the early 60´s and had a tune with the title "Balatta în forma de Blues", maybe this was Mussolini´s composition, who knows..... 

It was a nice album, indeed, but I´m not really a collector, so I just listened to it at my former friend´s place.....

Chet is Back has Amedeo Tommasi on piano (who also contributed his own composition Ballata in forma di blues)... fwiw, Mussolini mostly recorded as a leader. Here he can be seen with Baker and Lars Gullin:

Edited by Niko

oh, this I think I have on video, but the video is two parts, one of it is this one, and the other is from 1987 which I liked more. 

So, I had thought it is another album. I think it was an album from the early 60´s , maybe on RCA or such a label, it had a double cover I think, and this "Ballatta in Forma de Blues" . It had a colour foto of Chet....., I don´t remember the personnel. 

53 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

So, I had thought it is another album. I think it was an album from the early 60´s , maybe on RCA or such a label, it had a double cover I think, and this "Ballatta in Forma de Blues" . It had a colour foto of Chet....., I don´t remember the personnel. 

A check on Discogs might trigger your memory. ;)

13 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Baker and Gullin seem uninspired on those clips. Shame. 

Interesting. I had the same impression, but must admit that I saw the DVD only one time. Looks like Chet tries to act super cool. I love Chet´s late work in the last 10 years of his live where he really played with a lot of soul and fantastic ideas, but for the 50´s I prefer Miles, he could do that ballad/standard playing much better .....

22 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

A check on Discogs might trigger your memory. ;)

Well, I´m not very familiar with Discogs but with your help I think I found the album. The friend who had bought it, was with me at a festival where after the festival he bought records from each artist who performed on those three days (with the exception of those who didn´t impress him). So he bought that one Chet, one Dexter album, one Max Roach album, Sun Ra of course, Sam Rivers and yeah, the Chet Baker album he had bought had "Star Eyes" and "Well You Needn´t" and so on , that means mostly jazz standards, with the exception of "Balatta" which he laughed off with something "even the title sounds more classic than jazzy...". 

And now I see that there was another Italian pianist on it, who actually had composed that track.

On 10/30/2023 at 9:38 AM, Gheorghe said:

I don´t have so many Chet Baker albums, the few I have is from the period I saw him live (1978-88), but in my youth a friend had an album which I think had Mussolini on piano, maybe it was titled "Chet is Back" ???? 
It was in the early 60´s and had a tune with the title "Balatta în forma de Blues", maybe this was Mussolini´s composition, who knows..... 

It was a nice album, indeed, but I´m not really a collector, so I just listened to it at my former friend´s place.....

Amedeo Tommasi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amedeo_Tommasi was on piano https://www.discogs.com/de/release/5729703-Chet-Baker-Sextet-Chet-Is-Back  

Edited by optatio